Is your baby irritable in bed or when trying to go to sleep?
Some babies still need stimulation when they are trying to fall asleep to help distract them from the idea of immediately wanting mom.
A mobile can be a great addition to your baby’s crib or sleeping area because it can provide the necessary stimulation that may help distract your baby from missing you.
We’ve rounded up the best baby mobiles to entertain your little one and help them drift off to sleep.
- Contains 60 songs
- Detachable toys
- Adjustable holder height
- Velcro fastener for infant carrier
- Easy attachment to cribs, strollers, bassinets
- Large clip for stroller
- Grows with your baby
- Specially-designed soothing motion
- Includes a soft night light
- Introduces baby to high contrast images
- Graphic cards are labeled by age
- Adjustable cord on mobile
- Supports development and entertainment
- Easily transforms as your baby grows
- Includes night light function
- Mobile soother and nightlight modes
- Includes 3 adorable spinning toys
- Plays 18 non-repetitive tunes
- Attaches easily to most crib styles
- Intricately balanced rods and beads
- Bright colors enhances baby’s vision
- Music or Bluetooth selection
- Simulated clock design
- Music sounds and light projection
- Hypoallergenic, environment-friendly materials
- Simple yet elegant
- Easy to construct
- Clips easily to strollers, car seats
- Attractive colors and patterns
Why Do Babies Love Mobiles?
As you have probably heard many times by now, back is best when it comes to babies sleeping. When your baby is on their back in their sleeping area, the ceiling above can be a rather uninviting place to look.
Babies thrive on stimulation and having something entertaining to look at may be the difference between your baby being content and then quickly becoming fussy. No one wants to stare at a blank ceiling, but if there is an interesting object above, your baby will become intrigued.
Baby mobiles are great for parents who are hoping to get a little extra free time when their baby is in bed or resting. If your baby quickly becomes fussy as soon as you leave a room, a mobile may be a comforting and distracting companion.
Types Of Baby Mobiles
Aside from the fact that baby mobiles have different features, many of them are built and attach in different ways. It is important that you become familiar with all the different kinds of attachments, uses, and features, so you can make an easier decision when it comes time to make a purchase.
There are typically three types of baby mobiles:
This is the most popular type of baby mobile, and it is also the easiest to assemble. All you have to do is clip it to the side of the crib and your job is done. These types of mobiles can support more weight, so they often have more complex items hanging from them.
This type of mobile is no longer as popular because of the fact that you have to make a hole in your ceiling. A hook would be placed into the ceiling and this item would hang from it. A downside to this is that if you ever want to move the location of the mobile, you would have to create another hole in the ceiling.
Much like the crib-mounted mobile, portable ones often clip onto whatever item you choose. The difference between these and the crib-mounted ones is that the items will not be as heavy because it is meant to be frequently moved around and not stationary.
How to Choose the Best Crib Mobile
It is important you find a mobile that is going to satisfy your baby.
When you are on the hunt, you should keep the following features in mind.
Is There Movement?
A baby mobile that moves will be much more fascinating to your little one than one that remains in place. Baby mobiles that move are somewhat heavier than stationary ones because there has to be room for the motor and batteries. One downside to a moving mobile is that you will have to replace the batteries frequently.
What Movement Direction Do You Want?
Baby mobiles used to just spin around in circles by the breeze in a room when windows were open, but now motors can make them do all sorts of things. You can purchase a mobile that moves clockwise, counterclockwise, up and down, or a combination of the three.
What Kind of Toys?
There are hundreds of options of toys on baby mobiles. You need to find one that catches your baby’s attention. If your baby has never looked twice at a monkey, you probably shouldn’t buy a mobile with monkeys.
Try to identify what toys seem to intrigue your little one. If your baby loves Elmo, try to find a mobile with the Sesame Street characters.
Or you may want mellow toys that aren’t too stimulating to promote sleep.
Make Sure It Fits Your Crib
Crib-mounted baby mobiles are designed to fit cribs, but not all of them fit every crib. You should make sure that if your crib has rounded edges, you find one that can accommodate that type of edge. You should do the same thing if your crib has square edges.
There may be some crib mobiles that are universal and can accommodate any crib, but it is important you double check before purchasing.
Do You Like The Music?
