Your feet will change and may swell during pregnancy. You need good footwear to provide stability and support as your weight increases and your center of balance shifts. But functional shoes don’t have to be ugly!
We’ve scoured the web for the best pregnancy shoes that are supportive, cute, and comfy and don’t compromise on fashion. Treat your feet to a pair (or more!) of our top ten picks — including flats, boots, slippers, dress shoes, sport shoes, and more — and carry your baby with ease throughout your pregnancy.
- Shock absorption feature
- Easy to get on and off
- Comfortable memory foam sole
- Rubber sole
- Convenient slip-on design
- Has an orthotic insert
- Non-skid sole
- Purchase helps a charitable organization
- Have a supportive insole
- Great traction
- Offers adequate arch support
- Memory foam in footbed
- Absorbs shock when walking
- Very low, comfortable heel
- Breathable hands-free style
- Great arch support
- Designed primarily for foot health
- Supports arches and ankles
- Absorbs shock while walking
- Easy to pull on
- Low, comfortable heel
- Sturdy rubber sole
- Convenient slip-on style
- Low, comfortable heel
- Sturdy rubber sole
- Alleviates heel pain
- Fashionable touch
- Easy to slide on & off
Do I Need Different Shoes for Pregnancy?
First, your feet will grow up to half a size during pregnancy — and this change may be permanent (1). Your old shoes may be too tight and uncomfortable as your pregnancy progresses.
Water retention is common during pregnancy, and your feet and ankles may swell — especially after a great deal of use. If this happens to you, restrictive footwear might suddenly become difficult (or impossible) to get on.
Your weight increases when you’re expecting, which naturally puts more pressure on your joints and feet. Good footwear with proper arch support will not only help to keep your feet comfortable but help you maintain good posture and prevent issues in other parts of your body — like back or pelvic pain.
Finally, when you’re pregnant, you’re at greater risk for falls. Not only does your center of gravity shift upwards as your belly grows, but your body’s production of the hormone relaxin will cause your joints to be looser (2). Choosing sensible shoes can help minimize your risk of falls, which could be dangerous to both you and your baby.
How to Choose the Best Shoes for Pregnancy
Keep these features in mind when choosing shoes to wear while pregnant.
- Slip-on: Slip-on shoes are a pregnant woman’s best friend. Not only do they allow swollen feet to get in and out easily, but you don’t have to figure out how to bend over and tie them.
- Rubber soles: Rubber is an excellent shock absorber and can help alleviate some of the joint discomfort associated with pregnancy. They also provide great grip, which can help you avoid slips and falls.
- Low heel: A low heel offers more stability than a high heel and more support and protection than ballet flats.
- Arch support: To prevent pain in the heel or ball of your foot, choose a pair of shoes with good arch support, which better distributes the pressure throughout your whole foot.
The Best Shoes for Pregnancy in 2022
Here are our all-time favorite shoes for pregnancy.
1. Skechers Sport Empire Sneaker
These sneakers are super fashionable, and you don’t even have to lace them up. The slip-on design has an air-cooled memory foam insole to help you stay comfortable.
The midsole has built-in shock absorption, and the uppers are flexible enough to accommodate any swelling. And the non-skid sole will help prevent slips, keeping you safe and upright whether you’re working out at the gym or just hanging around your house.
- Shock absorption softens each step.
- Convenient slip-ons won’t take forever to put on.
- They have a super comfortable memory foam sole.
- The uppers are flexible.
- They don’t come in wide sizes.
These shoes have an orthotic insert to help keep your feet happy, healthy, and comfortable. The upper is made from breathable mesh, which will allow the shoe to “give” a little if you need the room, while still offering adequate support.
The sole is made from rubber to prevent slipping, and it also provides shock absorption to alleviate stress on your joints.
And finally, the slip-on design means you won’t have to figure out how to bend over and tie your laces.
- It has a rubber sole.
- Shoes slide on and off — no bending required.
- The orthotic insert offers exceptional support.
- The sizing runs large.
- They can only be hand washed.
3. Tom’s Women’s Classic Flats
These shoes are great for your swollen feet during pregnancy because they don’t have a restrictive ankle. This allows ample room for them to expand.
The sizing tends to run a bit large, and the canvas material has a lot of give, keeping your feet comfortable as your feet swell and recede.
They have a non-skid, synthetic sole to help prevent slipping. And even though these shoes are called “flats,” the insole includes arch support to help prevent fatigue in the bottom of your feet.
- Design is easy to slip on and off.
- Your purchase helps a charitable organization.
- Chic, minimalist style with dozens of color options available.
- They’re not available in wide sizes.
- The canvas may lose its shape over time.
- Some women find they wear down pretty quickly.
Crocs have a reputation for incredible comfort combined with incredible ugliness. Thankfully, they’ve expanded their line to include more designs, such as these sandals that happily combine both comfy and cute.
