Traveling with kids is a daunting prospect. You plan everything with military precision and do your best to pack plenty of patience.
As someone who has spent countless hours traveling with little ones, I’ve learned what to look for in a travel diaper bag — and what to avoid.
I’ve created this list of my top seven favorites to help you choose the best design for your travel needs. I chose comfortable and lightweight bags with many pockets for essentials. I looked for convenient features such as stroller straps, a secure pouch for passports and mommy items, or an external wipes container.
Some of these bags can double as a travel bed or changing area, while others have a minimalistic design. Their one common feature is that they’re perfect for travel — by plane, train, or automobile.
Let’s take a look at the best travel diaper bags around and discuss what you need to think about before choosing one.
- Durable stitching
- Double easy-grab handles
- Water resistant
- Large insulated bottle pocket
- Neutral design
- Two-way zip closures
- Strong zippers
- 14 pockets
- Great for one-handed opening
- High-quality materials
- Multiple pockets
- Compact folding
- Masculine design
- Lifetime warranty
- Large changing pad
- Stands upright on its own
- Stroller straps included
- Subtle design
- Multiple trendy designs
- Lightweight but spacious
- Secure pocket for phone or wallet
The Best Travel Diaper Bags of 2023
Here are seven great travel diaper bags to consider.
1. Ruvalino Travel Backpack
Best for Traveling in Style
Ruvalino has the perfect combination of style and functionality. If you’re looking to carry your baby gear on your back with elegance, this bag makes it easy.
With one large compartment, a diaper organizer, and three insulated bottle pockets, the Ruvalino Travel Backpack gives you plenty of space. The bag even includes a hidden pocket on the back for storing your valuables, such as a phone, keys, or wallet.
Most bags require two hands to operate the largest compartment, but this one’s dual zippers allow for one-hand opening, making your baby supplies easier to access.
The extra-wide opening makes packing and digging into the bag a breeze.
- Lightweight and strong material with durable stitching.
- Double easy-grab handles.
- Padded laptop pocket.
- Water-resistant interior and exterior fabrics.
- Gender-neutral design.
- Stroller straps aren’t included.
- Hand-wash only, so it could be tricky to keep clean.
- Some moms reported weak zippers.
2. Skip Hop Duo Weekender
The Over-Packer’s Travel Diaper Bag
The Weekender is generous in size, which makes it ideal for moms who tend to take too much stuff. (I’m definitely guilty of this!)
The extra-large drawbridge-style main compartment opens wide to allow easy access to your baby’s gear. The packing cubes easily double as mini bags — great for keeping the essentials within reach.
With a variety of zipped and open pockets and a separate pocket for your cell phone, you’ll have a place for all the things you need when traveling with tots.
With such a large volume, carrying the extra weight may become challenging. However, a discreet back sleeve allows you to roll the diaper bag nicely over your carry-on handles, leaving your hands and back free.
- Good-quality material.
- Large insulated bottle pocket with magnetic closure.
- Machine washable changing pad.
- Neutral design — appealing for dad too.
- Two-way zip closures to make opening it with one hand easier.
- More expensive than some other models.
- The shoulder straps could be longer.
3. Ruvalino Convertible Diaper Bag
Best Practical Travel Diaper Bag
Are you looking for a functional travel diaper bag that won’t put a heavy load on your back? Specifically designed for traveling, this bag could be a good choice.
One of the plus points is the stroller strap — it allows you to slot the bag securely over your wheeled carry-on luggage. This means you should be able to move around freely without unwanted weight over your upper body.
I especially love the classy design. It’s one I’d continue using after my baby was finished with it.
Many diaper bags topple over when they aren’t full, but due to their rectangular shape and internal frame, this bag can sit upright on its own.
- The Interior is easy to clean.
- Strong zippers.
- Fourteen pockets throughout the bag.
- Great for one-handed opening.
- Outside rear pocket is the perfect place for passports, phone, or wallet.
- Durable and lightweight material.
- Smaller than it looks — 16 x 7.5 x 11.8 inches.
- Zippers need careful handling.
