A baby’s skin is thinner than an adult’s and also loses moisture more quickly.
When your baby’s skin becomes dry, it can cause discomfort, itching, rashes, and irritation.
To prevent your baby from experiencing these symptoms, you may want to consider using baby lotion.
We’ve rounded up the best baby lotions that can help keep your baby’s skin soft and supple.
- Not greasy
- No harsh chemicals
- Made in the USA
- Quality organic ingredients
- For babies suffering from eczema
- Offers protection & moisturization
- Clinically tested & proven effective
- Approved by National Eczema Association
- Light and non-greasy
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Hypoallergenic and ultra-gentle
- Doesn't contain harsh chemicals
- Organic ingredients
- Smells good
- Acts as protective moisture barrier
- Gentle & hypoallergenic
- Pediatrician-recommended brand
- Gives full 24 hours moisture
- Over-the-counter relief for eczema
- Maximum relief and healing
- Moisturizes for 24 hours
- Tested by pediatricians
- Quickly absorbed
- Won't clog pores or worsen acne
Does Baby’s Skin Need Lotion?
There are many skin conditions common to babies. If your little one has a condition that persists for a week or more, see your doctor for treatment recommendations. And never apply lotions, creams, or ointments to an open sore or wound without consulting your pediatrician.
Some common skin conditions that may benefit from topical lotions or moisturizers are:
- Dry Skin: Dry skin is caused by environmental factors, exposure, or for no reason at all. It typically looks dry, flaky, or ashy. Dry skin is easily treated with regular moisturizers of any type, though the extremely dry skin may be best served by an ointment.
- Eczema: Many babies suffer from eczema, which looks like a red, bumpy rash but does not appear in the diaper area (1). It typically appears on the face first but can spread to other areas of the body. It’s itchy. Eczema is best treated with thick cream or ointment that won’t only moisturize the skin, but protect it as well.
- Baby Acne: While the exact cause of baby acne is unknown, it’s prevalent in babies. Baby acne looks like small red bumps or teeny pustules — basically just like adult acne, but smaller. Baby acne is not itchy or painful and typically resolves on its own after a few months. Most doctors recommend simply washing and drying a baby’s broken-out skin without adding lotions or moisturizers (2). However, if you feel that your baby is experiencing dryness in addition to acne, you may choose to use a product that doesn’t have a high oil content.
When to Apply Baby Lotion
The best time to moisturize your baby is immediately after their bath when their skin is still damp.
This will serve two purposes:
- It will trap the moisture from bath time into your baby’s skin.
- It will prevent your baby’s skin from drying out after the bath.
As odd as it seems, excessive baths cause skin dryness in babies. The water from the bath removes natural oils from your baby’s skin, causing it to dry out (3). If your baby is eczema-prone limiting soap use at bath time will help decrease dryness.
You may also want to apply lotion regularly in the winter when the weather is cool and dry, which can irritate your baby’s skin and rob it of moisture.
Use lotion or another moisturizer anytime you notice dry skin or another condition that could benefit from hydration.
How to Choose the Best Baby Lotion
When choosing something for your baby, consider the following:
- Skin Condition: Are you trying to treat a medical skin condition? Or simply trying to keep your baby’s skin hydrated? Choose the best product for your specific purpose.
- Ointment, Cream, or Lotion: Depending on your baby’s skin condition, choose the formulation that best suits their needs.
- First Ingredient: Look at the ingredient list. The first ingredient is the main component of the product. If it’s water, it will primarily provide hydration. If the first ingredient is oil, it will offer your baby’s skin protection (but feel greasy). Make sure that the product you choose fits your needs.
- Fragrances: If you’re applying lotion along with a baby massage as part of a bedtime routine, you may want a lavender scent to help with nighttime calming. If you want your baby smelling sweet after a bath, something honey-scented may be the right choice. And if your baby has sensitive skin, they may be best served by no fragrances at all, as fragrance additives have the potential to irritate the skin.
The Best Baby Lotions of 2021
Here are the top baby lotions currently on the market.
1. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion
Not only is this made with certified organic ingredients, but it’s also plant-based, non-toxic, vegan, gluten-free, and not tested on animals. Puracy Organic Baby Lotion was developed by doctors and is suitable for babies with the most sensitive skin — even those with eczema.
The formulation is lightweight and includes natural oils that will both moisturize and nourish the skin. With the lavender and grapefruit scent, your baby will smell wonderful, too.
And with the company’s 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, you can be sure you’ll be pleased with your purchase.
- It’s not greasy.
- It contains no harsh chemicals.
- Made in the USA.
