When you’re a new mom, your style can get put on the back burner while your baby becomes the center of attention. There is nothing wrong with this — sometimes you just need clothing items that can help make your life a little bit easier.
A nursing top or tee can help you feed your baby more quickly and simply than regular clothes can. Plus, these shirts are explicitly designed with nursing mothers in mind! This means they’ll have all sorts of useful features for making your busy life easier.
The good news is that not only can you find shirts that will make breastfeeding your little one easier, but it’s possible to find shirts that don’t compromise either your comfort or your sense of fashion.
Here’s how to find the best nursing tops and nursing tees for you.
Quick ComparisonOur Top Nursing Top Picks of 2020 Read Full Reviews
What Is a Nursing Top?
A nursing top is a shirt that’s specifically designed to be used during breastfeeding. There are usually special features that make it easier to feed your baby without your clothing getting in the way.
The main focus of nursing tops is ease of access. They ensure you can quickly get to your breast without having to lift your shirt or remove it entirely.
What Are the Different Styles?
There is a mind-boggling range of different styles of nursing tops. Whether you want a tank top, t-shirt, or long-sleeved shirt, there are a few key features to keep in mind (1).
- Buttons: Buttons look cute and are useful for allowing you quick access when you need to nurse.
- Drop down: There are nursing shirts that allow you to release a piece of fabric from your shoulder strap and drop it down to open and access your breast.
- Lift up: This does not mean you have to lift up your whole shirt, but rather that there is a separate piece of fabric over your bust that lifts up to access your breast through the opening underneath.
- Zippers: Sometimes small details are the smartest. Feeding your baby could be as easy as unzipping the front of your shirt.
- Ruffles: Tops and dresses can have strategically placed ruffles that look summery and casual. All you need to do is raise the ruffle that’s hiding a nursing opening underneath.
- Vertical: Some shirts hide vertical slits within the gathers of the shirt. What looks like a pleat is really a sneaky boob access point!
- Double layer: Some shirts have double layers. You lift the outer layer to access the inner one with a handy opening.
- Cowl neck or halter neck: Pull down the neckline to reveal the smaller crop top underneath. Wraps and crossover styles have this same feature.
- Tank tops with clips: Shirts like nursing tanks have a clip you undo to allow access for feeding, much like a nursing bra (2).
Why Purchase a Nursing Top?
Some mothers don’t mind doing without nursing-specific clothing, while other mothers may benefit from it greatly.
Nursing clothes typically look like normal clothes but are made with special fabrics so they are sure to be a little more comfortable. The openings on these shirts are virtually invisible and easily disguised within the piece’s design.
Even in a crowd of people, you can discreetly feed your little one thanks to the clever openings in your clothes. If you’re a person who’s nervous about public feeding, this solution will be right up your alley.
The best part is these shirts are not just functional, but modern and fashionable too, and are usually loose enough to be flattering to any post-pregnancy figure.
Features of the Best Nursing Tops
Not all nursing tops are created equal, so it’s important you look for certain key features before making your purchase (3).
- Machine-washable: Let’s be honest, spit up and leaks do happen, so you want to make sure you can wash your shirt easily and/or frequently.
- Not too tight on your body: Tight-fitting clothing when breastfeeding can compromise milk supply and cause mastitis.
- The fabric is opaque: Softness and comfort is one thing, but you don’t want the material to be so thin you can easily see through it.
- Easy to use for breastfeeding: You want to make sure the opening is actually easy for you to use when breastfeeding.
- Works well with your nursing bra: Some nursing bras open in different ways than nursing shirts. You want to make sure yours can work well together.
- Hides your post-pregnancy belly if you want it to: Many nursing shirts have designs that are more flattering to your post-baby body. If this is something that makes you self conscious, it would be helpful for you to seek a more forgiving design.
- Whether or not it has a built-in bra: If you want to skip a nursing bra and hope your tank can offer enough support, make sure you find one with a great built-in bra.
