Are you heading to a baby shower? Nobody wants to give the baby something that will be useless and just take up space in the house.
So how do you choose the best newborn baby gifts? What makes a baby gift good? What do you even get a newborn who can’t do anything yet?
We’re going to go over all things newborn and give you some tips for the best gifts. We’re also going to highlight our top 25.
- Inhibits mold growth
- Variable humidity control
- Features a projector screen
- Organic cotton fabric
- Six-pack bandana bibs
- Trendy and fashion-forward
- Handrawn illustrations
- 160 pages
- Made from organic materials
- Soft, lightweight, minimalistic feel
- Machine washable
- World-renowned and best-selling author
- 32-page book
- Safe and soft
- BPA free
- Lightweight construction
- Thick and soft
- Safe and effective
- Pediatrician recommended
- Food grade silicone
- Adorable and high quality
- 100% cotton
- 12 designs to choose from
- Thick and absorbent
How to Choose Newborn Baby Gifts
Let’s cut to the chase: babies are expensive. As much as the parents-to-be may say they don’t want anything, everyone needs some must-haves. Consider some of these options:
Memory books and other keepsakes are sweet and personal gifts. Most parents don’t think about these until they realize they haven’t recorded anything.
Some people even have their baby memory books sitting out at their high school graduation parties. This means you’re giving something that will last a lifetime.
Toys and Books
Toys and books may seem unnecessary for a newborn, but some can actually be beneficial. There are some things to keep in mind:
- Sensory toys: Any toy that can make noise, light-up, or has different textures can benefit a baby’s development. For the first few months, babies can mostly see black and white. High-contrast items will be entertaining for them.
- Board books: As the baby gets older, they’re going to learn to grasp things. Board books provide a sturdier structure to hold onto.
- Teethers: These have different textures to help soothe the baby’s gums and come in many cute and fun designs. Some may even have a rattle attached.
- Activity mats: These are bigger items, so make sure you don’t get a duplicate or one that the parents won’t like. They come with a soft mat for the baby to lay on. They’ll also sometimes have toys that hang over the top for the baby to look at and play with.
Last but not least, the gift card. Don’t feel bad if you give a gift card. These can come in handy and help alleviate costs for new parents.
The Best Newborn Baby Gifts of 2021
Here are our top picks for newborn baby gifts.
1. Vicks Starry Night Humidifier
This product is a must-have for when the baby gets congested or needs a little extra light to sleep. It’s a cool mist humidifier that comes with a slot to insert Vicks VapoPads to help open nasal passageways.
Along with that, it has a starry night soother projector that will project the moon and stars onto the ceiling in changing colors. This is a nice way to help soothe the baby to sleep.
It’s easy to clean and uses wicking filters that help inhibit mold growth.
The first time our daughter caught a cold, we were miserable until we remembered we had this. Up until that point, we only used it as a nightlight. Once we turned it on with one of the pads, our daughter instantly went to sleep without hesitation.
It should be noted that your baby should be at least 14 pounds before using Vicks tabs with this humidifier.
2. Vuminbox Baby Girl Bandana Drool Bibs
We like this drool bib set because it comes in a pack of six bibs and attached to it is a bonus teether. These bibs can fit newborns to toddlers and are made of soft organic cotton for extra comfort.
3. As You Grow Modern Memory Book
Nothing is better than being able to keep something that baby can look back on when they’re older and reminisce. This memory book is gender neutral and has enough acid-free pages to record moments from pregnancy up until kindergarten.
It’s broken up into sections and comes with a pocket where you can store keepsakes as well. While baby won’t be able to fully appreciate this until they’re older, it’s a sweet gesture.
4. Snuggle Me Organic Newborn Lounger
As much as a new baby wants to be held, there are going to be times when that just isn’t possible. This lounger will allow the baby to feel comfy and snug. It’s lightweight and is made from GOTS-certified organic material, plus it’s machine washable.