- It contains a fragrance that can be an irritant for some babies.
- Some reviewers found the scent overpowering.
2. Weleda Baby Calendula Face Cream
This nourishing cream is made of 96% organic ingredients so you can feel good about putting it on your baby’s sweet little cheeks. It’s formulated to be safe for your baby’s skin and is even suitable for extremely sensitive or eczema-prone skin.
The calendula (a botanical extract) soothes inflammation, and because it’s cream, it’s thicker than a lotion — meaning it won’t drip into your baby’s eyes and cause irritation. Made of ingredients that are easily absorbed into the skin, it also has no chemical preservatives, synthetic fragrances, or petroleum-derived ingredients.
- It’s full of quality organic ingredients.
- Suitable for babies suffering from eczema.
- The calendula is anti-inflammatory and will soothe unhappy skin.
- Includes no chemical preservatives.
- It’s quite expensive for the size.
- It may feel greasy to some.
- It has a fragrance that may not appeal to you or your baby.
3. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
Aquaphor’s unique combination of active ingredients delivers hydration to the skin and locks it in, but still allows oxygen to reach the skin. This creates an environment that both soothes and protects irritated skin, but also creates ideal conditions for effective healing.
It’s been clinically proven to restore healthy skin and is recommended by many pediatricians. Overall, this is a great all-purpose ointment and it can also be used as a moisturizing product, diaper ointment, and on minor cuts and scrapes.
- This is a versatile product.
- Offers protection and moisturizing without unnecessary medication.
- It allows the skin to breathe, and heal more quickly.
- It’s clinically tested and proven effective.
- It’s greasy feelings.
- It’s thick, so it takes a little longer to rub in.
- Contains petroleum which should be used sparingly.
4. CeraVe Baby Lotion
Here’s a product that’s not only fragrance-free, but it’s also sulfate- and paraben-free as well. It was developed in conjunction with dermatologists to make sure it would be suitable for a baby’s sensitive skin and is even accepted by the National Eczema Association.
It contains a skin protectant, but also ingredients that moisturize skin for 24 hours. And while some “fragrance-free” products still have a discernible scent, reviewers agree that this product doesn’t have any scent.
- It’s accepted by the National Eczema Association.
- Some reviewers said it even healed their baby’s acne.
- It’s light and non-greasy, so won’t require any extra rubbing.
- It’s suitable for delicate or sensitive skin.
- It’s not organic.
- The consistency may be a little too thin for some.
5. Just Hatched Baby Body Lotion
This is a water-based formula that doesn’t contain anything other than what your newborn’s skin needs. It simply provides gentle hydration without harmful sulfates, parabens, or phthalates.
It’s hypoallergenic and offers a light coconut milk scent. Light but lasting moisturizer — at an extremely affordable price.
- It’s hypoallergenic and ultra-gentle.
- It doesn’t contain harsh sulfates, parabens, or phthalates.
- It’s affordable considering the quality.
- It has a light fragrance.
- It’s a thin texture; so you don’t get a thick moisture barrier.
6. Earth Mama Calming Lavender Baby Lotion
This blend is made with non-synthetic calming lavender and warm vanilla to give your baby a fresh, lovely scent that’s pleasant and calming but not overpowering. Organic, herbal ingredients are used to add scent, without the risk of irritation that comes with more chemical fragrances.
This line was developed by a nurse and herbalist and contains no ingredients that you need to worry about being absorbed into your baby’s skin. And with the top ingredient being aloe, it provides a moisture barrier to protect your baby’s skin as well as moisturize it.
- Contains organic ingredients.
- The fragrance smells really good.
- It provides a protective moisture barrier.
- Not suitable for babies with acne.
- The lavender may be harsh on ultra-sensitive skin.
7. Aveeno Baby Lotion with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal
Colloidal oatmeal is a powerful skin-soother. If your baby has chapped, cracked, or red skin, this lotion provides moisture without exacerbating the problem. It also contains dimethicone, a medicated, yet gentle protectant to create a barrier between irritants and your baby’s sensitive skin.
The best part? This lotion lasts for a full 24 hours, so you don’t have to worry about reapplying it. Because it was formulated specifically for babies, you can use it daily. It’s also hypoallergenic, non-greasy, and free of parabens and fragrances.
The bottle holds 12 ounces of lotion. It can be applied anywhere on the skin, but it’s not designed to be tear-free, so we suggest being especially careful if you decided to use it on your baby’s face. Make sure it’s well-absorbed before you let your baby rub or touch their skin.
- The formula is gentle, hypoallergenic, and free of harmful chemicals.
