If you’ve got a baby, you’ve probably got a diaper bag. It’s an absolute necessity to tote around all the extra diapers, wipes, clothes, bottles, binkies, and other goodies babies need on the regular.
But if you’ve ever carried a traditional diaper bag around for an hour or two, you know how it can wreak havoc on your back and shoulders.
The perfect solution?
A backpack diaper bag. The ability to carry around everything you need comfortably is an absolute game-changer; here’s everything you need to know to buy the best backpack diaper bag to fit your lifestyle.
Quick ComparisonOur Top Backpack Diaper Bag Picks of 2019 Read Full Reviews
Why Choose a Diaper Bag Backpack?
There are many different types of diaper bags available, and most of them are designed like a large purse or regular tote bag with extra organizational compartments. However, carrying a bag either over your shoulder or with your hands can be awkward. Using a backpack diaper bag allows you to be hands-free.
Using a diaper bag backpack allows you to spread out the load in an ergonomic way, which can relieve your neck and shoulders from the burden of carrying a purse-style shoulder diaper bag. (source)
You’re already carrying a car seat, pushing a stroller, and toting a child — you need your hands free, and your back needs all the relief it can get. A diaper bag backpack is a perfect solution.
Can’t I Use a Regular Backpack?
While it might be tempting just to use a regular backpack that you already have around the house, the chances are that it doesn’t contain waterproof pockets or insulated compartments.
These are handy when you’re carrying soiled clothes home from a playdate at the park, or need to bring milk or baby food for your on-the-go travels. Plus, as we saw in the list above, you’re going to want individual pockets to keep all of the necessities organized while you’re out and about.
Using a bag that’s designed to carry multiple specific objects helps spread the weight and load appropriately, making it not only more functional but more comfortable. (source)
What Should I Look For?
You’ll need to consider your lifestyle and choose one with features that fit it accordingly. Think about things like:
- Are you away from home for days or hours at a time?
- Do you only leave the house on occasion?
- Do you breastfeed or bottle feed?
- Do you cloth diaper?
- Do you have older children for whom you’ll be toting things as well?
- Do you use a stroller?
These are features that are commonly included in the best diaper bag backpacks:
- Capacity: If you have multiple children or are gone for hours at a time, you may be best served by a larger-sized bag. Conversely, a smaller-sized bag may be adequate if you only have one child or don’t leave the house frequently.
- Weight: Depending on your strength and stature, the weight may be important. Some bags (and all their features) can tip the scales at over 2.5 pounds — and that’s before you even load up your gear. If you’re concerned that the weight may be too much for you, pay attention to the product description and choose a lightweight model.
- Design: Diaper bag backpacks come in a multitude of designs. Some are sleek & modern, some fun & flirty, some are even camouflaged to look like a regular backpack. Choose one that fits your personality but isn’t so “on trend” that it’ll be outdated in a few years. And if daddy will be carrying it on occasion, make sure you check with him about whether he’d prefer a gender neutral color or design.
- Easy to Clean: A water-resistant exterior can be easily wiped down in the event of a spill. Between bottle mishaps, sticky post-snack fingers, and diaper blowouts, your bag is bound to get dirty. Pick one that’s convenient to clean.
- Storage Pockets: Since you’re carrying a million things, you might need a million pockets. Evaluate all the things you’ll be putting in your diaper bag and identify your specific storage needs to keep everything neat and organized — and not a giant, jumbled mess in the bottom of your bag that you have to dig through every time you need something.
- Insulated Compartments: Even if you’re not pumping milk, it’s still nice to look for insulated compartments. The day will come when you’ll be carrying baby food or sippy cups filled with regular milk, and the ability to keep them cool will be incredibly useful.
- Stroller Straps: You don’t want to be carrying your diaper bag all the time, and you don’t want to take up all the storage space in the stroller with your pack. If you choose one with built-in stroller straps, you won’t have to buy them separately, AND you’ll be able to easily access your bag while it hangs off the stroller without having to take it off first.
The Best Diaper Backpacks of 2019
Isn’t it kind of funny how kids weigh so little but all their stuff weighs so much? We can’t do much about everything we have to haul along with us every time we leave the house, but we can get a bag that makes the job that little bit easier. Here are our top 13 picks of 2019.
1. Bag Nation Diaper Backpack
Best Organized Diaper Backpack
A place for everything, and everything in its place. A diaper bag with lots of pockets in multiple sizes will help you stay organized and keep everything from becoming a chaotic mess that drives you crazy. When you need something, you’ll know exactly where to find it.