The strappy design will accommodate a swollen or expanding foot, and the rubber sole will keep you safe from slips. Added traction will also help you stay upright, and the foam cushion softens each step.
The contoured foot offers adequate arch support, and the low heel holds your foot in a proper anatomical position.
- Waterproof design makes them easy to clean.
- They have excellent traction.
- Soft cushioning absorbs shock.
- Not available in half sizes.
- Plastic/synthetic uppers may aggravate sensitive skin.
5. Aerosole’s Women’s Ballet Flats
These pretty ballet flats have memory foam in the footbed to keep your feet from aching after a long day. They have a wide, low heel that provides some shock absorption and keeps your foot in its proper position, helping to prevent joint pain.
Made from textiles and synthetic materials, they may not be as flashy as the shoes you used to wear, but there are still several cute designs to choose from.
You can jump back into those heels after your baby arrives — but for now, you might want to stick with conservative footwear to preserve your comfort.
- Three neutral colors to choose from.
- Simple design still looks dressy.
- Shallow, comfortable heel.
- Sizing runs small and narrow.
- They take some time to break in.
6. Propét Travelfit Slide Walking Shoe
This shoe combines the comfort of an athletic shoe with the ease of a sandal. The slip-on, hands-free design allows you to slip these shoes on easily, but the adjustable laces will ensure a snug, custom fit, regardless of whether your feet have swelled or not.
The upper offers full-coverage support and protection. They’re also breathable to keep your foot from overheating. Finally, they’re lightweight but still offer good arch support to help prevent joint pain or injury.
- Breathable fabric stays comfortable in hot weather.
- They’re lightweight and will pack easily.
- Additional arch support distributes foot pressure.
- Slip-on style means you won’t need to bend over to put them on.
- The open-heel design doesn’t offer ankle support.
- The long, narrow shoe might not work for some foot shapes.
7. Orthofeet Orthotic Sneakers
These shoes were specifically designed to assist those with foot-related pain and medical conditions. The orthotic insole includes a gel pad at the heel along with fantastic arch support to minimize stress and back pain.
They have air pockets under the feet to help with shock absorption, and the uppers were designed to minimize pressure points.
While they do come with traditional laces, you can always swap them out for elastic no-tie versions, so you don’t have to bend over to tie them as your belly grows.
- Designed primarily for foot health.
- They offer ankle support.
- Great arch support.
- They absorb shock, preventing joint pain.
- They have laces.
- They’re expensive.
- They may be too hot in the summer.
8. Qupid Slouchy Flat Boot
Riding boots are always stylish. And this slouchy style has a looser-fitting ankle, allowing slightly swollen feet room to wriggle.
They don’t have zippers, so you don’t have to worry about bending over to fasten them. The rubber sole will help keep you from slipping on certain surfaces, and the low heel means they won’t negatively affect your balance.
Finally, these boots are vegan friendly as they don’t contain any animal products.
- Convenient slip-on style.
- Made with vegan-friendly materials.
- Low, comfortable heel.
- Sturdy rubber sole.
- Not waterproof.
- Don’t hold up to a lot of wear.
9. LongBay Furry Memory Foam Slippers
Nothing sounds better than furry memory foam slippers — especially when you’re heavily pregnant in the dead of winter. These LongBay indoor shoes are perfect for pregnant women with swollen or painful feet.
They give you full coverage and have a tight grip for ultimate stability. The non-slip rubber sole is great for wearing around the house, but it also means you can wear the shoes outside. We don’t recommend taking a long winter walk in them, but they’re suitable for taking out the trash or visiting a friend’s house.
- High-density memory foam offers ultimate comfort.
- Relaxes foot arch and eases pain.
- Great for indoors, but they work outdoors too.
- Four color options.
- The upper fabric tends to get fuzzy.
- No ankle support.
10. Vionic Women's Pacific Alexis Platform Sandal
Pregnancy woes can worsen in the summer, with the heat causing you to feel as swollen and uncomfortable as a beached whale. Don’t let it get you down! These comfortable and cute sandals keep you cool and allow you to have fun on your summer adventures.
The midsole is made of a lightweight, flexible material (EVA) to absorb shock and reduce stress on the feet, ankles, and knees. The durable rubber outsole provides traction on many surfaces, including sand, and the soft nylon webbing uppers prevent chafing.
Best of all, they’ve been biomechanically designed to hug your arches, which is great for alleviating heel pain. A small row of rhinestones will help pregnant moms feel a bit glamorous on the rough days.
Invest in these sandals to continue enjoying summertime fun during your pregnancy and beyond.
- Proven to alleviate heel pain and provide essential support.
- Rhinestones offer a fashionable touch.
- Easy to slip on and off.
- The rhinestones may fall off.
- Not a great choice for moms on a budget.