Travel systems are a great investment since most offer a stroller and car seat combo that makes life a lot easier for moms and dads on the go. But when we were shopping for a quality travel system, we found ourselves quickly overwhelmed by the vast range of differences between systems — and prices.
I even saw some that cost more than my first car!
That’s we’ve taken the time to research, compare, and round up the best travel systems to help you find the right one for your family and your budget. We’ve rated these based on their ease of use, safety features, accessories, and affordability.
- Easy-to-install system
- Great customer service
- 360-degree wheel agility
- One-hand fold
- Multi-recline seat
- Big storage space
- Multiple configurations
- UPF 50+ canopy
- Easy to maneuver
- Quality, durable materials
- Large canopy size
- Light and sleek
- High safety and impact protection
- 6-in-1 travel system
- Versatile and safe
- Certified for air travel
- One-touch brake
- All-terrain bicycle tires
- Adjustable seat back and canopy
- Abundant storage space
- Easy and fast to assemble
- Excellent safety features
- Height adjustable stroller handle
- Affordable, light, and compact
- Plenty of storage space
- Easy-to-install car seat
- Complies with Federal safety standards
- Multi-position recline seat
- Slim, compact folding stroller
The Best Travel Systems of 2022
Here are some of the best travel systems available on the market.
1. Graco Modes Travel System
Best Graco Travel System
The brand is a globally renowned name in travel systems. The new Modes models are simply wonderful to use, especially with the car seat’s front-adjust harness.
The reclining, reversible stroller seat from Graco’s Modes is a favorite. I love how easy everything is, and I love the many different seat options.
The stroller seat also converts into a comfortable bassinet for your baby. This system comes with the Graco Snug Ride Snug Lock 35 infant car seat.
While it isn’t the best in terms of portability, this is still one of the more durable and top quality travel systems from Graco.
- A long-lasting product.
- Easy to use.
- The car seat and car seat base are easy to install.
- The stroller turns into a bassinet; it’s versatile enough to recline completely.
- Graco’s customer service is responsive, should you have any issues.
- Suitable from newborn to toddler.
- The stroller is bulky, and might not fit into all car trunks.
2. Peg Perego Booklet Travel System
Best Luxury Travel System
The Peg Perego Booklet is a particularly stellar choice. It’s highly adaptable, from traveling in the car to giving your little one some fresh air in the park. It folds up easily in a unique “book-like” folding mechanism.
With a sturdy suspension on the back wheels, this is a great option for urban dwellers, and also has an attractive design. It’s easy to assemble and you won’t have any trouble maneuvering it.
The storage basket under the stroller is a lot more spacious than most. Best of all, this is one you can trust — it’s manufactured in line with the highest safety standards.
- Wheels allow for 360-degree agility which makes pushing easy.
- One-hand fold.
- Stylish and sophisticated design.
- Multi-recline seat keeps your baby comfortable.
- No need for adaptors to replace the car seat with the stroller seat.
- UPF 50+ visor will keep your baby protected.
- Some users complain it shakes a bit on smooth surfaces.
- The car seat is quite large and might be challenging to fit in small cars.
3. UPPAbaby Infant Baby Stroller & Car Seat Bundle
Best 3-in-1 Travel System
While you may spend a bit more on the UPPAbaby infant bundle, it lasts well into your child’s toddler years. It can also be adapted to accommodate up to three kids. Chic, high-quality, and comfortable, this is a wonderful pick if you’re willing to splurge.
The UPPAbaby infant bundle is a breeze for both parents and children, particularly given its easy installation and comfort. Users praise both the car seat and stroller modes, especially with their great back and neck support, ensuring your little one stays asleep no matter what you’re up to.
My husband jokingly calls this the “Ferrari” of baby strollers and car seats. While we haven’t taken the plunge yet, this is certainly one I’m keeping an eye out for.
- UPF 50+ canopy.
- Big storage space.
- Comfy seat with soft padding.
- Large wheels for a comfy ride.
- Handles both rough and even terrain.
- Durable product and reliable company.
- Comes at a higher price point.
4. Baby Trend Sit n’ Stand Travel System
Best Travel System for Twins
If you have twins or two babies close in age, the Baby Trend Travel System won’t disappoint. The twin stroller frame makes traveling with two young children stylish and practical.
Known to be sturdy, this model from Baby Trend is extremely comfortable and safe when you’re out and about with your little ones. It’s well-built, affordable, and great value for money. Another plus is that the stroller seats will fit both your children until they’re about 35 pounds.
Despite its large size, it’s easy to assemble into both car seat and stroller modes. On the downside, clicking either of the car seats in and out of the stroller mode can be a bit tricky.
- Stylish look, even when you’re traveling with two young children.
- Easy to maneuver, despite the large size.
- Made of quality, durable materials.
- Canopy size is quite large, suitable for different travel conditions.
- Locking and unlocking the car seat can be frustrating.
- The stroller mode has a large frame, which may not fit into the trunk of small cars.
5. Safety 1st Riva 6-in-1 Flex Modular Travel System
Best Lightweight Travel System
For the nomadic family who is always on the go, the Safety 1st Riva travel system is ideal. This one has been on my wishlist for a while now.
It’s a more than worthwhile investment if you’re seeking something light to move around with. Not only is the stroller less than 18 pounds and easy to fold, but it also allows for various forward-facing and parent-facing positions.
Best of all, the stroller is the first of its kind in the USA to be made of recycled materials, so it’s an absolute must for environmentally conscious parents. It’s not all that clear exactly what percentage of the product is recycled, though.
The canopy is quite large, which will keep your baby protected from the sun, and the build is high impact enough to keep your little one safe at all times. The wheels are a bit on the weaker side, and not great on uneven surfaces.
This is definitely one of the more versatile travel systems out there, though, and it’s great that it comes with so many seating modes. But the downsides mean that while it’s a great buy, it’s not the absolute best if you’ll be on rough terrain.
- Six different forward and parent-facing positions.
- Fabrics are machine washable.
- High safety and impact protection keep your baby safe.
- Adjustable base ensures you get the right fit for your car.
- Sleek enough to manoeuver through tight spaces.
- Stroller conveniently stands on its own when folded.
- Some say the car seat isn’t as sturdy as that of comparable travel systems.
- Buckle straps are a little short, which can be uncomfortable.
- Wheels don’t absorb shock.
6. Doona Infant Car Seat & Stroller
Best Compact Travel System
For the modern mom, the Doona Infant Car Seat and Stroller is more perfect than you can imagine. Exploring your town and the world at large with your little is a simple affair with this convenient choice.
The Doona infant car seat and stroller is a popular and innovative choice. Maybe you’re jet setting a few times a year or running errands regularly. Or perhaps you’re simply managing a hectic lifestyle, where you often need to head off to different venues in a short time frame.
Primarily used as a car seat, it converts into a stroller, in a few easy steps. No matter how you get around or what the weather is like, alternating between modes takes mere seconds.
Easy to carry, lightweight, and comfortable for your baby, the Donna is well worth the investment. It can accommodate babies from 4 pounds in weight and up to 32 inches long.
- Suitable for preemies.
- Versatile and safe.
- Ideal for urban dwellers, quickly transforming between stroller and car seat mode.
- Certified for air travel.
- Strong safety features, including a one-touch brake.
- Stylish, simple look.
- No storage space on the stroller.
- Larger babies may quickly outgrow it.
7. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System
Best Jogger Travel System
At face value, this might seem a tad unrealistic: Get into shape and do cardio while the baby also gets some fresh air. If that seems like an unattainable goal, I’m here to tell you that it’s absolutely possible with the Baby Trend Expedition travel system!
Whether you’re running errands or heading for a jog, this model makes the trip pleasant for both you and your baby.
I think it’s wonderful that it’s built for almost any activity, whether your little one is in the car or coming with you for a long hike.
The tires are similar to bicycle tires, so they’re suitable for almost any terrain. The car seat is built to keep your baby safe, and there are stories of babies coming out of serious car accidents unharmed because of this product’s great build.
It’s easy to assemble this when you first get it — it shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes. Don’t be put off by how large the stroller seems: most jogging strollers are a bit larger than normal ones.
The one other thing to watch out for is that the car seat padding could be a little more comfortable — the benefits here are mostly in the stroller mode.
- All-terrain bicycle tires for easy jogging and strolling.
- Car seat is suitable until your child is about 30 pounds.
- Adjustable seat back and canopy offers optimal comfort and protection.
- Abundant storage space, including two cup holders.
- Folds compactly for easy storage and transport.
- Stroller is a bit on the large side.
- Some users complain that the tires and wheels aren’t of the best quality.
8. Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System
Best Chicco Travel System
The foam-filled wheels on this versatile and stylish stroller are ideal for getting around the city, and ensure a safe and smooth ride for your child. This is also a compact fold, making it a great choice for parents with a small car or home.
It has auto-swivel wheels and an easy-to-reach, one-hand fold, and it’s compact and hassle-free — great for day-to-day use. It’s also self-standing when folded.
The stroller has a convenient storage basket, complete with a cup holder.
Despite its lightweight, the Chicco car seat keeps your baby safe. Some users claim this travel system is of such high quality and durability that it helped their little one avoid injuries in serious car accidents, and kept the child safe and comfortable during long trips.
On the downside, the other moms pointed out that the canopy doesn’t cover much especially on the side.
- Smooth to maneuver, even in tight spaces.
- Easy and fast to assemble.
- Excellent safety features.
- Stroller handle is height adjustable.
- The 5-point stroller harness can be awkward to fasten.
- The side of canopy covers only a portion.
9. Graco NimbleLite Travel System
Best Affordable Travel System
The Graco NimbleLite is one of the most budget-friendly travel systems on the market. What’s more, it’s quick and easy to fold, and compact to store. If you can’t splash out, but still want to opt for a good, sturdy pick, this one might be for you.
It’s described by many users as a smooth experience, given how simple and lightweight the stroller is. Commuting, traveling, and going out and about with your baby seems a lot less daunting with this great choice.
Storage on the stroller is abundant, with a parent tray at the top, a cup holder, plus an underseat basket. I have friends who use this system and most of them love it. However, some complain that the straps on the car seat come loose quickly and are difficult to adjust.
Despite this, I still think this is one of the best value travel systems out there, particularly since it’s offered by a trusted brand.
- Affordable system.
- Light and compact.
- Stroller has plenty of storage space, including an underseat basket.
- Made of quality, durable materials.
- Stroller assembly is not straightforward.
- Not easy to connect latch system.
10. Evenflo Vive Travel System with Embrace
Best Infant Travel System
The rear-facing Embrace car seat complies with US Federal safety standards, and suitable from birth upwards, with a 30-inch height limit and 35-pound maximum weight.
The compact stroller is convenient to assemble, fold and unfold, and can be used from newborn until your toddler is older, with a weight and height limit of 50 pounds, 38 inches.
With multiple reclining positions, a 3 to 5 point harness, and a relatively slim fold, this comes with some of the same cool features of most travel systems, at an affordable price. For storage, the stroller has a parent tray with an integrated cup holder, two pockets, and a basket under the seat.
The manufacturer describes the transition from the car seat to stroller modes as seamless. Since it comes with a 90-day guarantee, you can rest assured that little is likely to go wrong.
With detailed instructions for a user-friendly assembly process, Evenflo is a great choice. Most say that, once they get used to assembling the stroller, it becomes quite easy. It might not be the best quality stroller out there, but it’s certainly good value.
- Car seat is approved to twice the federal crash test standards.
- Stroller seat has a multi-position recline.
- Slim, compact folding stroller, compatible with smaller car models.
- Car seat is rear-facing on the stroller for young babies.
- Stroller quality is not as good as some other models.
- Not suitable for rugged terrain; it’s best suited for regular urban use.
What Is a Travel System?
Some of the most necesary purchases for new parents are a bassinet, a car seat, and a stroller. A travel system allows you to buy all three in one go, which saves you time and money compared to selecting separate products.
While travel systems might seem expensive, they can save you a lot more than if you had bought everything separately. Also, you’ll know that all three are compatible products from the same brand.
So when your baby falls asleep in the car seat, there’s no need to wake them when you arrive at your destination. You can click the car seat into the stroller, and you’re ready to go!
Required adaptors come as part of the pre-packaged bundle, but you can also make your own travel system if you already have a car seat or stroller.
Some products from different brands are compatible with each other. Alternatively, you can buy adaptors to make them fit. So there’s no need to worry about buying a new system from scratch if you don’t need to.
We strongly feel that owning a travel system is essential for every new family. But before you settle on one, there are some important factors to consider.
- Your child’s age: Some car seats are best for newborns up to 6 months, while others are better for older babies and toddlers.
- Terrain: Will you be using your system on concrete sidewalks, in shopping centers with narrow aisles, at the beach, or on rough country terrain?
