There comes a time in every parent’s life when they are suddenly overcome by strong feelings for their growing child. Unfortunately, the feelings we’re referring to are feelings of disgust at the sudden stench emanating from those once-sweet armpits you used to blow raspberries into.
So, what do you do when your child starts producing body odor? How do you protect your child from the harmful chemicals found in so many products? Do natural deodorants even work?
In this article, we’ll discuss everything you could ever wish to know about deodorants and review the ten best deodorants for kids. Then you’ll be ready to make an educated choice and eliminate that nasty stench once and for all.
- Vegan product, not tested on animals
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Suitable for boys or girls
- Well-loved brand for quality products
- Contains bacteria-neutralizing probiotics
- Wide variety of fragrance options
- Affordable compared to other options
- Uses simple, all-natural ingredients
- Doesn’t contain extra fragrances
- Comes in a larger size than most
- Vegan formulation
- Smoother than other natural deodorants
- Formulated especially for sensitive skin
- Lasts for 24 hours
- Doesn’t stain clothing
- Roll-on style is easy to use
- Fragrance-free formula
- Users claim it works great & lasts all day
- Uses only 4 natural ingredients
- Softens skin while deodorizing
- Non-staining formula
- Sweet, fresh-smelling scent
- Hypoallergenic formula for sensitive skin
- Made in the US
- Lasts for 24 hours
- Free of aluminum, parabens, talc, etc
- Formula stays soft & doesn’t dry out
- Great for kids who sweat a lot
- Uses many natural ingredients
- Comes in a variety of scents
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we understand the importance of choosing the right deodorant for your child. Our comprehensive analysis compares various products, measures their effectiveness, and ranks them based on our hands-on experience and data collected from various tests. We evaluate each deodorant from a user’s perspective, taking into account crucial decision-making factors like skin sensitivity, ingredients, scent, and performance. We also assess the design choices of each product and their impact on user experience. Our findings are supported by first-hand evidence and reviews, ensuring our recommendations are reliable and trustworthy.
The Best Kids Deodorants of 2023
Here are ten great deodorant options for smelly kids of all ages.
Tom's Wicked Cool! Natural Deodorant for Kids
Best Value Deodorant for Kids
Tom’s of Maine’s Wicked Cool! deodorant is an aluminum-free stick deodorant for boys and girls made with all-natural ingredients.
Choose from two light and fresh scents, Summer Fun or Freestyle, which both smell great and are suitable for boys or girls.
This deodorant lasts for up to 24 hours, which is perfect for preteens who are far too busy to be bothered with reapplying.
The 3-pack set costs less than a lot of single deodorant sticks. Keep one at home, one at school, and one in your vehicle, so your child can smell fresh wherever they go.
- Vegan product, not tested on animals.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
- Suitable for boys or girls.
- Small stick doesn’t last long.
|Net weight||1.6 ounces (45.3 grams)|
|Scent||Freestyle, Summer Fresh|
Native Natural Stick Deodorant
Best Natural Deodorant for Kids
When most people think about natural deodorant, Native is usually the first brand that comes to mind. It is by far the most well-known and well-loved natural deodorant.
Although not formulated specifically for kids, Native’s all-natural ingredients make it completely safe and beneficial for sweaty people of all ages.
This vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free deodorant is unique in that it also contains a probiotic (acidophilus). This helps to neutralize the bacteria that cause that putrid pit smell.
- Well-loved brand known for creating quality natural products.
- Contains bacteria-neutralizing probiotics.
- Wide variety of fragrance options, including an unscented option.
- Some users complained of dark stains on skin and clothing that were difficult to remove.
|Net weight||2.65 ounces (75 grams)|
|Scents||Coconut & Vanilla, Cucumber & Mint, Lavender & Rose, Unscented|
TBH Kids Unscented Stick Deodorant
Best Fragrance-Free Deodorant for Kids
Strong scents can be overwhelming for some children. And many schools and other environments have incorporated a policy banning fragrances due to allergies and sensitivities. So this fragrance-free, natural deodorant for kids is a good option.
TBH uses charcoal and arrowroot powder to gently absorb moisture and draw out toxins. It has a coconut oil base that gets rid of odor-causing bacteria and softens skin. Rather than hiding body odor behind another fragrance, it keeps kids smelling fresh with no additional scent required.