With 14 multi-sized pockets, there’s a special place for each piece of baby gear you’re bringing along.
The many compartments will allow you to easily keep your baby’s dirty diapers or soiled clothes far away from your bottles and binkies.
It also comes with a changing pad and sundry bag and has an insulated compartment to keep your bottles cool.
Combine these features with a water-resistant exterior and padded shoulder straps, and you’ve got a recipe for a do-it-all bag.
- Gender neutral.
- Multiple pockets will keep everything organized.
- Includes adjustable stroller straps.
- Can be functional for toddlers and older kids..
- A bit expensive than other brands.
2. HapTim Travel Diaper Bag Backpack
Best Diaper Backpack for Travel
You’ve got enough to worry about when you travel — you shouldn’t have to worry about your diaper bag, too. Make sure you choose a one that’s big enough to hold all your things, but small enough to still count as a carry-on on the plane.
With 17 pockets (including one with a diaper wipe dispenser), HapTim Travel Backpack is one of the largest on the market, but still has dimensions small enough to qualify as a carry-on at the airport.
Its padded shoulder straps will keep you comfy while away from home and its high-quality, waterproof exterior means it will hold up on all your adventures while keeping your contents safe.
It’s also got a changing mat for on-the-go diaper changes and an insulated pocket to keep your bottles fresh.
- Super stylish.
- Has 17 pockets.
- Made of strong, garment-quality nylon.
- There is only one color/design option.
- Insulated bottle compartment may be difficult to access.
3. HaloVa Multi-Function Diaper Backpack
Best Convertible Diaper Backpack
Different situations call for different diaper bags. A convertible diaper backpack will keep you ready for all situations. If you want to carry it on your back, go right ahead. If you’d rather carry it like a traditional diaper bag, this one’s still got your back.
Do you want a stylish designer handbag or a backpack?
With the HaloVa Backpack, you get both. You also get fashion and functionality.
A zippered opening allows you to access the bottom of the main compartment without having to dig through all the contents from the top.
It’s made of waterproof material so you can simply wipe it clean, and there are insulated compartments for your bottles, and waterproof pockets for wet or soiled clothes.
- Can be wiped clean.
- It’s stylish.
- Multiple designer color options.
- The main compartment can be accessed from the side.
- It’s not gender neutral.
- No stroller straps.
- It doesn’t come with a changing pad.
4. ECOSUSI Fully-Opened Diaper Backpack
Best Backpack Diaper Bag for Twins
Double the trouble, double the work, and double the stuff. If you’re toting around two kids, you need twice as much room. Choose a back pack with extra storage and compartments to make sure you’ve got everything you need for both babies.
Both hands are already full. You don’t have another one available to dig through your bag for whatever you need.
The ECOSUSI backpack zips fully open so you can easily access your supplies, and there are tandem insulated bottle compartments which let you bring one along for each baby.
A hidden pocket in the back lets you carry your phone and wallet with you, eliminating the need for a purse. And with the stylish color selections, you won’t even miss having another accessory to carry around.
- It comes in a cute design.
- The main compartment zip opens completely.
- Includes a secure pocket for your phone and wallet.
- It’s not gender-neutral.
- There aren’t many pockets.
5. Cateep Smart Organizer Waterproof Diaper Backpack
Best Diaper Backpack for Cloth Diapers
If you’re using cloth diapers, you’ll be carrying soiled ones home on a regular basis. It’s a good idea to choose a tote that includes a wet bag or waterproof pockets — along with a good amount of space for the extra bulk that cloth diapers tend to have.
Cloth-diapering mama, this is the backpack for you.
With two antimicrobial waterproof pockets, you can carry your dirty diapers home without worry that you’ll contaminate the other clean items in your bag.
Coupled with the large internal compartment that has plenty of space for your clean diapers and changing pad, this backpack will make on-the-fly diaper changes a snap.
- Has 16 pockets.
- Magnetic buckles give you quick access.
- 4 insulated pouches for bottles.
- Includes a changing pad and stroller straps.
- Main compartment offers limited organization.
- Weighs nearly two pounds.
6. Sleeping Lamb Waterproof Diaper Backpack
Best All Rounder
If you have more than one child, or can picture yourself using your diaper backpack for years after everyone's out of diapers, then hunt around for something that's as versatile as possible. A good all-around backpack will be durable, functional, and fit your whole family's lifestyle.
This is a camouflaged, gender-neutral diaper bag at its finest. In basic colors without any overt distinguishing characteristics, this is one bag that your partner should have no trouble carrying.
