Brushing your baby’s teeth doesn’t have to be an epic battle you’re destined to lose. You can make a brushing session seem like a big reward if you buy a toothbrush that keeps them engaged and entertained.
We’ve spent hours researching the best toothbrushes for toddlers, getting recommendations from dentists and parents alike. We tested the most recommended toothbrushes on our own toddlers, and we’ve come up with this list of ten winners.
Tooth-cleaning time will be easier with one of these great picks.
- Assorted colors
- Vegetable-based bristles
- Soft and gentle on gums
- Economical four-pack
- BPA- and phthalate-free
- Super soft bristles
- Replaceable AAA battery
- Replaceable brush heads
- Comes with a timer
- Lots of accessories in this set
- Comes with a brushing chart
- Replaceable batteries
- 60-day risk-free trial
- Compatible with Oral-B refills
- Comes with 3 colors of cases
- Can be used on pets
- Affordable option
- Extra soft bristles
- Non-slip handle
- Great value for money
- Fun and appealing
- Four different heads
- Massages gums and cleans teeth
- Suitable for newborns
- Cute giraffe design
- Soft bristles are gentle
- Easy for babies to hold
The Best Baby Toothbrushes of 2023
Here are the top baby toothbrushes on the market.
1. Radius Totz Toothbrush for 18 Months
Best Baby Toothbrush for Sensitive Teeth
These toothbrushes have extra-soft bristles, which is good news for kids with sensitive teeth. The bristles are vegetable-based, and the handles are BPA-free and don’t contain latex, lead, or phthalates.
The rounded corners on the brush’s head make it harder for your child to hurt their teeth or gums while brushing.
You’ll get three with this set, so you’ll have a backup waiting in the wings when you need a replacement.
These work well for kids who are at least 18 months of age.
- The three-pack includes an assortment of colors.
- Made with vegetable-based bristles rather than nylon.
- Soft and gentle on gums.
- The handle gets really slippery when wet, which makes it hard to hold.
- The wide handle doesn’t fit into a normal-sized toothbrush holder.
2. Jordan Step 1 Baby Toothbrush
Best First Toothbrush for Baby
This toothbrush is designed for children who have sprouted their first tooth, and they can use it until they are two years old. The handles are so wide they won’t be able to accidentally trigger their gag reflex by sticking the brush too far in their mouth. They have a hole in the center for easy gripping.
A nice touch is that your baby can also use the handle as a teething ring.
While most of the bristles are white, some colored ones in the center help you and your child use the right amount of toothpaste.
- These come in an economical four-pack.
- They are BPA-free and phthalate-free.
- The bristles are super soft.
- Some parents complained the bristles came out easily when their baby chewed on them.
3. Brush Baby BabySonic Electric Toothbrush
Best Electric Toothbrush for Toddlers
This electric toothbrush isn’t quite as vigorous as some of the adult electric versions are. Instead, it uses gentle vibrations to clean teeth.
The brush head is small enough that it won’t feel too large in your child’s mouth.
We love that it’ll help your child brush for the right amount of time because it has a two-minute light time. It also has a 30-second pulse reminder that goes off when it’s time for your child to brush another section of their mouth, ensuring they don’t miss any spots.
- The AAA battery is replaceable.
- You can also buy replaceable brush heads.
- The timer helps teach good brushing habits.
- More expensive than a manual brush.
- It doesn’t spin when brushing.
4. Brusheez Children’s Electric Toothbrush
Best Toothbrush for a Busy Toddler
There’s so much to look at with this set that your toddler will soon forget they hate brushing their teeth.
It comes with a two-minute sand timer your child can watch to figure out when it’s time to stop brushing. It also comes with a cute rinse cup that your child will love to use, a stand to hold everything, and a replacement head.
Plus, it includes a cover to keep everything clean between uses.
You can choose from four animal designs, so you’ll be able to find one your child likes.
- You get a lot of accessories in this set.
- It comes with a brushing chart to help your child stay on track.
- The batteries are replaceable.
- The button is a little hard to push for a toddler.
- It’s a bit loud.
5. Oral-B Disney Kids Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Best Baby Toothbrush with a Timer
When you purchase this, you get a free download of the Disney Magic timer app. In addition to the two-minute timer, the app includes a calendar for your child to view their progress. They can get rewards for brushing frequently and long enough.
This combines a child’s love of rewards with their love of technology.
It’s rechargeable and is compatible with a variety of Oral-B brush head refills.
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The charging station doesn’t take up much room.
- Choose between Disney’s Frozen or Raya characters.
- The button is a little hard to push.
6. BabyBaus Finger Baby Toothbrush
Best Finger Baby Toothbrush
You can use these finger toothbrushes on both babies and toddlers. They come in a three-pack in a carrying case, so they’ll stay clean when not in use. The cases make them great for travel as well.
