Many breastfeeding moms worry about their milk supply, and far too many stop nursing sooner than they’d like because they don’t seem to be producing enough milk.
Lactation supplements (also known as galactagogues) may help increase your breast milk supply or improve your milk flow. We’ve spoken with doctors, midwives, lactation consultants, and breastfeeding moms to find out how they work and which are the most efficient.
While lactation supplements won’t make your supply turn on like a faucet, they may be just the boost you need. Read on to learn more, and check out our recommendations for the best lactation supplements to increase your milk supply and set your mind at ease.
- Makes breast milk taste sweeter
- Boosts nutritional quality of milk
- Vegetarian all organic capsules
- Gentle on stomach
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- Contains some probiotics
- Recommended by lactation counselors
- Works fast
- Great for lactose-sensitive moms
- Concentrated formula
- All natural and affordable
- Recommended by lactation consultants
- Quick absorbing
- Uses only quality-tested ingredients
- Certified organic
- No caffeine
- Keeps lymphatic system moving
- Works quickly
- Enhances milk production the natural way
- Pure and potent
- No GMOs and gluten free
- Supports healthy blood sugar levels
- Gluten free
- Top quality GMP certified
- Product verified non-GMO by SGS
- Maintains digestive & respiratory health
- NO artificial flavors
- Bake your own lactation snacks
- No bitter aftertaste
- Mild, nutty flavor
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we understand the importance of finding the best lactation supplements to support your breastfeeding journey. Our team of professionals has conducted thorough research, analysis, and hands-on testing to evaluate and compare various lactation supplements based on factors such as ingredients, effectiveness, safety, and user experience. We provide first-hand evidence and quantitative measurements to help you identify key decision-making factors and make informed choices. Our assessment takes into account the product’s design, performance, and what sets it apart from competitors. Trust our expertise and comprehensive review process to guide you in selecting the ideal lactation supplement for your needs.
The Best Lactation Supplements of 2024
Here are the top lactation supplements currently available.
Pink Stork Lactation Support
All-in-One Must Have
This supplement is packed with organic herbs, so you can feel good about what you’re doing for your baby’s health. This may be a good solution for moms with severely impacted breast milk production or those who have tried single herb supplements without any luck.
The herbs used in this formula are fenugreek seed powder, blessed thistle powder, milk thistle extract, anise seed powder, fennel seed powder, and goat’s rue powder.
The blend of herbs includes some that can sweeten the taste of your breast milk, which may appeal to some babies. If they start to savor the flavor, they may begin nursing more, which can indirectly boost your milk supply.
- May make your breast milk taste sweeter.
- It can boost the nutritional quality of your milk.
- The herbs used are all organic.
- You’ll have to take two pills a day.
- These are fairly expensive.
New Chapter Vitamin and Lactation Supplement
Kind on the Tummy
This is a postnatal vitamin and lactation aid all in one. With fermented probiotics added to the blend, it helps prevent the upset stomach women sometimes get when taking lactation supplements. You can even take this supplement on an empty stomach.
The 3-in-1 formula includes multiple herbs, including lemon balm, chamomile, lavender, cardamom, and multiple minerals.
We like that this brand is formulated with non-GMO, organic ingredients.
- Contains some probiotics.
- Shouldn’t make you feel nauseous.
- Made from high-quality ingredients.
- You have to take three tablets a day, so it can get pricey.
- Some moms don’t like the taste.
Mommy Knows Best Lactation Supplement
Packs a Punch
This supplement uses two potent herbs — fenugreek seed and blessed thistle powder. The capsules are vegetarian-friendly, which is always great for those who value cruelty-free options.
You do have to take this two or three times a day. Since that’s two capsules at a time, you could be taking up to six capsules a day. You should also take it with food to prevent an upset stomach.
These supplements are manufactured in the U.S. and don’t use artificial colors or flavors.
- Lactose-sensitive moms can take these.
- This formula doesn’t seem to have a lot of side effects.
- Works fast.
- You have to take a lot of capsules every day, which isn’t great for moms who don’t like to swallow pills.
- Because you have to take so many pills, it can get expensive.
UpSpring Milkflow Drinkable Lactation Supplement
For Those Who Hate Pills
If you would rather not swallow pills, this drinkable supplement is an easy solution.
It contains fenugreek, anise, blessed thistle, beetroot, and carrot seed. Plus, it’s berry flavored to make the whole thing more enjoyable. Because you have to add water, you’ll get the extra hydration, which is always great for milk supply. If you want a fruitier taste, you can mix it with juice instead.
It’s a good pick for vegans and people who can’t have gluten. And there aren’t any artificial ingredients in this formula.
To start with, you only need to take one packet per day, which may be a big relief to women who don’t want to remember to take supplements multiple times a day. But if you don’t see enough improvement with that one packet, you can take more after a while — although you shouldn’t use more than three per day.
- One packet a day may be enough for you.
- You won’t have to swallow any pills with this one.
- It’s affordable.
- It might cause upset stomachs for both you and your baby.
- Some moms couldn’t tolerate the taste by mixing it with water — they had to use juice.
WishGarden Herbs Herbal Supplementation
Quick and Easy Drops
Moms who have trouble swallowing giant-sized tablets or capsules may appreciate these supplement drops that you put on your tongue. You might not like the flavor, but if you have a problem with the taste, you can just mix it in with some juice or water.
The non-GMO drops are gluten free, and there are no sugars or stimulants in this formula either, which is nice for both you and your baby.
Only wild-harvest, organic ingredients, like raspberry leaf and fenugreek, are used in this blend. The company is committed to the sustainability of the resources it uses, so eco-friendly mamas should approve of this.
- The liquid is easy to swallow.
- Absorbed by your body quickly.
- There are no stimulates in this formula to keep you awake.