If you are leaning more toward a mobile that plays music, make sure you like the music that is playing. Most baby mobiles play soothing tunes, but you never know if yours may choose to play a fast-paced version of a nursery rhyme. Calming melodies are typically the most preferred option.
You should also pay attention to how the music will be played. If you have to wind the mobile every time you want the music to be played, that may become a pain. Most parents prefer mobiles with musical timers. A set amount of music is good, babies go into deeper sleep with a constant white noise like a fan, than they do with changing sounds like music.
Baby’s Point of View
The mobile is for your baby, so you need to make sure it caters to your baby. Some mobiles look great from the parents’ perspective and for decoration purposes, but they aren’t all that appealing from your baby’s point of view.
Make sure you view the mobile from underneath so you have a better idea of what your baby will see and make sure that it seems stimulating and entertaining.
The Best Baby Mobiles of 2022
Here are our favorite baby mobiles on the market.
1. Shiloh Plush Musical Baby Mobile
This musical mobile is great for music lovers hoping to find a mobile that can provide their child with an array of options.
Shiloh musical mobile contains 60 world famous tunes that can play one hour in all. It will also auto sleep after 30 minutes if there is no operation. Press on again and the musical mobile will start at the break point.
There are six buttons on the mobile — music, spin, volume up, volume down, music previous, and music next. The inclusion of these buttons ensures you won’t be stuck with the same selection of songs each time.
When your baby interacts with the toy it will begin to play music or make different sounds to encourage your baby’s interaction.
This is an ultimate musical mobile, in that it has many options, safety features, and fun and inviting colors to captivate your little one.
- Contains 60 songs, up to an hour of music.
- The toys detach for your child to play with once he or she outgrows the mobile.
- The materials in the product are non-toxic and durable if your baby was to bite them.
- The holder height can adjust higher to stay out of the reach of your baby.
- Adjustable music sound level.
- Should not be attached to bassinet.
- Some parents did not like the randomization of songs.
- Parents noted the product was extremely difficult to disassemble.
2. Tiny Love Take Along Baby Mobile
The Tiny Love Take-Along Mobile is a colorful and engaging mobile that easily goes everywhere with your baby.
From a very young age, babies will appreciate the sense of security and continuity invoked by taking this mobile along everywhere they go.
The colorful hanging toys spin to provide your baby with visual stimulation. There are also multiple colors and styles to choose from to ensure you find a mobile that best fits your nursery decor ideas.
This is a perfect mobile for a mom looking to get all the great features of a crib mobile, but having the option to attach and take it on the go easily.
- Fun at home and on the go.
- Easy attachment to cribs, strollers, car seats, and bassinets.
- Thirty minutes of uninterrupted music with 5 different melodies.
- Spinning toys.
- Velcro fastener for infant carrier.
- Large clip for stroller.
- Doesn’t attach to mamaroo.
- Some users noted the mobile squeaks when in motion.
3. Tiny Love Meadow Days Crib Mobile
The Soothe ‘n Groove Mobile is an ingenious way to entertain your child from baby through their toddler days both at home and on the go.
This mobile is well-loved for the variety of musical options.
With six different musical categories and 18 different tunes, there’s up to 40 minutes of continuous and non-repeating music for your child to enjoy. The special soothing motion of the mobile captures a baby’s attention and keeps them engaged, and colorful buttons allow your child to activate and change the music on their own. The unique design features two high-quality speakers for great sound and easy to control volume.
This mobile is awesome for a parent hoping to get more out of the traditional mobile. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be able to attach to a pack and play. So, this option would work best with a crib. Regardless, this mobile will last through the baby stage and keep entertaining your little one as a toddler.
- Grows with your baby. It starts in a crib, but then transitions into a stand-alone music box.
- Offers six different musical options with 18 different melodies.
- Forty minutes of uninterrupted music with your choice of calming or energetic tunes.
- Specially-designed soothing motion for a calm and relaxed baby.
- Includes a soft night light to comfort your baby at night.
- Some users noticed a clicking sound when in use.
- Some parents said mobiles did not have an included night light.
- Does not work with pack and plays.
4. Wimmer-Ferguson Infant Stim-Mobile
The Infant Stim Mobile is a nursery mobile for cribs that incorporates research-based black and white, high-contrast graphics and images to engage your infant fully.