This product is recommended for newborns up to nine months old or until your baby can roll over on their own.
5. Welcome Little One Board Book
If you want to give something heartfelt, consider this board book. It comes with colorful illustrations and a rhyming poem that promises baby a lifetime of love and care.
There’s also a spot where you can fill in baby’s information. This includes their name and birth stats.
6. Manhattan Toy Winkel Teether
This toy is perfect for helping the baby work on their grip and early dexterity skills. On top of that, the plastic loops are BPA-free so it’s okay if the baby puts it in their mouth. It has a rattling sound when shaken.
This teether has won several awards including the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Blue Chip Award.
7. Baby Monthly Milestone Blanket
If the parents-to-be are into social media, this may be a good gift to consider. This milestone blanket is double-purpose with one side for weeks and the other for months. It comes with a frame and ribbon to use during pictorials.
Aside from picture time, this can also be laid out on the floor so the baby can have comfortable tummy time. This is 100 percent organic soft fleece.
8. Little Remedies New Baby Essentials Kit
This may not seem exciting but it will come in handy. In this kit, you get a variety of medicinal essentials for different ailments. That includes saline spray, a nasal aspirator, gas relief drops, butt paste, and gripe water.
All products are paraben-free and don’t contain any artificial dyes or flavors.
Keep in mind that anything given to the baby especially medicinally, should be cleared by the pediatrician first.
Editor's Note:Katelyn Holt RN, BSN, BC
9. Baby Elefun Baby Teether
There is nothing worse than a teething child. Not only do teethers help sore gums but by keeping the baby calm, they keep parents from totally losing their minds.
This baby teether comes in two options, a black and white cookie or a brown cookie. It also doubles as a pacifier clip so you don’t need to worry about baby losing their binky or their teether.
The teether is made from BPA-free, food-grade silicone to ensure no toxins reach your baby. It should still be washed before the first use and cleaned with soap and warm water or pacifier wipes.
10. Baby Aspen Bathrobe
If you want to gift a bathtime item, consider one of these bathrobes. It fits babies 0-9 months and comes in six different designs. You can choose between a pink shark or bunny, cat, lamb, unicorn, or princess.
This is a thick terry towel and is made from 100 percent cotton. It also comes with a hood to help keep baby warm.
11. Baby University ABC’s Four-Book Set
If the parents-to-be are into science, this book set will make the perfect gift for their new baby. This set comes with four board books — ABCs of Space, Science, Mathematics, and Physics.
Even though the content is far beyond their years, it still makes for a lovely bonding experience between caregiver and baby. Never too young to enjoy books.
12. The I Love You Book
This is a silly, yet heartfelt book that the baby is sure to enjoy well into toddlerhood. The author uses simple and vibrant illustrations.
The wording he uses reminds the baby that their parents love them even when they do naughty things like hiding keys.
13. Safety 1st Deluxe Health Kit
If you want practicality, then consider gifting this 25-piece health/hygiene kit. This one comes with everything needed for grooming including a convenient carrying case.
It includes nail clippers and filers and items to help with the dispensing of medicine. On top of that, there’s an emergency information card that parents can fill out if needed.
14. Skip Hop Silver Lining Playmat
Activity mats are a popular item on baby registries, so why not try this oversized one? It has a sweet gender-neutral design so you don’t need to worry whether mom is having a boy or girl.
In gym mode, the baby can play with the removable toys that include a mirror, rattling star, and squeaker, among others. The fabric is plush and soft so baby will always be comfortable. A cloud-shaped pillow is included for tummy time.
15. Baby Quote Socks
16. Baby Swaddle Sleepsack
The fabric is cozy and warm and made from 100 percent cotton. Parents simply zip baby into it with their arms through the armholes. Then they fold over the velcro flaps to hold their arms in place.
This product makes swaddling a much easier process than when you use a regular blanket. There are 40 designs and colors to choose from, so you can choose your favorite.