- Admittedly, this isn’t a great-tasting formula.
- One small bottle is fairly pricey.
WishGarden Happy Ducts Natural Breastfeeding Support Supplement
Blocked Ducts Rescue
Sometimes you have a lower milk supply because of clogged ducts. This condition can be painful, and it’s best to take care of it promptly because clogged ducts can severely impact your supply.
The herbs used in this blend can help unplug those ducts and get the milk flowing again. Plus, the support from the herbs can boost your supply in the process. This doesn’t contain any caffeine, so it won’t interfere with your sleep or your baby’s sleep, which is good for moms who are already feeling sleep deprived.
This formula consists of organic ingredients that were harvested in the wild. Each bottle contains one ounce of liquid. You can take the liquid drops straight up or mixed with another drink.
- It begins working quickly.
- Can be used for taking care of ducts once they’re clogged or for preventing them.
- Caffeine free.
- While this isn’t expensive, you have to use two or three droppers full for a dose, so it goes fast.
- The drops have a strong floral taste.
Maxi Health Lactation Nursing Support
Next Level Milk Support
If swallowing capsules doesn’t bother you, this product might be right up your alley. Although you’ll have to down nine capsules per day, this supplement has a lot going for it. It’s a vegetarian formula and is gluten free. If you’re health-conscious, you’ll appreciate that it doesn’t use artificial preservatives, coloring, or flavors.
You don’t have to skimp on effective herbs — this formula is crammed with the good stuff. It has alfalfa, anise, barley grass, fennel, fenugreek, marshmallow root, nettle leaf, red raspberry, and spirulina.
We especially love that these have no taste.
- The capsules are easy to swallow.
- The combination of herbs may be more helpful than an individual supplement.
- No bad aftertaste.
- You need to take them throughout the day, making it easier to miss doses.
Best Naturals Fenugreek Seed Supplement
Plain and Simple
If you’d prefer to try a single-herb supplement, you may like this one as it only uses fenugreek seed.
This supplement may help boost milk production, and it doesn’t contain any undesirable ingredients or possible allergens. Plus, it doesn’t have any artificial additives like coloring, sweeteners, preservatives, and flavors.
Fenugreek will also give moms an added boost of vitamin C, vitamin B, and beta-carotene.
Best Naturals is made in the U.S. And if you relish the idea of helping others with your purchases, you’ll like that this company donates a percentage of the profits from every bottle sold to help needy children access necessary vitamins.
- It’s affordable.
- People who can’t have lactose, gluten, or artificial sweeteners can take this without problems.
- Some moms report that this supplement works quickly.
- You’ll have to take four to six capsules a day, spread throughout the day.
- It can upset sensitive stomachs.
Oregon’s Wild Harvest Fenugreek
Wholesome Lactation Supplement
There are only two ingredients in this lactation supplement — organic fenugreek seed and a vegetarian capsule.
If you’re on a tight budget and not keen to spend a lot of money on lactation supplements, this low-cost option might appeal to you.
And for new moms who want to take as few herbs as possible, this is an excellent choice. Although it doesn’t work for everyone, fenugreek is one of the main lactation herbs that get results for moms. Because it does have such a good reputation, however, it’s a good place to start when you’re first exploring your lactation issues.
- Easy to swallow capsules.
- They’re very affordable.
- Some moms may like that there are only two simple ingredients.
- You’ll have to take three capsules a day.
- Some moms complained about gas pains when taking this product.
Oat Mama Brewer’s Yeast
For the Bakers
Breastfeeding moms who love baking and making their own snacks should check out Oat Mama’s brewer’s yeast. Brewer’s yeast is full of good things your body can use to help increase your milk production, including iron, B vitamins, protein, chromium, and selenium.
You can use brewer’s yeast for making lactation cookies, smoothies, granola, or oatmeal. It’s been debittered, which helps give it a milder flavor. Plus, the package comes with a lactation chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back.
If you can’t tolerate gluten, you should be pleased to hear it doesn’t contain any.
- The recipe on the package is tasty.
- Not as bitter as some other brewer’s yeasts.
- This product is geared toward people who make their own snacks – not those who want prepackaged items.
- A bag is rather expensive and may not be budget-friendly for all moms.
Majka Nourishing Lactation Support Protein Powder
For the Active Mama
If you’re a new mom hoping to boost your breastmilk supply, people may have told you to try lactation powders to enhance what your milk makers are putting out. But often, these powders taste chalky and are expensive to purchase.
If you’re going to fork over your hard-earned dollars for a lactation powder, we recommend this one.
Majka is a company created by moms and professional nutritionists. The powder contains minerals, protein, fiber, vitamins, and foods known to increase women’s milk supply.
One thing that makes this product different is that it contains six protein sources instead of the typical three that other companies use. All the protein sources used are organic too.
You can add a scoop to a smoothie or drink, or if you don’t mind the flavor, you can simply mix it with water.
- Unlike many other lactation powders, there is no chalkiness.
- The list of healthy ingredients is impressive and useful whether you’re breastfeeding or not.
- The protein helps you feel full.
- It’s expensive, but if it works, it may save you the cost of buying formula.
How Do Lactation Supplements Work?
Although there hasn’t been much research into how lactation supplements work, many of the ingredients enjoy such popularity because they’ve been used successfully for centuries to increase milk supply.
How They Work
But swallowing a pill isn’t the only thing you can do to boost your supply if it’s low. You should also be regularly pumping or breastfeeding since draining both of your breasts is one of the best ways to up your milk production. Also, you should make sure to get as much sleep as possible and drink plenty of water.
How to Choose a Lactation Supplement
There are many different options when you’re looking for the best lactation supplement, and while finding the right one isn’t exactly a silver bullet, it’s pretty close.
Here are some tips for helping you decide which one to go with: