If your precious baby is suffering, sometimes you need to make a quick decision.
We’re moms too, and we know the horror of opening a wet diaper to find our baby’s sensitive skin covered with a red, painful, even blistering rash. So we’ve spent hours searching for the best diapers for sensitive skin — to help you make the switch quickly and end your little one’s pain.
We compared dozens of diaper brands based on their hypoallergenic and eco-friendly features, moisture-wicking properties, breathability, comfort, ease of use, and — most of all — ability to protect sensitive skin.
Whether you use cloth diapers or disposables, read our reviews to find the best diapers to keep your little one’s sensitive skin dry and rash-free.
- One size fits all
- Extremely durable
- Wetness indicator
- Incredibly absorbent
- Dermatologist tested
- Stretchy side-paneling
- Made with citrus-based odor inhibitors
- Multiple uses
- Fits newborns to toddlers
- Eight-layer cotton center
- Plant-based materials
- Adapts to child’s shape
- Bulk purchase for extra savings
The Best Diapers for Sensitive Skin of 2023
These are some of the best diapers we’ve found for protecting your baby’s sensitive skin and avoiding rashes.
1. Alvababy Cloth Diapers
Best Cloth Diaper for Sensitive Skin
These cloth diapers offer a two-part system, giving you scope to adapt to whatever products work best for you. The diaper consists of a waterproof and washable outer layer that’s designed to channel liquids away from your child’s skin. Pop in a reusable insert to help soak it all up.
For the insert, Alvababy offers several options. The standard diaper includes a tri-layer microfiber material, yet alternatives include those made of 100% bamboo charcoal. Using all-natural materials should be kinder to the skin, which is perfect for tots who have ultra-sensitive skin.
These diapers come in some adorable and funky styles for both boys and girls, and there are plenty to choose from. Because they’re adjustable, they can be tailored to fit your child properly, which may reduce the potential for chafing.
- Reusable cloth diapers are eco-friendly.
- Snap fasteners make them fully adjustable for all sizes.
- Extremely durable materials.
- The snap positioning can be tricky to figure out.
2. Bambo Nature Baby Diapers
Best Disposable Diapers for Sensitive Skin
Bambo diapers are extra soft and absorbent and are made specifically for babies with sensitive skin. They have a back layer that feels like fabric and is breathable to allow for greater airflow. This layer keeps your baby’s bottom dry and reduces the chances of diaper rash.
If irritants are a problem for your little one, these diapers may appeal to you — they’re free from allergens and perfumes. They’re also suitable for kiddies weighing 4 to 66 pounds, meaning they can follow your child from birth to potty training.
What makes Bambo diapers stand out is that they have the Nordic Swan ecolabel. This means they’ve been produced using sustainable methods — that’s less impact on the environment and great for moms keen on saving the planet.
- Suitable for day and nighttime use.
- Wetness indicator — saves you peeking.
- Dermatologically tested.
- Users say they’re incredibly absorbent.
- No bleaching during the manufacturing process.
- Lack of back elastic and highly stretchy leg elastic means frequent blowouts for some babies.
- More expensive than other brands.
3. The Honest Company Diapers
Best Hypoallergenic Diaper for Sensitive Skin
Hypoallergenic diapers are designed with sensitive babies in mind. These diapers are made with a host of plant-based materials, reducing the possibility of any reactions to synthetic materials.
These disposable diapers are made without latex, chlorine, fragrances, and lotions. This will reduce your child’s exposure to anything that can potentially aggravate delicate skin.
The inside liner is designed to draw liquid away from your child’s body. The diaper is also made to hold 17 times its weight in liquid, making it ideal for nighttime use.
For eco-conscious parents, the bulk of this diaper is made with sustainably harvested fluff pulp. The core includes renewable materials that will further reduce your environmental impact.
But the best part is the super-cute designs, which are way more fashionable than your traditional white diaper. Plus, the elastic cuffs offer a greater comfort factor for your child and help avoid leaks.
- Dermatologist tested.
- Available in many local stores.
- Made with citrus-based odor inhibitors.
- Stretchy side-paneling helps protect against blowouts.
- Only available for children weighing up to 35 pounds.
4. Humble Bebe Cloth Diapers
Most Affordable Cloth Diaper for Sensitive Skin
When it comes to cost, prefold cloth diapers have no competition. These are about as simple as it gets and should help you protect your baby’s skin and your wallet.
Made of premium, unbleached cotton, they’re perfect for babies sensitive to any kind of chemical. Because they’re pre-folded, you can easily adjust them to fit your baby perfectly, regardless of age or size, reducing leakages.
Designed by moms who were fed up with what the market had to offer, this brand focuses on maximizing absorbency, which should help keep your baby’s bottom drier.
The diapers come with detailed instructions explaining how to care for them to ensure they work as intended.
The natural oils are stripped away from the material to allow more liquids to be locked into the diaper and kept away from your baby’s skin; the lack of moisture decreases irritation.
What’s great about these cloth diapers is that as your little one outgrows them, they can continue to be used as inserts — saving you even more money.
5. Babyganics Ultra Absorbent Diapers
Most Affordable Disposable Diaper for Sensitive Skin
There are a lot of components you might want to avoid when your baby has sensitive skin, which is why many diapers seem to have a premium price tag.
Babyganics are made without using latex, chlorine, or petroleum-based lotions and fragrances — just simple, plant-based materials.
The company also aims to keep the price down, which is great for moms who want to address their baby’s delicate skin without spending a fortune.
The diapers are thinner than most, allowing them a tighter fit and making them more comfortable for your little one to wear. The snug elastic helps reduce leakages, blowouts, and potential chafing.
Another nice touch is the addition of skin-nourishing natural plant and seed oils, like cranberry, tomato, and sunflower. The wetness indicator on both sides is a fab feature for making it easier to see when it’s time to change.
These diapers can be found at many local stores, so you never have to worry about using a different brand in a pinch. If you order online, you can also find great deals.
- Parents noted how absorbent these diapers are.
- Stretchy design adapts to your child’s shape.
- You can purchase in bulk for extra savings.
- Not biodegradable or eco-friendly.
How To Choose the Best Diapers for Sensitive Skin
When we’re looking for diapers to protect our babies’ sensitive skin and heal or prevent rashes, we consider these key factors.
- Hypoallergenic properties: If your child has sensitive skin, chances are their skin reacts to one or more allergens (1). Hypoallergenic diapers have fewer or no allergens. This doesn’t mean it will be impossible for your child to have a reaction, but it decreases the chances significantly.
- Eco-friendly features: Eco-friendly diapers generally contain fewer ingredients that are harmful to the environment. Most are biodegradable or made of sustainable materials. The materials tend to be gentler on the skin too, making them a safer choice for those with sensitivities (2).
- Moisture-wicking: If a diaper doesn’t keep moisture away from your baby’s skin, their skin will remain damp and warm, and bacteria are more likely to gather. This is one of the most common causes of diaper rash. The best diapers — cloth or disposable — are designed to draw moisture away from sensitive skin.
- Breathability: A diaper needs to allow airflow so your baby’s skin can remain dry and free of bacteria (3).
- Comfort: If a diaper’s elastic is too tight, it can chafe your baby’s sensitive skin. Rough fabrics or fasteners can rub and cause discomfort as well. We look for soft materials and snap fasteners on cloth diapers or stretchy fasteners on disposables to avoid additional irritation on sensitive skin.
- Ease of use: As a parent, you will change hundreds, even thousands of diapers. The faster and easier a diaper is to change, the more likely you are to change it frequently, keeping your baby’s skin healthy and dry. Cloth diapers with lots of extra pieces and multiple fasteners can get frustrating quickly. We prefer all-in-one or all-in-two systems with easy-to-fasten closures.
How Do I Know if My Child Has Sensitive Skin?
However, if your baby reacts to many new products, they may have sensitive skin.
We all use the term “sensitive skin.” It’s written on the packaging of baby wipes, diapers, and cream brands. But what does it really mean? The truth is, it can mean a lot of things and manifest in many ways.
Sensitive Skin: Cloth vs. Disposable
The debate between cloth diapers and disposable diapers is an ongoing one. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. But when it comes to sensitive skin, can one be better than the other?
If you have tried several disposable diaper brands and nothing seems to help your child’s reaction, it may be from the materials inherent to disposable diapers. In that case, switching to cloth diapers might be the answer.
However, if your child’s skin irritation is the result of sensitivity to heat or moisture, it may be better to stick with disposable brands. Cloth diapers tend to be less absorbent than disposable diapers, making it easier for your child to be affected by moisture.