Mary Sweeney, BSN, RN, CEN is an oncology nurse navigator and freelance medical writer. Before working in nurse navigation and patient education, Mary was an emergency nurse at a level 1 trauma center for two years, followed by 4 years as an officer in the Navy Nurse Corps. In the military, she worked in several areas, including emergency/trauma, post-anesthesia, and deployment medicine.
She graduated with a B.A. in Communications in 2009 from George Mason University and went on to attend an accelerated second-degree nursing program at GMU. Mary graduated with her BSN in 2010 and has since developed a well-rounded nursing career with experience in many different areas. Mary still serves her country as a member of the Navy Reserves. When she isn’t at work, she loves to spend time with her husband and twins, and cooks new recipes every chance she gets! She also writes blog posts occasionally about life with twins and how to cope.
Mary’s interests include clinical staff and patient education, and promoting open lines of communication between patients and their healthcare team. The healthcare world can be overwhelming to patients, and she wants to work to change that!
Mary Sweeney's Education & Training:
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Public Relations concentration, George Mason
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, George Mason University
Mary Sweeney's Work History & Experience:
- Nurse Navigator at GW Medical Faculty Associates
- Emergency/Trauma Registered Nurse at Inova Health System
- Post-Anesthesia RN at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Emergency nurse at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
- ER/Trauma RN at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti
Mary Sweeney Has Been Featured On: