Do you want to do something to help your baby with the pain of teething?
Watching your baby feeling so uncomfortable is tough. It’s a mother’s instinct to try to protect their children from everything they can, or at least do everything in their power to help.
We’ve rounded up the best teething toys to help relieve your baby’s achy gums.
- Dishwasher safe
- Babies can hold them easily
- Non-toxic, phthalate-free, BPA-free
- Made entirely of soft, chewy silicone
- Comes with a case
- Looks like food
- Moneyback guarantee
- Massages baby’s gums
- Smooth, round edges
- Heavy duty teether
- Perfect for baby's grip
- Soft cuddly body
- Multiple textures
- Eye-catching bright colors
- FDA approved
- Affordable and non-toxic
- Freezer and dishwasher safe
- All-natural materials
- Cute looking
- Soft for cuddling
- Award-winning grasping toy
- Non-toxic & water-based
- Attractive bright colors
- Can be refrigerated
- Different textures
- Keeps baby entertained
- Wide variety of shapes to choose
- Comes with 9 toys
When Should I Give My Baby Teething Toys?
That way you won’t be scrambling to buy some when you realize they need them immediately.
As a parent, it’s always best to be prepared for situations before they occur. You’ll be less stressed if you have a plan for everything.
How to Choose Teething Toys for Baby
There is such a wide variety of teething toys available now that you really need to put some thought into what you want or you’ll be overwhelmed. Here are some factors to consider to help you narrow your search.
Some moms can feel their blood pressure going up just thinking about their baby chewing on a plastic teether. They worry about the harmful chemicals their baby may be ingesting. If plastic isn’t to your liking, there are other options, like wood or silicone.
Some products are filled with a soothing gel-like material that you can refrigerate to keep cool, which feels great on your baby’s gums. But if you’re anxious about your baby potentially poking a hole in the teether and possible swallowing some of that gel, you may want to skip this type.
Your baby is going to drop so many toys, it’ll drive you crazy every time you have to bend down and pick them up again, especially if the ground is dirty. One way to solve this problem is by getting a teething toy that clips onto their outfit.
Babies seem to have the best grip on products that have a ring for them to hold onto. Toys that a straight handle were always trickier for my babies to use.
Some products make a squeaky noise when babies bite on them. That may make your baby smile, but it can annoy you after a while. When your baby isn’t crying, you may love having nothing but silence in your house. If that sounds like you, you’ll want to skip things that squeak.
Choking is a real hazard with babies. Since they love to put everything in their mouths, they’re at increased risk of choking on things. Because their airways are so small, it doesn’t take much to plug them up (2). You’ll need to make sure their teething toy isn’t so small that they could stick it entirely in the mouth and choke on it.
The Best Teething Toys of 2021
Here are the top teething toys on the market.
1. Bonbino Teether Rings 4-Pack
Moms who like traditional teething rings should approve of this four-pack set. They’re non-toxic, phthalate-free, BPA-free, and they come in four different bright colors.
Each silicone ring has several different textures on it so your baby can find a spot that feels good on their aching gums.
The ring shape, along with the texture, will help your baby get a firm grip. You can also slide them on your wrist so your baby has one whenever they need it around the house.
- They’re dishwasher safe for easy sanitizing.
- Babies can hold onto them easily.
- It comes with an e-book that shares remedies to help your baby with teething.
- They may be a little large for small babies so they won’t be able to reach their back teeth.
- Might be a bit expensive for four simple rings.
2. Nuby Silicone Teethe-eez Teething Toy
This teether is made entirely of soft, chewy silicone. One end has flexible bristles that can help soothe your baby’s sore gums. It also has different textured surfaces on the handle and the end of the teether so your baby can chew on either side of it.
- It’s inexpensive.
- The small ring attached makes it easy for babies to grab onto.
- It comes with a case so it won’t get dirty when not in use.
- If you have pets, their hair will stick to it like crazy.
- It’s a bit big for babies who are cutting their first teeth.
3. Baby Elefun Teethers Teething Toy
To entice your child into wanting to try these, they’re made to look just like cookies.
That’s why they’re are perfect for 3 and 4-month-olds, who are at that point where they’re very interested in adult food. But, unlike toddlers, they don’t yet realize the delicious flavor that cookies normally have so they won’t feel cheated when they start chewing on these!
- Because it looks like food, your baby will want to bite into this.
- It comes with cords for the stroller.
- The teether has a textured surface which seems to massage your baby’s gums.
- The cord should only be used under strict parental supervision.
4. Sili Chews iPhone Toddler Teething Toy
Toddlers are like teenagers in some ways — they both love to get their hands on phones. Since this teething toy is made to look like a phone, toddlers will want to check it out. With a phone of their own, maybe they won’t be as interested in your phone now.
This teether is also easy to clean — you just have to rinse it off.
The smooth, rounded edges won’t be too sharp for your baby’s mouth, and the phone is big enough that it’ll fit well in your baby’s hands.
- It’s easy for toddlers to hold.
- The phone has ridges on it so they can chew on the part that feels most comfortable.
- It may be enough to get your toddler to leave your phone alone!
- It’s a bit pricey.
- Because it doesn’t make any noise or have more than one color to it, it may not keep your toddler occupied for long.