- Feminine design: You shouldn’t have to compromise your femininity and style for breastfeeding. There are many designs and styles that will resemble the clothing you wore before your pregnancy.
- Gently supports your breasts: You want to make sure your breasts are gently supported to help prevent stretch marks or discomfort.
- Ease of access: If you are worried about undoing buttons or clips when preparing to feed your baby, make sure you choose a style that can be easily accessed.
How Many Nursing Tops You Need
The choice is up to you when trying to determine how many nursing-related shirts you need. Some mothers will wear nursing shirts exclusively, while others never wear them. You could always buy a couple and see how you like them, and then decide whether or not to purchase more.
One of the perks of nursing shirts is they don’t look all that different from regular clothes. This means you can still wear these shirts even after you stop nursing, as long as you don’t mind the hidden openings. Nursing shirts are usually more comfortable than regular clothes anyway, so why not try to get the most wear out of them?
If you don’t plan to wear a nursing shirt, a nursing tank top is great to wear under your own regular clothes. These tanks allow you the freedom to wear regular clothes, but still have the added security of discreetly feeding your baby.
Now that you are familiar with the benefits of nursing tops and the features to look for when trying to buy one, here are our top 30 picks.
Best Short Sleeve Nursing Tops
Short-sleeved nursing tops are more popular than long-sleeved ones, which means there are many more options to choose from. It can be great to have a lot of choices, but it makes the buying process more difficult. Here are our top 10 short-sleeved nursing shirts.
1. Short Sleeve Summer Nursing Shirt
This shirt is made of soft and breathable material that makes it great for summer. Not only can you easily nurse your baby with the double layered feature of the shirt, but you can do so while looking stylish. This shirt has a soft pink color paired with super trendy ruffles that will help any mom feel a little more beautiful.
2. Savi Mom Plus Size Nursing Shirt
This top is great for breastfeeding, plus it can even be worn during pregnancy. The tie front allows easy access to nursing openings beneath, for hassle-free feedings.
The top is made from ultra-soft material, and an added bonus is the tie front can be undone to offer a little more coverage when feeding your baby. The tie can also be worn in many different ways, so one shirt offers you a variety of looks.
3. Bearsland Cold Shoulder Summer Top
This shirt has a very feminine look to it, so if you feel like breastfeeding has compromised your style, this shirt may be your saving grace. It allows you to breastfeed your baby via some clever double layering. The cold shoulder style makes this shirt and allows you to change up your typical nursing attire.
This light-colored shirt is perfect for work and it even includes vertical openings for pumping or nursing sessions. This top is designed to be used during pregnancy and nursing, so it’s super comfortable. The flattering neckline, stretchy material, and easy fit make this a great go-to top for work.
5. Ekouaer Layered Nursing Top
This top is perfect because it doubles as both a maternity top and a breastfeeding top, sparing you the need to buy both. This shirt makes nursing easier and more discreet with its layered design, and is flattering for all kinds of figures.
6. Bearsland Nursing Top
When you’re at work, you don’t want it to be obvious you’re wearing a nursing top. The double layered design can be a dead giveaway, but this shirt masks this feature beautifully with ruffles. You’ll feel professional wearing this shirt, but still have the ability to pump or nurse.
7. BEAdressy Casual Nursing Shirt
This shirt has a design that comfortably conceals that post-pregnancy body and also hides possible breast leaks. The design is stylish enough to be worn daily, and the double layer makes it easier for you to quickly breastfeed your baby whether in public or at home.
8. Bearsland Plus Size Nursing Top
This top is a great summer asset that can help keep you feeling cool and pretty. The design of the shirt is quietly Grecian, with all the ease of a traditional nursing top, but is still a wonderful piece of clothing in its own right. This shirt has a pull-down design, giving you freedom and a little elegance.