Because this formula is made with coconut oil, it can be a little hard or dry at times. TBH recommends warming the stick on the skin (or rubbing fingertips on the surface) to soften it slightly before use.
- Very affordable compared to other natural options.
- Uses simple, all-natural ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any extra fragrances.
- Often requires some warming up before use.
|Net weight||2 ounces (57 grams)|
Pretty Frank Natural Deodorant Stick
Best Stick Deodorant for Kids
Pretty Frank’s unscented deodorant is a natural deodorant designed to target armpit stink on people of all ages and genders.
Its active ingredients are magnesium hydroxide and zinc, which neutralize odors before they begin. It also includes organic arrowroot to absorb sweat, keeping armpits dry and comfortable.
Pretty Frank deodorant comes in a variety of unique scents such as Woodlands and Charcoal Seaside. We love that there’s an unscented version, which is acceptable for use in fragrance-free environments.
- Comes in a larger size than most other deodorants for kids.
- Vegan formula uses only ingredients that are safe enough to eat.
- Goes on more smoothly than many other natural deodorants.
- May leave a white residue on skin.
|Net weight||2.7 ounces (77 grams)|
|Scents||Unscented, Charcoal Seaside, Coconut Lime, Jasmine, Lavender, Orange Vanilla, Woodlands|
Mona Natural Deodorant for Kids — Sensitive Skin
Best Kids’ Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
If your child has sensitive skin and is likely to break out from any product applied under their arms, you should check out MONA’s 100 percent natural deodorant. This deodorant is specifically formulated to be gentle on kids’ skin.
It is made without irritants that are used in so many other deodorants. Instead, it uses magnesium oxide and zinc oxide — which are powerful but gentle natural deodorizers — and a variety of other plant-based ingredients.
MONA’s deodorant is available in four options: honeydew, vanilla spice, orange, and unscented.
- Formulated especially for sensitive skin.
- Lasts 24 hours.
- Doesn’t stain clothing.
- Doesn’t go on as smoothly as some other deodorants.
- Dries out quickly.
|Net weight||1.76 ounces (50 grams)|
|Scents||Honeydew, Vanilla Spice, Orange|
Keep It Kind Fresh Kidz Natural Roll-On Deodorant
Best Roll-On Deodorant for Kids
Fresh Kidz Deodorant is an all-natural deodorant that comes in a roll-on tube.
This scented version can be used for boys. It glides on smoothly and keeps body odor in check throughout the day, regardless of how active your little stink bomb is. However, some young users don’t like the wet feeling after application.
Fresh Kidz deodorants are also available in a variety of other scents specific to boys or girls.
- Roll-on style is easy to use, perfect for younger kids.
- Users claim it works great and lasts all day.
- Takes a little time to dry after use and can get clothing wet.
|Net weight||1.86 ounces (53 grams)|
|Scents||Fresh Kidz Blue Boys and Girls Purple|
Truly's Organic Deodorant for Kids
Best Cream Deodorant for Kids
Coconut oil, powdered sugar, baking soda — sounds like startings of a sweet recipe, right? But Truly’s combined these ingredients with beeswax to create what many refer to as a “miracle product.”
This unique cream deodorant softens underarms while combating body odor. The soft formula comes in a small tub and looks like a standard skin lotion. To use, have your child rub a small amount into both armpits to stay fresh all day.
- Uses only four, all-natural ingredients.
- Softens skin while deodorizing.
- Non-staining formula keeps clothing clean.
- Some users don’t like the coconut smell.
- A small percentage of users broke out in a rash after using.
|Net weight||2.5 ounces (71 grams)|
Fresh Monster Gummy Burst Natural Deodorant for Kids
Best Scented Deodorant for Kids
If you’ve always wished your kids were sweeter, Fresh Monster’s deodorant will help you achieve that. Well, they’ll smell sweeter at least. With a hint of gummy bear fragrance, this deodorant will make you want to spend more time with your kids, regardless of their disposition.
Fresh Kids glides on smoothly and lasts all day. This soft, gentle, hypoallergenic formula was designed by two moms on a mission to create toxin-free products for kids. The plant-based ingredients are vegan, cruelty-free, and made in the U.S.
- Sweet, fresh-smelling scent.
- Hypoallergenic formula for sensitive skin
- Made in the U.S. with high-quality products.