4. Koalaty 3-in-1 Diaper Travel Bag
Best Multi-Functional Diaper Bag
Multi-functional items save time, money, and space, and this diaper bag fits that niche well. This bag might be a practical option if your little one is less than a year old.
The Koalaty diaper bag has three main functions:
- Travel bassinet: The side panels protect your baby for a safe nap or playtime, making it great for camping weekends.
- Changing area: By folding down one end, you can convert the bassinet into a changing area, allowing you to dress or tend to your baby’s diaper needs on the move.
- Travel diaper bag: The well-thought-out design only takes about 30 seconds to fold back into a regular diaper bag.
- High-quality materials.
- Multiple zippered pockets.
- Padded surface.
- The bassinet will only fit a smaller baby.
- Smaller storage capacity.
5. Ollie Maxx Backpack
Best Daddy Travel Diaper Bag
Are you going on vacation and need a diaper bag for dad? I love that this one was designed to look like a regular hiking bag, with plenty of dad appeal.
The padded straps make it very comfortable to wear, and you can adjust them for a better fit — great for big days out.
One side of the bag features an insulated zipper pocket that is perfect for keeping your baby’s milk warm. The other side has an insulated bottle holder where parents can keep their drinks cold.
- High-quality materials.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Large changing pad.
- It can’t be worn messenger style.
6. Suavezilla Diaper Bag
Best Value Diaper Bag
Travel expenses combined with baby needs can add up. For parents with a limited budget looking for a travel diaper bag with lots of features, we recommend the Suavezilla.
We love this bag’s sophisticated yet simple style. The stroller straps and padded changing mat also carry on this theme.
This budget bag doesn’t scrimp on storage either — there’s plenty of space for your journey’s essentials without it being too bulky.
It has three insulated pockets and a separate compartment for essentials such as laptops. The bag includes a bottle pocket and that all-important pacifier pocket — so you know exactly where to find your paci in a hurry.
You can drop baby wipes into the large pouch on the outside, which fits most travel wipes packages. The wipes compartment is conveniently positioned to free up your hands and keep you from delving inside the bag at every little mess.
- Durable fabric.
- Stands upright on its own.
- Stroller straps included.
- Subtle design.
- It may be best to have a zippered compartment that keeps the padded compartment together.
7. Qwreoia Polka Dot Diaper Backpack
Most Casual Travel Diaper Bag
This bag is designed for moms looking for a smaller yet well-designed diaper bag. Although it has a large capacity, the bag is still light and not at all bulky.
It comes in various designs — to suit mom or dad — and is made with durable, waterproof material, making spills easy to clean.
It is highly convenient to use with its large storage spaces and comes with an easy-to-reach USB charging port for on-the-go parents.
There are three insulated pockets for bottles, which should keep your little one going for quite some time — like on long road trips or flights. It also has reinforced straps, making it comfortable to wear on a daily basis.
- Multiple trendy designs.
- Lightweight but spacious.
- Secure pocket for phone or wallet.
- Might be too small to hold enough essentials for a long trip — 16.5 x 10.6 x 6.5 inches.
How to Choose a Travel Diaper Bag
There are some questions we always ask before committing to purchasing a travel diaper bag. Here are a few points to consider.
Does Your Diaper Bag Count as a Carry-On?
Each airline has a different hand-luggage policy relating to kids. If you’re unsure, it’s best to contact your airline before departure, but here are some general guidelines:
- Most airlines allow one carry-on per passenger; however, some — such as United Airlines — allow one diaper bag in addition to your carry-on (1).
- Regulations change frequently, but restrictions on the amount of liquids allowed on the plane don’t apply to baby drinks (2).
- In general, most ground staff are considerate when you’re traveling with kids and may be more lenient and make exceptions.
The Travel Diaper Bag Checklist
If you’ve always wanted to try the minimalist lifestyle, now’s your chance, as it’s best to pack light when traveling with kids. It’s easy in theory but can be difficult in practice. However, you may find that you need a lot less than you think!
Here are the top ten baby essentials every mom might need during a flight:
- Baby wipes.
- Baby blanket.
- Change of clothes.
- Changing mat.
- Burp cloths.