Are you looking for a baby night light to illuminate your little one’s room without keeping them awake?
With so many multipurpose options available, it can be hard to determine which light is best for those late-night feedings and diaper changes.
We’ve studied all the best baby night lights on the market, comparing their prices, features, and thousands of reviews to save you time and make your life a little easier.
From portable lamps to convertible mobiles to projectors that cloak an entire room in a satisfying glow, these are the best baby night lights for your nursery.
- Programmed to turn on automatically
- Offers a variety of colors & sounds
- Includes toddler lock feature
- Lifetime warranty
- Soothing anti-blue light
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Easy control touch
- Adjustable light intensity
- Battery lasts up to 40 hours
- Adjustable volume control
- Four colorful lights
- Responds to baby’s cry
- Three soothing sounds and songs
- Three projection images
- Built-in timer
- Plays 10 different lullabies
- Five different volume settings
- Velcro straps secure it in place
- Mobile soother and night light modes
- Includes three adorable spinning toys
- Plays 18 non-repetitive tunes
The Best Baby Night Lights of 2023
After many hours of evaluating and comparing the best baby night lights on the market, we’ve come up with this list of our favorites.
Hatch Baby Rest Night Light and Sound Machine
Most Portable & Best All Round
If you hope to find the best baby night light that includes a sound machine, this one has many features.
This sound machine can be customized and can even grow with your child.
The unit was designed for sleep. Its light colors have been scientifically proven to help develop healthy circadian rhythms and melatonin production, which promote uninterrupted sleep.
One of the best features of this baby night light is that it can be fully customized or programmed from your smartphone.
As your child grows, their needs change. You can use this light to provide a soft glow for your baby’s middle-of-the-night feedings or diaper changes and then later use the time-to-rise feature, which lets your older child know when they can get out of bed in the morning.
- Can be programmed to turn on automatically.
- Offers a variety of colors and sounds.
- Includes toddler-lock feature.
- The light may be too bright for some rooms.
- The app may not load properly on everyone’s phone.
- Some users noted the sound stopped shortly after purchasing.
Asani Cute Chick Bedside Night Light
Best Baby Night Light for Breastfeeding
Nighttime feedings can be tricky, but having a subtle light can help make the process a little bit easier.
This Asani baby night light is one of the best options if your baby is still feeding at night. It has simple one-hand touch controls so you can operate it while holding your baby.
It emits an anti-blue light to promote restful sleep, while its 1,200 mAh battery powers the night light for up to 300 hours of dim light.
If you need a little more brightness in the room, you can toggle between the lowest light setting and the super bright light. This way, you can use the same light for nightly diaper changes.
Because of its portability, you can use this for both indoor and outdoor camping.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Soothing anti-blue light.
- Energy-efficient LED.
- Brightest setting is suitable for outdoor use.
- Poor battery life.
RTSU Dimmable Touch Tap Light
Best Night Light for Newborns
Newborns are still trying to adapt to their new world, and sometimes a little bit of light can set them at ease. This nursery night light is one of the best options for newborn babies because its LED lights are safe for even the smallest eyes. Some baby night lights use bulbs that are bright enough to damage the eyes, but this light’s brightest setting is still safe for newborns.
Moms can benefit from this light because it can help guide the way for those late-night feedings and diaper changes. Newborns require a lot of nightly attention, and it always helps a sleepy mom to have a little bit of light.
We love that you can adjust the brightness of this baby night light, as we generally want more light for diaper changes and less for night feeding. Bright lights can trick both mom’s and baby’s brains into thinking it is time to get up for the day, so the less light, the better.
This light doesn’t have to hit the attic once your child is out of the newborn phase. It is durable enough to withstand a toddler’s harsh handling.
- Easy control touch.
- Adjustable light intensity.
- Battery can last up to 40 hours on a dimmer mode.
- Power cord not included.
VTech Baby Critters Soothing Night Light
Best Baby Night Light for Soothing
This little critter is an adorable companion that has a variety of features to help comfort and soothe your little one.
This cuddly hippo serves as a simple night light and can project a starry night upon your baby’s ceiling. It plays a variety of soothing tunes, nature sounds, and more.
The hippo comes in blue or pink and helps comfort your little one with its combination of lights and sounds. A unique feature is that the lights and sounds turn on automatically when your baby cries.
The parent-friendly volume and timer controls let you choose how loud and long the sounds play so you are in control of your baby’s exposure.
- You can adjust the volume control to meet your baby’s needs.
- Four colorful lights project a starry night onto your baby’s ceiling.
- Voice-activated to respond to baby’s cry.
- Timer switch can play for 10, 20, or 30 minutes.
- Portable for easy use when traveling.
- No ability to choose specific songs and sounds as it cycles automatically
- Audio quality is pretty low.
Homedics MyBaby SoundSpa Lullaby
Best Projector with Sound
Sometimes parents are too exhausted to provide the stimulation their baby needs. But many babies will respond well to a stimulating environment — mom and dad aren’t the only ones who have to create it.
The Homedics MyBaby SoundSpa offers a wide variety of stimulation that may just buy you some added zzz’s in the night. The sound spa lets you choose between soothing sounds and classic lullabies for your little one.
Babies aren’t very fond of silence as they are used to hearing a wide range of sounds in the womb. A little background noise can go a long way in comforting them and helping them stay asleep.
You can take the auditory stimulation to another level by including some visual stimuli. A traditional night light is intriguing for some babies, but projected images seem to capture their attention longer.
This sound spa comes with one image disk with three diverse scenes. The device can play music and project images simultaneously or separately.
An auto-off timer is also included so you can determine the duration of the sound spa features.
Many sound machines and soother projector baby night lights can be big and bulky, making them best for at-home use only. This device is compact, durable, and small enough to fit into a diaper bag.
- Three soothing sounds and songs.
- Three images for picture projection.
- Timer options for 15, 30, 45,or 60 minutes.
- Auto shut-off after three hours.
- Volume doesn’t run very high.
- There is no “off” button.
Bubzi Co Baby Sleep Aid Night Light
Best Plush Toy Night Light
Most babies love to have a trusty sidekick to snuggle. This sweet, plush toy can help offer your little one the comfort and support they crave. However, stuffed toys should stay out of your child’s crib because that’s a safety no-no (1).
With this plush baby night light, you can choose the sounds your little one loves best with a range that includes lullabies, white noise, a heartbeat, or a combination of all of these. Simply push the button to initiate the music, and 30 minutes later, it will automatically shut off so you don’t have to creep in on a sleeping baby.
Your baby might be intrigued by the beautiful and comforting night lights that the Soothing Sleep Owl projects onto their wall. With the press of a button, your baby’s ceiling will turn into a captivating sky constellation.
You can take this hand-washable trusty companion anywhere because it is battery operated. Your little one can enjoy this owl’s company from a stroller, car seat, or playpen — as long as you are there to supervise.
- Plays 10 lullabies.
- Includes five volume settings.
- Velcro straps secure it in place.
- The company donates money from every purchase to Postpartum Moms International.
- Automatically turns off after 30 minutes.
- The batteries don’t last long.
Tiny Love Meadow Days Soothe 'n Groove Baby Mobile
Best Mobile & Night Light Combo
If you are trying to find a soothing sleeping solution for your baby rather than a distracting one, this mobile is a fun option.
The cute mobile design includes a built-in baby night light and 18 soft melodies for your baby’s enjoyment.
The universal attachment fits most modern cribs. And once your child outgrows the need for a mobile, this can become a table lamp or night light. Like most parents, we love multi-use items that last for years.
- Mobile soother and night light modes grow with your baby and help them sleep.
- Mobile includes three adorable spinning toys.
- Plays 18 non-repetitive tunes for up to 40 minutes.
- Universal attachment fits most cribs.
- Requires three C batteries.
Are Night Lights a Good Idea?
You may be wondering why you should invest in a quality night light rather than buying the same cheap version you used as a child. Is putting money down for such a limited-use light is worth it?
We’ve found numerous benefits to adding a night light to your child’s nursery or bedroom.
- Comfort: A night light can comfort your child if they’re afraid of the dark, helping them fall asleep more easily.
- Practicality: It makes nighttime feedings and diaper changes easier.
- Security: It allows you to check on your child at night without having to turn on lights, disturbing their slumber — or yours.
- Safety: The best baby night lights will create a safer environment, illuminating your surroundings and reducing accidents. The glow of the light ensures you don’t stub your toe on crib legs or step on any toys.
- Cost-efficiency: Some parents try to brighten their child’s room by leaving a closet or hall light on all night. This may get the job done, but it’s not as practical. Night lights use little energy and won’t run up your electric bill.
Types of Baby Night Lights
There are a variety of night lights on the market, each with its own pros and cons. These are some of the most common features we explore when comparing the best baby night lights.
How to Choose the Best Baby Night Light
Because there are so many night lights available, it’s essential to keep these factors in mind when choosing one.
Extra Baby Night Light Features
Are you a gadget-happy person or a minimalist? Some parents like to keep things low-key, while others want to buy products with all the features they can find.
Some baby night lights come with handy additional features you may want to consider, such as:
- Sound machines.
- Color-changing bulbs.
- Motion sensors.
- Phone-controlled night lights.
- Humidifiers with night lights built-in.
Baby Night Light Safety Precautions
As with all baby items, it’s important you educate yourself on the safety hazards of baby night lights so you can protect your little one while still enjoying the benefits.
Here are some tips to ensure everyone in the household stays safe while using night lights.
- Keep out of reach: If your baby’s night light has small parts, make sure your little one cannot reach it. Many night lights contain choking hazards that could pose a threat. Keep your night light away from your baby’s crib.
- Watch for cords: Be extra cautious of cords that could cause strangulation or electrocution.
- Remember fire safety: Some night lights tend to get hot, which could lead to a fire. Keep an eye out for product recalls in case your night light makes the recall list.