9. Tinkwell Summer Nursing Shirt
Sometimes simple is best. This shirt has an elegant draping layer design, but the materials are still cool and lightweight. You can feed your baby by simply sliding one side of the shirt over to reveal the nursing opening.
10. Amazing Speed Casual Nursing Shirt
If you’re looking for a nursing shirt that is both cute and efficient, this is the one for you. The double layered feature and the side buttons allow you to feed your baby on demand easily. This is a great summer go-to top because you can dress it up or down, no matter the occasion.
Best Long Sleeve Nursing Tops
In colder months you can never go wrong with the added warmth of a long-sleeve shirt. You may think nursing shirts are harder to find in long sleeves, but that is not the case. Here are 10 of the best long-sleeve nursing tops.
1. GINKANA Women's Nursing Hoodie
So soft you’ll want to live in it, both during and after pregnancy. This shirt is discreet enough for nursing in front of company, and the double layer provides easy breastfeeding access.
It’s lightweight and warm, without being too hot. The super soft material means a comfy transition from pregnancy to motherhood.
2. Maramita Long Sleeve Casual Nursing Shirt
This is a nursing top you’ll want to actually leave the house in! This long-sleeve knit shirt has a sexy empire waist style and flattering angled stripe pattern, plus the fabric has been pre-washed to minimize shrinkage. This is a shirt you’ll be happy to wear even when you’re no longer breastfeeding.
3. Pinkydot Women's Casual Nursing Hoodie
The fabric of this nursing hoodie is breathable and elastic, a little like a jogging top. It’s lightweight but warm and perfect for keeping you warm and cozy on fall or winter days. It’s easy to feed your little one with the double layer design that allows convenient nursing access.
4. Bearsland Comfy Long Sleeve Nursing Shirt
This shirt is knitted from a stretchy cotton-jersey blend that makes it practical and warm for spring and fall. The super discreet design allows you to simply lift the outer drape when you need to breastfeed. There are no zips or clips to undo, and this shirt comes in both turtleneck or round neck.
5. BEAdressy Long Sleeve Nursing Shirt for Work
This shirt comes in a variety of different colors and patterns so you can choose which one matches your style the most. The long-sleeve design is suitable for spring or fall. You’ll be able to nurse or pump inconspicuously with this shirt because its double layer design will keep you well-covered.
6. GHO Casual Nursing Top
If you’re looking for a nursing top with an edgier, modern design, this is it. The slashed neckline gives it a ton of sex appeal, and the discreet zippered layer allows you to unzip a portion of the shirt when it’s time to nurse. This is great for those moms looking for something a little different from the typical double layer tops.
7. Soteer Nursing Top with Ruffles
This is a super discreet and stylish nursing top perfect for both work and casual wear. The soft and comfortable material was designed with postpartum moms in mind, with an elasticized waist that’s forgiving on your post-baby body. The nursing openings are secretly hidden underneath one of the ruffles to make this top look more like regular clothing than a double layer nursing shirt.
8. Chulianyouhou Long Sleeve Breastfeeding Shirt
This shirt has a generous double layer front that makes it convenient to nurse your baby on demand. The long-sleeve design is ideal for spring and autumn wear, and the neutral gray stripe pattern means you can mix and match with the rest of your closet, easily dressing it up with jeans or leggings for off-duty style.
9. Smallshow Women's Nursing Top with Lace
If you’re looking for a nursing shirt that’s just a little different, this one is perfect. This fashionable, color-blocked piece is elasticated and super comfy for that postpartum figure, plus the back features a pretty lace embellishment to up the style. You can discreetly nurse your little one with the well hidden openings underneath.
10. SE MIU Long Sleeve Nursing Shirt
This “patchwork” style shirt is great for daily casual wear as it’s both comfortable and stylish, and best of all it looks nothing like a nursing top! There are multiple colors and designs you can choose from, so you are sure to find one that matches your personality. This shirt looks great paired with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings.