It’s even got a compartment for his laptop if he needs to bring it along for the day.
With two waterproof pockets for soiled diapers or clothes plus 14 other pockets to stash all your gear, this backpack will make both mom and dad very happy on a range of outings.
- Water resistant.
- Comes in basic, gender-neutral colors.
- 16 pockets for organization.
- Includes a changing pad and stroller strap.
- On the heavy side (over 2 pounds).
- Limited color options available.
7. JuJuBe Be Right Back Backpack
Best for Messes
Moms know life with a little one can be very messy. Stay organized and clean with this special backpack from Ju-Ju-Be. It looks pretty and has a lot of space, but is also easy to wipe down.
Each one is made of 100 percent polyester, a durable material that is machine washable. Whether it’s spilled milk or splashed mud, you can throw it in the wash without worrying.
We also like that the fabric has been treated with Agion and Teflon. The Agion treatment is used on the interior and helps prevent bacteria, mold, and mildew. On the outside, the Teflon treatment resists stains.
Also included is padded shoulder straps, a memory foam changing pad, and a lifetime warranty.
If you’re an on-the-go mom who doesn’t want to worry about being careful with your diaper bag, this backpack will allow you to carry the essentials and put it through the ringer without worrying.
- Fabric was designed to protect against germs and be easy-to-clean.
- Includes padded shoulders traps and a memory foam changing pad.
- The main compartment only has two pockets, which may not be enough for moms wanting to carry a lot.
8. KiddyCare Diaper Bag Backpack
Best for Bottles
For moms who breastfeed or must use bottles on-the-go, properly storing and transporting milk and formula is an important aspect of everyday life. With this backpack from KiddyCare, you can carry a number of bottles while being assured they’ll stay at a safe temperature.
Organize your bottles and bottle accessories in any of the 15 compartments. Better yet, keep cooled bottles fresh longer in one of the three insulated pockets. If you’re going on a trip or are pumping at work, this backpack allows you to keep your milk at a safe temperature so your baby can enjoy it later.
It features a stylish pattern, spacious storage, and padded straps. A button near the top also allows you to lock both the upper handles to hang the bag conveniently on a stroller. Overall, it has a comfortable and versatile design any mom will love for everyday use.
- Insulated pockets keep bottles fresher longer.
- Fifteen compartments provide ample storage space.
- Versatile top button allows you to attach the bag to a stroller.
- Not all types of bottles fit easily, especially if they are different from the standard bottle shape.
9. Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack
Best for Strollers
Do you love to go on strolls? Or perhaps you live in a bustling area where walking with your little one is the fastest mode of transportation? Whatever the reason, having a bag that works with your stroller and not against it is vital for making those walks more enjoyable.
Luckily, this Skip Hop diaper backpack easily attaches to any stroller with the click of a few buckles. One reason we really like it is because of the cushioned straps. Many straps on other brands are flimsy, making them uncomfortable to wear, or the extra stroller straps become complicated.
With a single system, you get comfort and convenience. Wear the backpack for as long as you’d like, but then attach it easily to your stroller with the very same straps. They won’t fray or become weak from hanging.
It also has an easy-grab top handle and multiple interior and exterior pockets for storing all of your baby’s essential items.
- Cushioned straps attach to any stroller and feel great when worn.
- Includes easy-grab top handle and multiple storage spaces.
- The mommy pouch in the front is smaller and won’t hold a lot.
10. Obersee Bern Diaper Backpack & Cooler
Best with a Cooler
If you’re out and about for a good chunk of the day with bottles and snacks for your little one, a cooler is a must. Make it easier on yourself by choosing a backpack that comes made with a cooler — perfect for the family on the go.
The detachable cooler on this bag makes it possible for you to tote it along when you need it, and leave it behind when you don’t.
It’s also got a loop to hold your sunglasses, a headphone port, and pocket for a music device.
It’s so functional you may just choose to continue using it as your regular backpack well after your child has left the diapering years.
And with high-quality, durable construction and polyester exterior, this will be around for as long as you need it.
- Includes a detachable cooler.
- Gender neutral.
- There is space for a laptop.
- Includes a changing pad.
- Weighs in at 2.2 lbs.
- Only comes in black.
- Stroller straps must be purchased separately.
11. Parker Baby Diaper Backpack
Being a mother doesn’t mean you have to lose your love of fashion. Style and functionality combine in this luxurious backpack bag from Parker Baby. Rich in quality, durable materials and with more than ten different storage compartments, this diaper backpack will not only delight parents, but give them all the essentials they need.