- Purpose: Some systems are compatible with flights for travel. Others are designed for comfortable road trips in your vehicle. Still others are best for outdoor use or jogging.
Wherever life is taking you, picking a suitable travel system ensures your baby can experience it all, with more convenience to you.
Different Types of Travel Systems
There aren’t exactly clear-cut categories of travel systems, but the best ones can usually fit into one of the following:
For athletic parents who don’t want to compromise staying in shape, jogging strollers are great solution. They keep your baby safe and make scheduling that routine run easy, and your child gets to enjoy some fresh air while you’re at it.
Compact Travel Systems
Great for travel and storage, these travel systems are not being particularly heavy, and they make a great fit for parents who take trips often or who own a small car.
Budget Travel Systems
Many brands offer well-designed travel systems at a fraction of the cost. If you don’t have a lot of cash to spare, check out the budget option on our list for a quality system we love. Not all budget options are created equal.
Premium Travel Systems
Premium options have it all: a sleek stylish look, optimum comfort for your baby, and all your needs in one pack. The only downside is the price tag!
How to Choose a Travel System
Here are a few key features we look for when comparing travel systems:
Benefits of Travel Systems
There are many advantages to purchasing a travel system, including:
- You’ll get at least a compatible car seat and stroller, so you know both are well-suited. Usually, there’ll be a stay-in-car base that makes it easy to place the car seat in the car, safely and in just a few seconds.
- Many travel systems have cool extra features, such as cup holders, storage space, reclining seats, and even one-hand folding.
- The travel system often grows with your child. You can use the carrycot in place of a stroller seat when the baby is younger than six months, while the car seat and the stroller seat often last until they’re much older, depending on the brand and model.
- You may be able to alternate the car seat with one from a different brand than the rest of the stroller system, if your baby outgrows it. Popular models are often compatible, but you’ll need to check with the manufacturer before purchase.
Although there are plenty of brands offering travel systems, most come with these basic benefits. Depending on your priorities, be it budget or user-friendliness, there’s a great choice out there for you.
Stroller Wheels and Car Seat Safety
Travel system manufacturers usually mention how the stroller wheels and car seat help protect your baby.
Make sure to check, as different brands offer different safety levels. Plus, the build could affect whether your baby feels road bumps or uneven terrain. The best travel system is the one that provides optimum convenience and disrupts your baby’s rest as little as possible.
Some travel systems have wheels with a 360-degree rotation feature, allowing optimum flexibility no matter where you’re going. It makes a big difference when pushing!
Can I Find a Suitable Stroller if I Already Have a Car Seat, and Vice Versa?
Possibly, but you’ll need to check the details provided by the manufacturer. Some strollers are compatible with car seats from other brands, depending on the adaptors available.
In the case of many major brands, including Chicco, Graco, and Nuna, there isn’t much flexibility to use their products with those of competing brands. However, Britax strollers, for example, work pretty well with car seats from other brands.
Are Travel Systems Heavy?
Often times they are, and that’s particularly inconvenient if you live in a city and need to move around a lot, sometimes with a folded stroller.
Fortunately, the variety of compact strollers out there means you can get the best of both worlds. There’s a massive range of options and you’ll find some so surprisingly light and compact, you’ll wonder how you ever managed without them.
What Are Some of the Disadvantages of Travel Systems?
Some travel systems are quite heavy and bulky. Also, cheaper options usually compromise key features, and some types might not steer as well as others, or last as long.
Especially if you’re choosing a pricier option, it’s best to keep an eye out for the durability factor. There’s little sense in spending a lot on a travel system if it won’t last long. It’s not just a matter of choosing a decent quality one, since some are only best for newborns and will barely last beyond the first six months.
Since not all travel systems are created equal, our go-to guide gives you everything you need to know to choose one.
How Should I Maintain My Stroller and Car Seat?
Many travel systems come with easily removable fabrics, simplifying the process of washing them. Maintenance will depend on the manufacturer, so make sure to check their instructions.
Will My Baby Wake up When Being Moved From One Part to Another?
Probably not. Unless your baby is a light sleeper, travel systems are designed not to interrupt their rest.
How Do They Work?
Travel systems allow you to use one or more adaptors to alternate between using your car seat and stroller without having to move the baby.
If you already have a car seat that you’d like to continue using day-to-day, but are looking for a new stroller to use as part of a travel system, try to find a compatible brand.