- Pricey for a smaller-sized product.
- Some users claim it smells too strong.
|Net weight||1.76 ounces (50 grams)|
Grownish Sport A Natural Deodorant
Best Sports Deodorant for Kids
Marketed for active boys, this sports deodorant was created to keep kids fresh and dry for 24 hours.
This deodorant is free of aluminum, parabens, talc, and other harmful ingredients. Users claim it works best for athletic boys 8 to 13 years old.
Grownish also has a formula designed specifically for girls. Although it’s not labeled as a sports deodorant, it seems to work just as well as the boys’ sports version.
- Lasts for 24 hours.
- Free of aluminum, parabens, talc, phthalates.
- Great for kids with active lifestyles.
- Formula stays soft and doesn’t dry out over time.
- Some users don’t like the scent.
- Doesn’t include a sports version for girls.
|Net weight||2.5 ounces (75 grams)|
|Scents||Cool Water + Amber, Honey Pear + Hibiscus|
Tom's of Maine Antiperspirant Deodorant
Best Antiperspirant Deodorant for Kids
Antiperspirants contain aluminum salts, which prevent you from releasing sweat. Aluminum has become a controversial ingredient, one most people prefer to avoid using on their children. This is why there are no antiperspirant products marketed specifically for children.
However, for some children, deodorant just doesn’t seem to cut it, so a dryer alternative is necessary.
Tom’s of Maine’s antiperspirant, although not marketed for children due to its use of aluminum (albeit a more gentle form of aluminum), is a more natural antiperspirant than others.
This product is free of silicone, dyes, parabens, artificial fragrances, phthalates, artificial colors, and many other harmful ingredients. It keeps even the nastiest pits fresh and dry throughout the day.
- Great for kids who sweat a lot.
- Uses many natural ingredients.
- Comes in a variety of scents.
- Contains aluminum.
- Some users complain that it stains armpits and clothing.
|Net weight||2.25 ounces (64 grams)|
|Scents||Fresh Meadow, Coconut Lavender|
|Tom’s Wicked Cool! Natural Deodorant for Kids||Best Value Deodorant||1.6 oz (45.3 grams)||Stick||Freestyle, Summer Fresh|
|Native Natural Stick Deodorant||Best Natural Deodorant||2.65 oz (75 grams)||Stick||4 scents|
|TBH Kids Unscented Stick Deodorant||Best Fragrance-Free Deodorant||2 oz (57 grams)||Stick||Unscented|
|Pretty Frank Natural Deodorant Stick||Best Stick Deodorant||2.7 oz (77 grams)||Stick||10 scents|
|Mona Natural Deodorant for Kids — Sensitive Skin||Best for Sensitive Skin||1.76 oz (50 grams)||Stick||Honeydew, Vanilla Spice, Orange|
|Keep It Kind Fresh Kidz Natural||Best Roll-On Deodorant||1.86 oz (53 grams)||Roll-on||Fresh Kidz “Blue” Boys and Girls Purple|
|Truly’s Organic Deodorant for Kids||Best Cream Deodorant||2.5 oz (71 grams)||Cream||Unscented|
|Fresh Monster Gummy Burst Natural Deodorant||Best Scented Deodorant||1.76 oz (50 grams)||Roll-on||Gummy Burst|
|Grownish Sport A Natural Deodorant||Best Sports Deodorant||2.5 oz (75 grams)||Stick||2 scents|
|Tom’s of Maine Antiperspirant Deodorant||Best Antiperspirant Deodorant||2.25 oz (64 grams)||Stick||2 scents|
How to Choose the Best Deodorant for Kids
When it comes time to purchase deodorant for your kids, you’ll want to consider the following:
FAQs About Deodorants for Kids
Here are the answers to some common questions about deodorants for kids.
The Bottom Line
When your child starts to stink, look for an all-natural deodorant designed for kids. Avoid toxins, harmful chemicals, and irritants such as aluminum, parabens, and phthalates. Find the formula that best fits your child’s lifestyle, and teach them to use it regularly.
Allow for some time before giving up on natural deodorant, and if one brand isn’t a good match, try another. When you find the best deodorant for your kid, your nose will thank you. And so will other family members, your child’s teachers, their friends, your neighbors, your pets, and anyone else they happen to come in contact with.