Cutting teeth doesn’t seem like such a big deal until you have a teething toddler in your house.
One of the best ways you can give your teething child some relief is by offering them something to chew on.
We’ve taken a bite out of the vast market and bring you our roundup of the best teething necklaces currently available.
- Can be put in the freezer
- Complies with baby and toy safety
- Adjustable length
- Attractive design for both mommy and baby
- 100% kid-friendly material
- Exclusively designed
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- 100% safe
- Premium BPA- and phthalate-free silicone material
- Stimulate sensory development
- Variety of designs
Best Teething Necklaces of 2023
If you decide that you want to give teething necklaces a try, here are some models for you to consider.
1. Itybity Baby Silicone Teething Necklace
This necklace is just right for spring and summer. Its beads are good-sized but not so large that they’ll draw attention from your outfit. They’ll complement what you’re wearing, not overpower it, and the gentle pastel shades can be styled in many ways.
It has a smooth cord that won’t rip at your hair on the back of your neck, and a break-away clasp that gives you additional security should your baby decide to snatch at it. Also, each bead is individually knotted to help prevent the possibility of your baby choking on the beads if the cord were to break.
Since it’s made of food-grade silicone, it doesn’t contain BPA. It’s also safe to throw in the dishwasher when it’s time for a good cleaning.
- Can be put in the freezer to give your baby additional pain relief.
- This necklace complies with baby and toy safety for U.S. and European standards.
- Adjustable length.
- The break-away clasp breaks away too easily, which means babies can pull it off.
- The necklace is rather heavy and may be too large for some moms.
2. Maisonette January Moon Rainbow Sherbet Teething Necklace
Simple But Stylish
This necklace will meet all your baby’s teething needs. It has yummy chewable pieces so she’ll be able to find something that feels comfy against her aching gums.
Made out of 100 percent silicone beads, this necklace is toxin and BPA-free making it kid-friendly. Plus, the soft colors of the beads means the necklace will pair up with many of your outfits without clashing.
For someone who likes pastel colors, this is a necklace that will suit moms who necessarily want to make a statement with their necklace. It comes in six shades that complement each other. It may even look like just a fashionable accessory on the first glance.
The necklace has a breakaway clasp that is of premium quality with 18k gold plated rubberized stopper beads that offers a great value for money.
- Attractive design for both mommy and baby.
- 100% kid-friendly material.
- Exclusively designed.
- The design may not go well for boys as it will for girls.
- Higher price point.
3. Atsky Silicone Baby Teething Necklace
Best Budget Teething Necklace
This product combines fashion with function, and it comes at a very affordable price.
It’s made for moms to wear. When your baby is teething, he can chew on this beaded necklace that will be hanging around your neck, which eliminates the strangulation risk.
Made from food-grade silicone, this necklace gives moms who are worried about plastic a different alternative to help with their child’s teething pain. It doesn’t contain BPA, and you can can treat this necklace just like you would a teething ring. You can stick it in the freezer to let the chill help your baby’s tender gums.
When this necklace starts getting a bit dirty, you can clean it in the dishwasher or simply wash it in hot, soapy water.
- Affordable price for a woman’s necklace.
- Easy to clean.
- BPA free.
- Won’t go with every outfit.
- Thickness could be improved.
4. Hoaisun Sensory Chew Teething Necklace
Best All-in-One Teething Necklace
Your baby will experience a lot of different sensations when teething. Be prepared with this necklace to help comfort them no matter what they’re feeling. It features different shapes to help stimulate your child’s sensory development. Your little one can find the perfect one to massage and soothe their aching gums at the moment.
All of the beads are made from the safest silicone and are free of BPA and toxins. It is dishwasher safe.
You’ll also love the different color palette options. Each necklace has an extra-strong clasp to prevent breaking.
- Two color options.
- Shaped beads stimulate sensory development.
- Features stylish color palette.
- Design is not gender-neutral.
The Different Types of Teething Necklace
There are two types of teething necklaces — the ones made for babies to wear and the ones made for moms to wear.
Teething Necklaces for Babies: A Hazardous Choice (Not Recommended)
Necklaces for babies are usually made of firm, chewable plastic beads to soothe those tender gums. Gaining popularity are beautiful Baltic amber necklaces, whose manufacturers claim can release a pain-relieving substance when babies chew on them. Though your little one may indeed love chewing them, there’s no evidence for these pain-relieving claims.
For this reason, we strongly recommend you do not buy a teething necklace that is intended for your baby to wear.
Teething Necklaces for Moms: A Safer Alternative
The other kind of teething necklace is made for mothers to wear while their babies chew on them. These are made out of baby-safe, chewy materials that can be cleaned after being doused in drool. The strangulation risk is reduced, but you’ll still need to be vigilant while your baby is gnawing on it.
Do Amber Teething Necklaces Work?
Makers of Baltic amber baby teething necklaces claim that the beads are anti-inflammatory and analgesic, so when your baby chews on them they’re not just getting physical relief but actually soothing themselves with an all-natural painkiller. But as you might imagine, this is nothing but a bit of wishful thinking (3).
The use of Amber Teething necklaces to reduce teething pain is not supported by modern science (4).
If you choose to use a teething necklace, we recommend buying a 100% food-grade silicone teething necklace designed for moms to wear.
How to Choose the Best Teething Necklace
Here’s what you should consider before buying a teething necklace:
- Non-toxicity: Make sure your necklace is truly non-toxic. Look for 100% food-grade FDA-approved silicone that is free of BPAs, Phthalates, cadmium, lead, and latex.
- Effectiveness: Make sure the claims people make about teething necklaces are scientifically backed. Amber beads, for instance, have not been proven to help babies any more than any other type of material (5).
- Alternatives: If you decide they aren’t right for you and your baby, you can always buy a teething toy or find fabric for them to chew on, apply ice to the gums, or offer pain relief medications like Tylenol.