If you are looking for a mobile that provides your child with developmental entertainment, this is a great option.
The easy-to-install crib mobile arm includes an adjustable cord to change the distance of the graphic cards from baby as their vision develops. The arm lock fits most cribs, so you don’t have to stress over whether this one will work.
Babies develop sight, they cannot see anything distinct when they get out of the womb, so this mobile will be great from the start as they are learning to see.
Editor's Note:Katelyn Holt RN, BSN, BC
The Stim-Mobile was developed in 1988, and has received numerous accolades over the years — most recently it was named number one in Best Mobile in Reader’s Favorites. The product prides itself on its attention to detail and milestone-specific graphics to help encourage your baby to learn.
There are 10 different graphics to choose from, so you can be sure to keep your baby stimulated with different images. The images are also designed with age in mind, so your baby will always be challenged and encouraged to learn.
- Introduces baby to high contrast images and colors for early visual development.
- Ten interchangeable cards to offer a range of simple to complex colored patterns and graphics.
- Graphic cards are labeled by age to help ensure you are using cards complimentary of the developmental stages.
- The adjustable cord on mobile allows you to easily change the distance of the cards from your baby.
- Some users noted the pictures did not properly stay in place.
- Some purchasers had difficulty putting the mobile together properly.
- Does not include music.
5. Tiny Love Classic Developmental Baby Mobile
With this mobile, you won’t have to choose between the stark black and white designs of developmental mobiles or the adorable, cute characters children so often love. It combines both for a unique and innovative design.
Three hanging spirals for development and three animal characters hang from the top of the mobile. Choose one of the four melodic tunes from the music box, including a 20 minute continuous loop of classical music. It also features movement and light features.
Moms can control the level of engagement the mobile offers by turning off the lights, movement, or sound as they see fit. Once your baby gets a bit older, you can remove the arm and let them play with the music controls on their own. A glowing night light function also helps babies sleep through the night.
With so many functions and pieces, this baby mobile supports both development and entertainment, making it a great choice for any mom.
- Design elements support both development and entertainment.
- Easily transforms as your baby grows.
- Includes night light function.
- Does not include the three necessary C batteries.
6. Tiny Love Tiny Princess Tales Crib Mobile
If you are trying to find a sleeping solution for your little one that creates a soothing environment, and not a completely distracting one — this mobile is perfect.
You will get many great features with this product, including music and a night light.
The universal attachment eases your worry that this mobile may not fit on your crib. It is designed to fit almost all modern-day cribs with ease.
Once your child outgrows the need for a mobile, this can become a table lamp or night light. The opportunities are endless, and it is great knowing a short-term investment can last much longer.
- It has mobile soother and nightlight modes to grow with baby and help him or her sleep.
- Mobile includes three adorable spinning toys.
- Plays 18 non-repetitive tunes for musical enjoyment up to 40 minutes.
- Universal attachment to fit most cribs.
- Requires three batteries.
7. Wooden Beads Infant Mobile
This hanging wooden beads wind chime features bright colors and a geometrical design that will instantly capture baby’s attention.
The gently swaying crib mobile will encourage your baby to focus and track, and the offset appendages help develop depth perception. This not only helps your baby’s developing vision, but has a calming effect as baby settles into the crib or wakes from sleep.
If you are looking for a more simplistic mobile that doesn’t have all the other modern-day features, this one is great. It is designed in a way that it still moves around, but no batteries or motors are needed.
You can have the peace of mind knowing this mobile can always entertain your child and won’t stop randomly due to a dead battery.
- Attaches easily to most crib styles.
- The rods and beads are intricately balanced to twist and turn to mesmerize your baby.
- Bright colors help enhance your baby’s vision.
- Carefully constructed environmentally friendly materials.
- Does not play music.
8. Intmedic Bluetooth Musical Crib Mobile
The Intmedic Bluetooth Mobile starts as a motorized crib mobile for newborns with music, toys, and light show.
Using Bluetooth function, you can calm your little one with music and soothing sounds – without disturbing your baby! Meanwhile, music mode allows you to play an uninterrupted 40 minutes of melodies and the full-color ceiling light show from your smartphone or tablet.
- Choose from music and Bluetooth sound options.
