Cutting teeth doesn’t seem like such a big deal until you have a teething toddler in your house.
One of the best ways you can give your teething child some relief is by offering them something to chew on.
We’ve taken a bite out of the vast market and bring you our roundup of the best teething necklaces currently available.
- Can be put in the freezer
- Complies with baby and toy safety
- Adjustable length
- Cheaper than many other brands
- Looks like a real necklace
- Different hardness levels and bead textures
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- 100% silicone
- Perfect for different stages of teething
- Stimulate sensory development
- Features stylish color palette
The Different Types of Teething Necklace
There are two types of teething necklaces — the ones made for babies to wear and the ones made for moms to wear.
Teething Necklaces for Babies: A Hazardous Choice (Not Recommended)
Necklaces for babies are usually made of firm, chewable plastic beads to soothe those tender gums. Gaining popularity are beautiful Baltic amber necklaces, whose manufacturers claim can release a pain-relieving substance when babies chew on them. Though your little one may indeed love chewing them, there’s no evidence for these pain-relieving claims.
For this reason, we strongly recommend you do not buy a teething necklace that is intended for your baby to wear.
Teething Necklaces for Moms: A Safer Alternative
The other kind of teething necklace is made for mothers to wear while their babies chew on them. These are made out of baby-safe, chewy materials that can be cleaned after being doused in drool. The strangulation risk is reduced, but you’ll still need to be vigilant while your baby is gnawing on it.
Do Amber Teething Necklaces Work?
Makers of Baltic amber baby teething necklaces claim that the beads are anti-inflammatory and analgesic, so when your baby chews on them they’re not just getting physical relief but actually soothing themselves with an all-natural painkiller. But as you might imagine, this is nothing but a bit of wishful thinking (3).
The use of Amber Teething necklaces to reduce teething pain is not supported by modern science (4).
If you choose to use a teething necklace, we recommend buying a 100% food-grade silicone teething necklace designed for moms to wear.
How to Choose the Best Teething Necklace
Here’s what you should consider before buying a teething necklace:
- Non-toxicity: Make sure your necklace is truly non-toxic. Look for 100% food-grade FDA-approved silicone that is free of BPAs, Phthalates, cadmium, lead, and latex.
- Effectiveness: Make sure the claims people make about teething necklaces are scientifically backed. Amber beads, for instance, have not been proven to help babies any more than any other type of material (5).
- Alternatives: If you decide they aren’t right for you and your baby, you can always buy a teething toy or find fabric for them to chew on, apply ice to the gums, or offer pain relief medications like Tylenol.
Best Teething Necklaces of 2021
If you decide that you want to give teething necklaces a try, here are some models for you to consider.
1. Itybity Baby Silicone Teething Necklace
This necklace is just right for spring and summer. Its beads are good-sized but not so large that they’ll draw attention from your outfit. They’ll complement what you’re wearing, not overpower it, and the gentle pastel shades can be styled in many ways.
It has a smooth cord that won’t rip at your hair on the back of your neck, and a break-away clasp that gives you additional security should your baby decide to snatch at it. Also, each bead is individually knotted to help prevent the possibility of your baby choking on the beads if the cord were to break.
Since it’s made of food-grade silicone, it doesn’t contain BPA. It’s also safe to throw in the dishwasher when it’s time for a good cleaning.
- Can be put in the freezer to give your baby additional pain relief.
- This necklace complies with baby and toy safety for U.S. and European standards.
- Adjustable length.
- The break-away clasp breaks away too easily, which means babies can pull it off.
- The necklace is rather heavy and may be too large for some moms.
2. Bebe By Me Cosmopolitan Teething Necklace
This necklace will meet all your baby’s teething needs. It has hard beads, soft pieces, and cushy beads so she’ll be able to find something that feels comfy against her aching gums.
Made out of food-grade silicone, this necklace is toxin and BPA-free. Plus, the soft colors of the beads means the necklace will pair up with many of your outfits without clashing.
Not everybody likes bold colors, so this is a necklace that will suit moms who don’t necessarily want to make a statement with their necklace.
The necklace has an upgraded clasp that is stronger than the ones this company once used. It’s nice when a company realizes there’s room for improvement on a product and does the extra work to implement that change. It gives consumers like us a vote of confidence in the company.
The 15-inch length isn’t too short or too long for most women.
- Cheaper than many other brands.
- It looks like a real necklace.
- Different hardness levels and textures of beads.
- The beads don’t go all the way around this necklace, which means your baby may be chewing on the cord at times.
- The smaller beads might not hold up if your baby is an avid chewer.
3. Lofca Silicone Baby Teething Necklace
This product combines fashion with function, and it comes at a very affordable price.
It’s made for moms to wear. When your baby is teething, he can chew on this beaded necklace that will be hanging around your neck, which eliminates the strangulation risk.
Made from food-grade organic silicone, this necklace gives moms who are worried about plastic a different alternative to help with their child’s teething pain. It doesn’t contain BPA, and you can can treat this necklace just like you would a teething ring. You can stick it in the freezer to let the chill help your baby’s tender gums.
When this necklace starts getting a bit dirty, you can clean it in the dishwasher or simply wash it in hot, soapy water.
- Affordable price for a woman’s necklace.
- Easy to clean.
- BPA free.
- Won’t go with every outfit.
- Not the most attractive teething necklace.
4. Bebe by Me 'Harper' Teething Necklace
Your baby will experience a lot of different sensations when teething. Be prepared with this all-in-one necklace to help comfort them no matter what they’re feeling. It features different types of beads, each with a different level of hardness.
Your baby can choose from hard beads, soft beads, neutral, chewy, or cushy beads. They are also different shapes to help stimulate your child’s sensory development. Your little one can find the perfect one to massage and soothe their aching gums at the moment.
All of the beads are made from the safest organic silicone and are free of BPA and toxins. It is freezer safe and dishwasher safe.
You’ll also love the three-color palette options, electric blue, and icy peppermint or exotic ivory. Each necklace is 15 inches long, has an extra-strong clasp to prevent breaking, and comes in a luxury gift box.
- Different types of beads give your baby exactly what they need at different stages of teething.
- Shaped beads stimulate sensory development.
- Features stylish color palette.
- Beads may feel like a little too close together.