Leggings are arguably one of the best articles of clothing around, offering the comfort and ease of sweatpants while still being work-appropriate if paired with the proper top and accessories.
This versatility also makes leggings an amazing maternity wardrobe staple — they’re stretchy, soft, and super comfy.
We’ve rounded up the best maternity leggings that will keep you both comfortable and stylish during pregnancy.
- Thick yet soft and breathable
- Wide waistband
- Plus size available
- Pull on closure
- Motherhood's exclusive secret fit belly
- Soft and cozy
- Comfortable and fashionable
- Keeps you cool all day
- Built-in belly support panel
- Supports belly without excess pressure
- Non see-through fabric
- Machine Washable
- 5-pocket denim
- 360° stretch
- Figure flattering
- Soft moisture-wicking material
- Crossover panel
- Great posture & back support
- Moisture wicking
- Made in U.S.
- Pull on closure
- Super soft and cozy
- Full length seamless legging
- Great posture & back support
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Comfortable and compressing
- Contoured panel
- Four-way stretch fabric
- Versatile comfort
How to Choose the Best Maternity Leggings
- Fabric: Nearly all leggings will be synthetic or partly synthetic as they need to be able to stretch. Cotton can be super comfy, but it can become see-through if stretched too far. Nylon-lycra will provide full coverage, but it may have more of a sheen. Choose a material that will provide both the coverage and the aesthetic you’re looking for.
- Thickness: Leggings come in all different opacities. Extra thickness not only provides coverage, but warmth. You can even get them lined in fleece. If you tend to run hot (as many women do during pregnancy) you’ll want to skip thick tights.
- Length: Leggings come in full-length or capri-length. If you’re self-conscious about your varicose veins, you may be more comfortable choosing something full-length.
- Washing Instructions: Check the care instructions. Many brands will tell you to hand-wash or hang-dry your leggings. Some must even be dry-cleaned. Make sure you choose leggings with care instructions that you’re willing to follow.
- Belly Panel: Some have a belly panel just like regular maternity pants. Others are designed to be worn below the belly. Still, others have a crossover panel that you can either roll down or roll up, depending on your preference. Choose the style you most prefer.
The Best Maternity Leggings of 2021
Hare are our favorite maternity leggings on the market.
1. Hue Women's Cotton Ultra Maternity Leggings
The design of this leggings prevents pressure on any specific part of the belly with its wide waistband, superb fit and non see-through fabric. These leggings also act as gentle shapewear, giving you a flattering figure while still keeping the comfort of leggings.
2. Motherhood French Terry Maternity Leggings
The thick material and pocket details make these look like real pants — but they’re actually comfy leggings. Nobody in the office will mind if you show up to work in this professional-looking pair.
3. Preggers Footless Compression Maternity Leggings
If you’re at work all day, it can be hard to find time to put your feet up to try and prevent swelling, varicose veins, and muscle fatigue. Compression stockings help improve circulation in the legs during pregnancy and can help prevent these conditions — but with these leggings you won’t need compression stockings, because they function as both.
4. Foucome Capri Maternity Leggings
These leggings have a 3D belly panel for a good fit instead of the simple stretchy fabric that some leggings have. The panel culminates in a v-shaped back for optimal support without extra fabric along with reduced lower back pressure.
5. Ingrid & Isabel Ponte Skinny Pants
These are so thick and deceptive that they’re even marketed as “pants.” But make no mistake, they’re leggings. They’ve got a pocket detail on the back and are flattering and form-fitting, but their viscose/nylon/spandex construction will keep you super warm and comfy.
6. Ingrid & Isabel Active Mesh Capri Maternity Leggings
These workout pants have a belly panel to hold them up and offer you support, but a v-cut in the back to reduce the amount of fabric on your torso and help keep you from overheating while you exercise. The synthetic fabric ensures they won’t be see-through, and the stylish design will keep you looking both fab AND fit.
7. Mothers Essentials Maternity Stretch Leggings
These moisture-wicking leggings also offer good back and posture support, which is super important when you’re carrying extra weight in the front. They even come in both black and brown, so if you buy one of each you’ll have something to go with every top in your closet.
8. Motherhood Fleece Maternity Leggings
Seamless, fleece-lined, and able to be worn either mid-belly or under the belly, these versatile leggings will keep you warm both during and after pregnancy. Plus, they’re thick enough to avoid being see-through, so you can make sure your tush will be both warm AND covered.
9. Navy Pregnant Maternity Leggings
Super comfy, the synthetic construction of these leggings prevents them from being see-through. They will grow with you throughout your pregnancy, and can even be used after pregnancy while you’re still waiting to get back into your regular clothes.
10. Cloya Active Maternity Capri Leggings
The fabric on these pants stretches in four different directions, keeping it from pulling or fitting uncomfortably as it expands over your growing body. The stitching of the seam was designed to minimize chafe, and the nylon/spandex construction make these a great choice to wear to your fitness class.
11. Motherhood Maternity Crop Leggings
The cotton construction on these pants makes them breathable, and the secret-fit crossover panel will expand through several phases of pregnancy. The capri length will help keep you cool, and the cute silhouette will keep you in great summer style.
12. Three Seasons Maternity Capri Leggings
These cotton leggings will keep you cool along with the capri-length design. The waistband is also versatile, so you can either roll it up or roll it down depending on your preference. Because of this, you’ll also be able to wear it well into the postpartum period, making this an economical choice for the woman who wants to get as much mileage out of her maternity clothes as possible.
13. Motherhood Maternity Plus Size Maternity Leggings
The jersey knit of these leggings make them super soft and comfortable, and the secret-fit belly panel was designed to grow with you throughout your whole pregnancy. And since they were designed for plus-sized pregnant women, they’ll expand in just the right ways and keep you comfy even after your delivery.
14. Beyond Yoga Maternity Capri Leggings
The polyester construction helps keep these opaque, while the full-belly panel offers you posture support and prevents your pants from sliding down during your workout. The super-stretch design will fit you throughout your pregnancy, and will even be comfy to wear home from the hospital.
15. Loving Moments Maternity Leggings
These leggings give you the best of both worlds combining the comfort of spandex with the strength of nylon. The fabric doesn’t bunch and sag, and the roll-proof waistband should stay right where you put it on your belly.
The Bottom Line
We think we can all agree that pregnant women deserve comfort, and when we can combine comfort AND style, it’s a win for expectant mothers everywhere. Leggings are the optimal wardrobe item in any season — whether you’re expecting or not. Which do you think are the best pregnancy leggings? What’s your favorite thing to wear with your leggings? Let us know.