- Easily attaches to almost any crib.
- Adorable night lights.
- Music sounds and light projection.
- Easy installation.
- No option of playing the mobile without having the music on.
9. Sorrel + Fern Scandinavian Elephant Baby Mobile
If you are too excited to buy baby items prior to revealing the baby’s gender, Sorrel + Fern Baby Crib Mobile will come in handy. It features unique 3D design character projections made of eco-friendly felt and unfinished wood that will lull your baby soundly to sleep in no time.
This mobile is perfect for the mom who wants a minimalistic approach in designing their baby’s quarter.
In addition, this simple yet beautiful baby mobile has six hypoallergenic, environment-friendly felt planets, nine stars and one stuffed plush elephant hung from a minimalist wooden hoop.
- Hypoallergenic and environment-friendly materials.
- Simple yet elegant.
- Easy to construct.
- Cannot play music.
10. Tiny Love Pack and Go Mini Baby Mobile
If you are always on the go, chances are you have looked for ways to entertain your baby. It can be challenging to keep your baby happy in a stroller or car seat because you aren’t always able to quickly come to their rescue.
This mobile is a great solution to on-the-go travel because it is compact and allows you the freedom to bring it anywhere.
The colorful toys will help capture your baby’s attention and hopefully distract him or her from the fact that mom isn’t right there.
This mobile is simple, yet entertaining and any traveling mom needs to utilize this toy.
One of the best features of this mobile is that it is designed to be closer to your baby than crib mobiles. This means your baby will be able to fully interact with it and the pieces are safe for your baby to grab.
There aren’t any strings or dangerous objects that pose a suffocation or choking hazard. This is important especially if you choose to use it in your car where you won’t have your eyes on your baby constantly.
- Clips easily to most strollers and car seats.
- Colors and patterns attract baby’s attention.
- Bell-shaped wind chime makes attractive sounds when baby touches.
- Easily folds away to be carried anywhere.
- No movement or music.
- Some noted the wind chime is heavy and could be dangerous.
Crib Mobile Safety Considerations
As with most baby items, there are safety risks you need to be aware of.
1. Out of reach
If you have noticed your baby can touch or hit one of the hanging items, that may be cute, but it is also a sign you need to raise the mobile.
If your baby has the potential to pull the mobile down or get caught up in the strings, it can pose a serious risk. Not only could this be a strangulation hazard, but it could also cut off circulation to tiny fingers or other body parts.
Once your baby is able to sit up or easily access the mobile and it can no longer be raised, it is time to remove it. You don’t want to put your baby at risk.
2. String length
Even if you feel like your mobile is far enough out of the way, pay attention to the length of the strings. The American Academy of Pediatrics advises that mobiles have strings less than 7 inches, or they could become a serious strangulation hazard.
3. Keep it clean
Your mobile will collect dust just like any other object in your house. It is best if you try to clean it once a week. If you allow dust to collect and then you turn the mobile on, all of that dust is going directly to your baby and your baby’s bed.
4. Keep it secure
You need to make sure the mobile is completely secure. Once you install it, you should give it a tug. If it feels even slightly loose, you should make adjustments.
You don’t want your baby tugging on it and then it falling and landing on his or her head (1).
5. Age appropriate
Your little one will eventually outgrow the mobile, and that means it is time to remove it. Pay close attention to the age range on mobiles when you purchase one. Mobiles are designed with newborns in mind, so they aren’t supposed to last forever for your child.
If a mobile has a suggested age range like 0-6 months, it is probably best you remove it at 6 months because that means your baby will soon master certain milestones that could make your mobile dangerous.
If you still want to utilize the mobile, you can always find another spot for it. Many parents choose to move the mobile above the diaper changing area to keep the wiggle worm slightly distracted and diaper changes a little easier.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick for the best baby mobile is the Shiloh Plush Musical Mobile. With 60 songs, it has the largest library of music out of any of the mobiles I could find. The music settings are also easily adjustable to find the perfect volume and tracklist for your baby.
I also love the fact that the adorable plush toys and can detach from the mobile so that your child can play with them later on.
But what about you? What did you think about our baby mobile reviews? Which mobile are you planning on buying for your baby? Let us know in the comments section below, we’d love to know your opinion!