Do you find yourself staring suspiciously at shopping carts trying to gauge how many germs are on the surface?
Even though you can’t see them, you know they’re there. And if you or your baby touch them, you could both end up sick.
That’s where shopping cart covers come in handy. They sit on top of those germs and keep them away from your precious baby.
That way, if your little one is tempted to explore that nasty shopping cart handle with their mouth, those germs won’t make their way in.
- With strap for sippy cup
- Comes with a safety harness
- Very affordable
- Keeps small babies safe
- Provides comfort
- Germ-free protection
- Comes in 3 different designs
- Fits any large-sized cart
- Gives baby total protection from germs
- Large storage pocket
- Soft, minky fabric
- Includes interactive ribbons & toys
- Front loops to hold toys
- Really soft fabric
- With padded seat and leg holes
- Has a lot of uses
- Eye-catching, pretty cover
- Extremely versatile
- Stays snugly on shopping carts
Do I Really Need a Shopping Cart Cover?
Kids have a truly astonishing talent for getting sick. While it might seem a little paranoid to worry about the germs on a shopping cart, you only need to consider that your alternative might days of dealing with a snotty, unhappy child.
When you’re a mom, prevention becomes your middle name, and using shopping cart covers is just one way to stay on top of things.
How to Choose a Shopping Cart Cover
Shopping cart covers have soared in popularity in recent years. While you used to have to settle for the one or two covers you could find, you have more choices now. You can afford to be picky and find exactly what you’re looking for.
Here are some factors you’ll want to consider before buying a shopping cart cover.
- Comfort: Sitting in a shopping cart isn’t exactly fun for kids. Sure, there’s a lot to look at to keep them entertained, but those carts are hard and uncomfortable during an extended grocery shopping trip. You might want to find a cover that offers your baby some extra padding so they’ll be more apt to happily sit there until you’ve gathered all the groceries you need.
- Straps: Kids love to climb anywhere and everywhere they can. So you’ll want to find a shopping cart cover with straps. That way you won’t turn around from grabbing a box of oatmeal just in time to see your child about ready to do a swan dive onto the ground because they stood up in the seat and lost their balance. Straps will keep both the cover and your child attached to the cart.
- Durability: Your child will be picking at the cover you choose and it will be scraping against shopping carts every time you use it. You’ll want to ensure the fabric can hold up to heavy use like that.
- Whether you need a gender-neutral color: If you love to surround your daughter with the color pink, that’s your choice. But if you’re on a tight budget and you hope to have more children, you might want to find something that will work for either gender. Gender-neutral items can also be easier to sell when you no longer need them.
- What you can afford: You don’t have to spend an obscene amount on a shopping cart cover, but some of the more expensive covers will come with more padding. They might also have other extra features you’ll like, like pockets. Besides, if you spend a little more on these covers, you can always use them for other things to get your money’s worth out of them.
- How you take care of it: Moms have enough to keep them busy without having to hand-wash shopping cart covers. Look for one that can go in the washing machine and save yourself some work.
The Best Shopping Cart Covers of 2021
Here are some great shopping cart covers to consider.
1. Infantino Compact 2-in-1 Shopping Cart Cover
This cover will work whether you’re shopping or if you need a high chair cover while you’re enjoying a lunch out. It will protect your baby from those high chairs that are hastily wiped down in restaurants and could potentially be carrying a lot of germs.
Because babies have roving hands, it’s best to find covers that guard your baby from all surfaces of the cart they can reach. This one gives complete coverage so fewer germs will find their way into your baby’s mouth.
It also has two loops for toys and a teether. That way your baby can stay entertained and happy during your shopping trip.
When you’re done using it, you can fold it and store it in a tote in your trunk so it’s ready to go next time you need it.
- Has a strap for your child’s sippy cup.
- Comes with a safety harness.
- It’s pretty affordable.
- Machine washable.
- It doesn’t contain much padding.
- The jungle theme seems a bit boyish, but it will work for a girl too.
2. Summer Infant 2-in-1 Cushy Shopping Cart Cover
The child’s seat in a shopping cart is gigantic for infants but too small to comfortably hold a car seat or baby carrier. Use this cushy cart cover to guarantee your little one’s safety and shop in peace.
Each cover includes an infant positioner to prop up younger babies so you can keep them safe and secure. Fully cushioned, it offers support around your infant’s back and both sides of the body. The material also helps protect against germs.
As your baby gets older, the positioner can be easily removed. The remaining portion of the cover is also padded to guarantee your baby’s comfort.
You can also keep your child entertained with their favorite app or video on your smartphone. A vinyl pocket will keep it in place while protecting the screen. There are also two loops to attach toys.
It fits most retailers and grocery store carts, as well as restaurant high chairs. No matter your child’s age, they’ll love settling into this cover.
- Infant positioner keeps small babies safe, comfortable, and germ-free.