On the outside, it’s made of waterproof canvas with vegan leather accents. The inside is made of water-resistant polyester to protect from spills and messes. With a unisex color scheme, dads can enjoy this backpack too.
Enjoy the outward sense of style, but utilize the inner storage space. With over ten storage compartments, you can fit anything you need for you or your baby, including bottles, diapers, laptops, wallets, and more. Included with the bag are strong stroller straps and a waterproof changing pad.
If you’re on the look for a great baby shower gift for a new mother, we think this backpack from Parker Baby will win the day.
- High-quality material compliment the modern, fashionable design.
- Over ten storage spaces to fit all your essentials.
- Stroller straps and changing pad included.
- Moms have noted the construction of the bag can break down when heavily used.
12. DadGear Backpack Diaper Bag
Best Backpack Diaper Bag for Dads
It’s fun to pick a diaper bag that doubles as a cute accessory, but then dad might not be so keen on carrying it. To get a bag that he’ll happily carry, choose one with a gender-neutral color and design as well as straps that have plenty of room to adjust so he can fit it properly to his larger torso.
Dads who play an active role in their kid’s lives may feel left out when all that’s available is baby gear that’s pink, frilly or covered in polka dots. This DadGear backpack is a great alternative and will please parents who want something practical above all else.
It definitely ticks those boxes. It comes in several color options from minimalist white to retro to camo print, and most of the inner compartments are made of mesh so you can see things at a glance.
A nylon changing pad is included, and there are two large bottle compartments on the side and a top pouch for diapers.
- The main zipper compartment unzips completely to lay flat like a suitcase for easy access.
- Has a wipes dispenser at the bottom.
- Narrow profile.
- Doesn’t look like a diaper bag.
- Some have found the fabric quite thin.
- Lacks any insulated pockets.
13. HotStyle Cute Mini Backpack Diaper Bag
Best Small Diaper Backpack
You don’t always need to pack like you’re going on a three-week vacation. When you want to travel light, choose a brand that will fit the essentials without all the extra unnecessary room.
The HotStyle Mini has petite dimensions and weighs just over three-quarters of a pound, but the well-designed interior still has plenty of room for diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes.
Bottle holders on the side will keep your babe well fed while you’re out and about. And since it comes in every color of the rainbow, you’ll have no problem finding one that suits your style.
- Super lightweight.
- Comes in an array of colors.
- Has 2 bottle holders.
- There is no insulation.
- Doesn’t come with a changing pad.
- There aren’t many pockets.
- Contents may not stay organized in the large main compartment.
What Should I Carry in My Diaper Backpack?
Everyone knows that babies need regular diaper changes, but you might still wonder why a diaper bag is a necessity. Can’t you just throw an extra diaper in your purse and head out for the day?
Unfortunately, no. You’ll probably find yourself needing a whole lot more space than your little purse can hold — and you’ll find yourself wishing for organizers inside to keep them all firmly in place instead of jumbled in the bottom of your bag.
Many mothers carry along the following items in their diaper bag:
- Diapers (and covers, if you’re cloth diapering).
- Two or more extra outfits in case of leaks.
- Swaddle or comfort blanket.
- Baby toys.
- Diaper cream.
- Teething Gel.
- Teething toys.
- A small first aid kit.
- A changing pad.
- Wet bag (for soiled clothes).
- Two or more bottles.
- Water bottle.
- Snack cup.
- Burp Cloths.
- Snacks for older children.
- Sun hat for your baby.
- Nursing cover.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Diaper disposal bags.
- A small, separate pouch for your things: phone, keys, wallet, and make up.
It’s clear that if you’re going to keep your sanity, getting a bag that’s designed for carrying and organizing baby gear is a good idea. If you’re out and about and find yourself wishing you had packed something specific, make a note and add that thing to your backpack the moment you get home, so you don’t forget to bring it next time. Get duplicates of small, cheap items like wipes and burp cloths so a few can permanently live in your diaper bag.
The Bottom Line
Hands-down, we think the Bag Nation Backpack is the best diaper backpack currently on the market. With adjustable stroller straps to save your back, 14 pockets to keep things organized, an insulated pocket that can hold up to three bottles, and water-resistant fabric that can easily wipe clean, this backpack is the low-maintenance, functional lifesaver that every mother needs. Plus, it comes with a bonus changing pad and sundry bag — and it’s gender neutral so dad won’t hesitate to carry it.
Which one is your favorite? Share this buyer’s guide with a mom-to-be and help her jump on the diaper bag backpack bandwagon.