- Colloidal oatmeal is a powerful skin-soother.
- Lasts for a full 24 hours.
- Not tear-free, so you need to be extra careful when applying to your baby’s face.
8. Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
Eczema ointments can be greasy and thick. One reason we love this lotion is because it has a light, creamy feel without sacrificing quality. The formula contains a number of healing ingredients, including dimethicone, glycerin, and a triple oat complex featuring colloidal oatmeal, oat kernel extract, and oat kernel oil.
We especially like that the formula was developed alongside dermatologists specifically for babies with eczema. Some lotions and creams claim to provide relief but are actually full of damaging fragrances and chemicals. With a seal of approval from dermatologists and pediatricians, you can rest easy.
This lotion works to reduce itching and irritation while strengthening the natural barriers of your baby’s skin. You should also notice a decrease in extra-dry skin flare-ups. Because it’s a lighter formula, you can use it as needed.
While it’s great for providing relief, you should work with your pediatrician to find the best treatment plan for your baby’s eczema.
- Great over-the-counter relief for baby eczema.
- Light formula is non-greasy and perfect for daytime use.
- Features triple oat complex for maximum relief and healing.
- Because it’s a lighter formula, it’s not ideal for overnight use.
9. Burt’s Bees Baby Nourishing Baby Lotion
Tested by pediatricians, this water-based lotion is made up of 98.6% natural ingredients to make sure that your baby only gets the best. Infused with natural moisturizing ingredients like aloe and shea butter, for even the most sensitive of baby skin. And you won’t have to slather it on multiple times a day as it moisturizes for a full 24 hours.
It’s paraben-, phthalate-, and petrolatum-free to make sure nothing harmful touches baby’s skin. And although it contains a fragrance, it’s one derived from natural sources so as not to irritate sensitive skin.
- This product is all-natural.
- It moisturizes for 24 hours.
- Contains no formaldehyde-releasing preservatives.
- Tested by pediatricians.
- This product has a scent.
- It’s thick.
- Contains dairy (possible allergen).
10. California Baby Everyday Moisturizing Baby Lotion
This is a thinner lotion that’s quickly absorbed, meaning it won’t be thick or greasy on your baby’s acne-prone skin. And since it’s non-comedogenic (non-pore clogging), it won’t exacerbate it, either.
It contains a natural antioxidant, plenty of organic ingredients, and is gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, oat-free, and nut-free to eliminate the possibility of allergic reactions. If you’re desperate to find a way to moisturize your baby’s dry but acne-prone cheeks, try this since it’s not likely to irritate it.
- It’s light and quickly absorbed.
- It is allergen-free (except coconuts).
- It will not clog pores or worsen acne.
- It does not offer a protective moisture barrier.
- It’s expensive.
- It has a scent.
11. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen
This is a baby sunscreen that protects your little one from UV light without using chemicals that may cause health problems later down the line. Neutrogena has combined safe and effective zinc oxide and titanium dioxide with other ingredients that are gentle enough to be slathered liberally on a baby’s skin.
This has also been given the seal of acceptance by the National Eczema Association, assuring you that it won’t irritate your baby’s skin or exacerbate their skin conditions.
- Provides UVA and UVB protection.
- Approved by the National Eczema Association.
- It’s not primarily designed to be a daily moisturizer.
- It can leave a white hue on the skin.
- It may stain some fabrics.
12. Johnson’s Baby Lotion
Sometimes, classic is best. There’s a reason Johnson’s brand is the empire it is today: it’s because their products work. This has been tested by dermatologists and is designed to be mild on your baby’s skin.
It’s a water-based lotion designed to be light enough for everyday use, and also contains non-comedogenic mineral oil, so it may even be appropriate for your little one suffering from baby acne. The formula is hypoallergenic, so it’s safe for even sensitive babies and moisturizes for a full 24 hours.
- This product is affordable.
- It was tested by dermatologists.
- It’s hypoallergenic.
- Not an organic or all-natural product.
- It contains a (very distinctive!) fragrance.
- It doesn’t provide a protective barrier.
The Bottom Line
The top two contenders were neck-and-neck, but in the end, Puracy Organic Baby Lotion won out as the best baby lotion. Knowing that whatever goes on baby’s skin goes into their body, eases our minds knowing that the ingredients we use are organic.
It’s lightweight and non-greasy yet still suitable for babies with eczema, and even though it has a scent, it was designed to be gentle for baby and derived from natural sources.
A baby’s skin is so soft it doesn’t need improvement, just a little gentle care. Find the perfect product for your little angel, and you’ll preserve their satiny soft skin for as long as possible.