- Positioner can be easily removed as your child grows.
- Moms would love more pockets and storage space.
3. Boppy Cart and Chair Cover
This cover is big enough to even handle the oversized carts you’ll find at some stores. It’ll give you 360-degree protection for your baby. Whether they reach in front, off to the sides or behind them, they won’t be able to pick up any germs. Every inch of that cart will be covered.
This comes with a slide line system meant to stop your baby’s toys from hitting the ground, and it even comes with a crinkly toy that should keep them busy for a few minutes during your trip.
The safety straps will stop your baby from crashing to the hard ground in the store. That means you’ll have a little more time to concentrate on what you’re grabbing so you don’t miss any items off your shopping list.
If your baby gets the cover filthy after repeated uses, you’ll be glad to know you can toss it in the washing machine and it’ll be just fine.
- It comes in three different patterns and colors.
- It should fit any large-sized cart.
- It’ll give your baby total protection from germy surfaces.
- While this is supposed to work for high chairs as well, some moms said it wasn’t great for that purpose.
- There’s no elastic on the edges to hold this in place so it can slide a bit.
4. Boppy Luxe Shopping Cart Cover
Grocery shopping with an active child can lead to a lot of stress. If your baby is full of energy, this shopping cart cover will help distract and entertain them while you shop.
The extra large design allows for a number of add-ons, including a patented slide system so you can attach your baby’s favorite toy directly to the cart. You won’t have to worry about losing it or having it thrown into a stack of cans. There’s also crinkle toys and bright finger ribbons included.
Overall, the entire cover is very soft and made out of a machine-washable, minky fabric. Because of its extra-large design, you get 360-degree coverage on all shopping carts and high chairs. When you’re done shopping the entire thing folds down into an integrated travel pouch you can easily leave in your car or place in your diaper bag.
- Allows you to attach and secure your baby’s favorite toy to the cart.
- Soft, minky fabric ensures comfort.
- Includes interactive ribbons and crinkle toys.
- The large size can make folding and unfolding a bit of a hassle, especially if you’ve got multiple children.
5. Skip Hop Compact 2-in-1 Shopping Cart Cover
This compact cart cover also doubles as a high chair cover, and it will fit most sizes of shopping carts and high chairs. It will work well for smaller carts and it only takes a minute to attach it. It has a strap to anchor it to the cart and a strap to keep your baby attached to the cover.
When you’re done shopping, it will fold up into the stretchy pouch that’s built-in to the cover. The pouch has a little loop on it so you can hang it on your wrist as you’re walking out of the store carrying a lot of bags.
It does have some padding to keep your baby more comfortable. It also has a machine-washable liner so you won’t spend all your time cleaning this between uses.
- It has two front loops to hold toys.
- The fabric is really soft.
- It has a padded seat and leg holes for extra comfort.
- The fabric is a bit slippery.
- Doesn’t fit on big carts like the ones at Target.
6. Kids N’ Such 4-in-1 Shopping Cart Cover
While it won’t have any padding to protect your baby’s bottom or legs from the hard surface of the shopping cart, the fabric is soft so it will feel comfortable against their skin.
You won’t even have to pack this cover in the diaper bag to take it into the store with you. You can wear it around your neck as a scarf. It’ll be one less thing you have to carry in your arms.
Because the fabric stretches so well, it can fit a number of different-sized carts. No matter whether your cart is big or small, you should be able to protect your baby.
- It has a lot of uses.
- This cover is affordable.
- It’s an eye-catching, pretty cover.
- It also comes in a floral print.
- It won’t offer your child any padding.
7. Lakeson & Co. 4-in-1 Shopping Cart Cover
This stretchy grocery cart cover can also be used for three other purposes. It can double as a car seat cover, a nursing cover, and stroller blanket or cover. You can also wear it around as an infinity scarf until it’s time to put it into action.
It works for twins while covering shopping carts because it doesn’t have any designated leg holes in it. It leaves the leg area free while protecting all the bars your kids would be grabbing. As long as your children can fit side-by-side in the child seat, this cover will work for both of them.
This company also does a good deed for each product it sells. They’ll either plant a tree to help keep the air clean or plant a packet of wildflower seeds to promote the health of bees.
- Extremely versatile.
- Really affordable, especially considering how many uses it has.
- It stays snugly on shopping carts.
- This only comes in a girly floral pattern.
- There are no safety belts on this cover.
The Bottom Line
While the Infantino Compact 2-in-1 cover is a little light on padding, it’s still one of the best shopping cart covers.
It gives your baby a lot of protection from all the germs that surround them and it doubles as a high chair cover, too. That means you’ll get double the protection for the price of one cover.
It’ll also keep your baby’s toys from picking up germs because they won’t hit the ground if you use the loops that come with the cover. Plus, the safety harness will keep your child from getting hurt, and it’s always a great day for a mom when they can prevent injury and illness.