BabyBaus brushes have been approved by the FDA and are made of 100 percent food-grade material.
They slide right over your finger, which is nice for moms who are worried about their child jamming a traditional toothbrush too far into their mouth. The bristles are soft on gums and teeth.
- These are affordable.
- They come in three different colors of cases, so you can tell the brushes apart if you’re using them for more than one child.
- These will also work well for your pet’s teeth.
- People with larger fingers may not be able to slip the brush on.
- Because they’re clear, they can be hard to spot when you set them down for a minute.
7. Colgate My First Baby and Toddler Toothbrush
Best Baby Toothbrush for Sore Gums
There’s nothing fancy about these toothbrushes, but they’re excellent for babies with sore gums because the bristles are extra soft. They shouldn’t irritate inflamed gums at all.
These come in a six-pack, and they’re perfect for babies to two-year-olds.
The non-slip handle will help you and your baby keep a firm grip, even if things get a bit wet and your child gets a little wild.
- These are affordable.
- The bristles stay put even if they’re chewed on.
- It’s easy to hold.
- They’re so soft that they don’t last very long — you might not get a full three months out of them.
- The angle between the handle and the head makes it a little awkward for parents doing the brushing.
8. Dr. Fresh Extra Soft Toothbrushes
Colorful Kid's Toothbrush
Colors are enticing for boys and girls. They’ll be excited when they see these colorful new toothbrushes, and hopefully, it will inspire a little more enthusiasm for brushing.
These sweet toothbrushes come in a pack of five and are made using bright, eye-catching colors.
The wavy texture of the handle helps your toddler get a firm grip.
- An inexpensive option.
- Great value for money.
- They’re fun and appealing.
- The bristles tend to fall out with chewing.
- The bristles aren’t as soft as some other brands.
9. Nuby 4 Stage Oral Care Set System
Best Massaging Baby Toothbrush
The Nuby 4 Stage Oral Care Set System is excellent if you want a toothbrush that massages and cleans gums.
A massaging toothbrush is a great investment to protect your child’s delicate gums. This set comes with four different heads.
First, the soft silicone massager and gum cleaner are great for newborns. Keep in mind this section goes over your finger. Keep it tight and secure and sit your baby upright, leaning slightly forward, to prevent any choking hazards if the head pops off.
Second, the soft gum massager is ideal for babies with incoming teeth.
The third head is great for cleaning new teeth during teething.
The fourth brush is made with soft nylon bristles for gently cleaning fully developed teeth.
We love that you can use this product from the first day of your baby’s life until they are six years old.
- Four heads for different stages.
- Massages gums and cleans teeth.
- Suitable for newborns.
- If your child chews on the bristles, they don’t last long.
- You don’t get to choose the color.
10. Dr. Brown's Baby Toothbrush
Best Toothbrush With Soft Bristles
This incredibly adorable giraffe toothbrush is sure to be a hit with your little one! Suitable for children from zero to three years old, this is our top recommendation if you want something with soft bristles. Soft bristles are gentle on your baby’s gums, especially if they have sensitive mouths.
The toothbrush itself is comfortable and easy to hold. So your baby will have a fun time learning how to hold the brush and clean their own teeth.
It’s also a hygienic option since the toothbrush can stand up on its own using its four stable legs. You don’t need to lay it flat on the countertop where it can pick up extra germs and bacteria.
- Cute giraffe design.
- Suitable for children from newborn to three years.
- Soft bristles are gentle on sensitive mouths.
- Easy for babies to hold.
- It’s not very durable. Some parents stated that it started to wear down after one week.
Types of Toothbrushes for Babies and Toddlers
There are several different kinds of toothbrushes you can purchase for your baby or toddler. Most are inexpensive, so if your baby decides they hate one type, you can move on to another without any significant loss.
Here are the standard types of baby and toddler toothbrushes:
How to Choose a Toothbrush for Baby
Babies are pretty easy to please. They like anything that looks cool. But even more than that, you need to pay attention to how the bristles feel because if they’re painful in any way, you’ll have a fight on your hands.
Here are some things you should pay attention to when toothbrush shopping for your child.
The Bottom Line
While all of the above have their charms, we think the best baby toothbrush is the Radius Totz toothbrush.
For affordability, we’ve always been a fan of manual toothbrushes, especially for babies and toddlers who are sometimes turned off by loud and scary-looking electric toothbrushes.
We like that these are affordable and the bristles are so soft that kids with sensitive teeth or gums will still be fine using them. The round corners of the brush head add to the comfort.
It can be frustrating trying to find a small toothbrush your baby will like, but remember to keep trying. Never let a tantrum stop you from fighting the good fight! Your baby’s teeth are important, so don’t give up — no matter what.