17. Baby University Four-Book Set
This is one that could be paired with our other future-scientist set. It also comes with four books for baby, including an introduction to Quantum Physics, Rocket Science, General Relativity, and Newtonian Physics.
The wording is as simple as possible and the illustrations are vibrant and bright. This is perfect for new babies as their eyesight is developing.
18. ProHouse Baby Headbands
These head accessories are awfully adorable. They’re small enough to fit the little ones but have enough stretch in them to last a few years.
They come in a pack of sixteen head wraps giving you enough color options for OOTD look. Nonetheless, it’s soft nylon material is a great fit for newborns.
19. Warner Bros Justice League Bodysuit
For any Justice League fans out there, this is the perfect gift. This baby outfit comes with a onesie. This would make a nice, funny gift for pictures.
The fabric is made out of cotton and polyester, therefore making it lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking. It’s also machine washable and dryer-safe.
20. Knit Swaddle Sleeping Bag
This thick knit sleeping bag is great for families who live in cooler climates. It’s made from cozy material and comes in 10 different color options. The wooden buttons and hooded design add to the appeal.
It’s most suitable for babies ages 0 to 6 months and can be fastened and unfastened easily for quick diaper changes and removing the baby.
21. Burt’s Bees Baby Trial Set
Pediatrician tested and tear-free, you know you’re getting some quality products. We appreciate the small bottles, which are perfect for trying but not having to commit to. Also ideal for traveling with baby.
22. Amazing Baby Transitional Swaddle Sack
The swaddle sack is made with 100% cotton. The fabric is super stretchy and can fit babies from 0 to 3-months-old.
Best of all? No velcro or snaps with this swaddle option which means ultimate comfort for the babes.
23. Beebico Pacifier Clip & Teether
This pacifier clip and teether combo is another good option if you want to gift something to help with teething. This particular one comes in the shape of a coffee cup and has pale pink, gray, and white coloring.
It conveniently clips to your baby’s clothing or car seat as well so it’s great for outings.
24. Noggin Stick Rattle
Many parents consider this one the “ultimate sensory toy.” It has high-contrasting colors and lights up. This is really beneficial for baby’s developing eyesight.
It has different textures for the baby to feel, a mirror on the bottom, and makes a rattle noise when shaken. This toy is sure to keep the baby’s attention and make tummy time much more fun.
This toy also comes with a booklet to give parents tips on using it in a developmentally appropriate way.
25. Nursery Night Light
If the upcoming baby is anything like most other children, they may fear the dark. This night light comes in three modes and lights up with different colors just by tapping on the silicone surface.
The lamp itself is made out of BPA-free silicone. There’s a built-in battery for portable use, and the lamp can be charged in three-hours time via the micro USB port.
What to Avoid When Choosing Newborn Gifts
Keep in mind, there is such a thing as a bad baby gift. However, nobody wants to be the one who gifts the parents-to-be something inconvenient or distasteful. Here are some helpful guidelines to follow.
- Baby sleepers with buttons: This may not seem like a big deal, but it will when mom or dad are trying to change a poopy diaper in the middle of the night.
- Formula: This may be well-meaning, but formula shouldn’t be given unless the parents have explicitly asked for it.
- Elaborate outfits: They’re adorable, don’t get us wrong, but chances are the baby will outgrow it before they have a chance to wear it.
- Anything that goes against the parents’ interests or values: This can include religious-themed gifts or clothing with suggestive wording the parents may be uncomfortable with.
- Newborn-size clothing: If you want to gift something the baby can wear right away, we suggest sticking to size “0-3 months”. Based on experience, this size will last a little longer.
- Unsafe materials: If you want to give something like a teether or rattle, make sure they don’t contain anything that can be toxic to babies. Look out for labels that mention things like “non-toxic,” “BPA-free,” “no parabens,” etc.
- Teething jewelry: The Food and Drug Administration recommends using teething toys for relief rather than teething jewelry. Teething jewelry can come with risks like choking or strangulation.