Best Nursing Tanks and Camis
As a nursing mother, you can never have too many nursing tanks and camis at your disposal. There are so many different styles and types on the market, that it’s easy to become overwhelmed. Let’s help you narrow down your decision by looking at the top 10 choices for nursing tanks and camis.
1. Bearsland Summer Nursing Tank
This tank is a perfect summer solution because it’s not only lightweight and comfortable, but trendy too. The feminine floral patterns and ruffles make this a staple nursing top. The ruffles hang down and conceal your breasts during feeds, and you can also adjust the straps for a perfect fit.
2. Smallshow Nursing Tank
This shirt is designed to be super flowy, so if you have a larger bust, this shirt has all the room you need. The pleats are subtle and stylish, making it look more like an ordinary top. The soft material and many color choices means you’re sure to find something you like.
3. Daisity Casual Nursing Tank
This gently supportive nursing cami is a fashion essential for breastfeeding moms! Designed to add a little flair to your nursing wardrobe, it can be worn as either outer and underwear. Try it on its own or under your favorite jacket or sweater.
Feminine and flattering, it features easy one-hand nursing clasps and an internal shelf bra for support and modesty.
4. Caramel Cantina Nursing Tank
These tanks are great to wear as an undergarment or as a night time cami. They come with built in shelf bras with light support, but no pads. The adjustable straps make it easier for you to control your comfort, and the super soft material contains spandex so it can stretch to your post baby shape.
5. Ekouaer Summer Nursing Tank
This summer nursing tank top is just so cute. You don’t have to sacrifice style in order to be able to breastfeed, and on those hot summer days, you don’t have to sacrifice comfort, either. The ruffles on this shirt make for easy access, and the lightweight material and spaghetti straps keep you cool and feeling fresh.
6. Modern Mummy Nursing Tank
This tank top has an elegant white lace neckline that will add a little charm to any outfit. This top can definitely be dressed up or down, and is appropriate for the workplace. The double layered design makes it easy for you to breastfeed on demand no matter where you are — and you’ll want to go everywhere in it.
7. Hibelle Summer Spaghetti Strap Nursing Camisole
Nothing says summer quite like this stylish camisole. The side knot gives character to this piece and allows you to adjust the tightness. The double layered design makes it easy to breastfeed no matter the setting, which could be anything from a backyard barbecue to the poolside.
8. Casual Nursing Tank Tops
These tank tops are a necessity for nursing mothers who prefer natural fabrics. You can wear these 95 percent cotton tops alone, or under another top. The expandable bust area ensures your breasts are never constricted, and you can easily feed your baby by pulling down on one side of the tank, no clips required.
One major perk of this tank is it includes inserts for breast pads to help catch those unexpected leaks.
9. Niitawm Nursing Tank
This is the perfect, fashionable, everyday nursing top. The style and cut of this top make it a trendy piece to add to your collection. While many nursing tanks only allow you to access one breast at a time, one major benefit of this one is that it allows you to freely tandem nurse or pump. This tank can be dressed up or dressed down to meet your wardrobe needs.
10. Foucome Plus Size Seamless Nursing Tank
These tanks are awesome for women needing a little more stretch out of their nursing attire. These not only unclip for nursing, but they also offer additional support with a built-in bra, and you have the option to insert breast pads if need be. This top is perfect if you are looking for a larger size nursing top that will provide all-day comfort.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick for the best nursing top is the Short Sleeve Summer Nursing Shirt.
This shirt has everything you could possibly want in a nursing top. It doesn’t have the traditional look of other nursing tops that use the double-layered design, so nobody will be able to tell you’re wearing one.
This clever design allows you to be unobtrusive when you’re nursing, as the stylish ruffles help conceal your breast while not hampering your easy access.
If you’re a little nervous about modesty during a feed, this top has you covered (literally!). And though many moms worry about sacrificing style when trying to find ideal nursing clothing, this top allows you to have the best of both worlds.