5. Lamaze Muffin the Moose Teething Toy
This is an adorable product offers a lot more than just teething for babies. The antlers on the moose are soft teethers your baby should have fun chewing on.
The legs of the moose will crinkle every time your baby grabs them, which will make your baby want to keep doing it since they’ll be rewarded with that noise.
When your baby presses on the stomach of the moose, it makes a squeaking sound. The moose also has a clip that will keep it attached to your baby’s stroller or diaper bag. That means when you’re out on walks, you don’t have to worry about the moose being dropped on the ground and accidentally left behind.
- The body is soft so your baby can cuddle it.
- This toy has multiple textures to keep your baby interested.
- It has eye-catching bright colors.
- When you have it hanging off a stroller, your baby won’t be able to reach the antlers to chew on them.
- It’s big enough that your baby may well have trouble holding onto it.
6. Tinabless 5-Pack Teething Toys
This five pack of fruit-shaped teething toys can be stashed in the freezer so your baby will feel the soothing chill whenever they chew on them.
Concerned about safety? These are FDA approved and made out of food-grade silicone, plus they’re phthalate-, latex-, BPA-, lead- and PVC-free, so no worries there.
The fruit toys have various textures so your baby will get a different sensation with each one. The handles also have a no-slip grip so your little one will be able to hold onto them well.
- These teethers will all feel different on your baby’s gums.
- They are affordable considering you get five.
- They’re safe in the freezer as well as the dishwasher.
- You’ll have to watch your baby closely because these are on the small side, and your baby may be able to fit the whole thing in their mouth.
- The handles are very thin, which may be tricky for younger children to hold.
7. Organic Farm Buddies Teething Rattle
This charming rattle is made out of 100 percent organic cotton, so you don’t have to worry about your baby really tucking into it.
It also uses sustainable corn fiber filler, which is natural and hypoallergenic. These toys are safe for any age, and moms who are concerned about unnatural substances in their baby’s toys might like that these are good for baby, and good for the environment.
This toy feels cuddly, too, in case your baby wants a little reassurance when they’re done doing the hard work of teething.
- Made of all-natural materials.
- The teether is cute looking and comes in different animal characters like fox, mouse or raccoon.
- It’s soft for cuddling.
- The rattle part is pretty quiet.
- The handle is fairly big which makes it difficult for a younger baby to grasp.
- It doesn’t hold up very well in the wash.
8. Manhattan Toy Beads Wood Teething Toy
These giant wooden beads are connected by elastic, and with all the bright colors featured on the beads, they’re visually appealing to babies and toddlers. But the color doesn’t pose a threat for your child because it’s non-toxic and water-based.
The wood won’t splinter or chip so your baby won’t end up with more gum pain than they started with.
Your baby will also like using this teether as a rattle. When they pull on the beads or twist them around, they’ll make a fun clanking noise.
- These are big enough your baby wouldn’t choke if the elastic breaks.
- Some moms will love that this is made without toxic chemicals.
- The bright colors are attractive for babies.
- It’s pretty heavy for younger babies.
- When babies whack themselves in the face with this toy, it’s going to hurt because of its weight.
9. Nuby IcyBite Keys Teething Toy
These cute keys come in different bright colors and they’re all attached to a ring. There’s a variety of different surfaces your baby will love gnashing on: the softer parts feel great when their gums are tender, but other times, they’ll go for the harder parts.
Your baby will be able to reach their back teeth with this, too, as well as the front and middle teeth. Plus, the ring makes it easy for even younger babies to hold on.
You can stick this in the refrigerator for a while to give your baby an extra cooling effect.
- They’re affordable, so it’s no big deal if you lose one.
- Can be refrigerated.
- The different textures will feel nice on your baby’s gums.
- Some parents have trouble with the keys leaking.
- Because of all the nooks and crannies on this toy, it can be hard to clean thoroughly.
10. WishTime Rattle Teething Toy Set
This fantastic set comes with nine teethers and rattles for your baby to enjoy. They each use multiple bright colors on every teether, which will help attract your baby’s attention.
The ABS plastic they’re made from is nontoxic since it’s BPA-free. The set also comes in a cute baby bottle carrying case, so when your baby gets a little older, they can have fun putting each teether in the case one at a time and dumping everything out again.
The case also makes this set easily portable, so it’s great to take with you on vacation or to a babysitter’s house.
- Some of the toys make noise, which will keep your baby entertained.
- A wide variety of different shapes to choose from.
- You’ll get a lot of toys for the price.
- The edges are a little rough on these.
- Some parents may find the horn toy’s noise way too loud.
The Bottom Line
The 4-pack of teether rings is our top pick as the best teething toy. They’re simple, but we like that about them. They are everything we want in a teether — easy to hold, easy to chew on, non-toxic and they have different textures for your baby.
We also like that they aren’t filled with any liquid or gel because we’ve had the unpleasant experience of those breaking open before while baby was chewing. Even when the package says the liquid won’t hurt your baby, you still wonder what it’s made of. With these, you won’t have to worry about anything leaking out.
When you need to clean them, you can just pop them in the dishwasher. As a parent, you’re going to learn to appreciate items that don’t have all the bells and whistles and prefer straightforward products. That’s precisely what these teething rings are.