- Meaning: Evan means “God is gracious.”
- Gender: Evan is most popular as a male name, but it is also frequently used as a female name.
- Origin: Evan originates from the Welsh translation of John, or Ioannes, a popular Christian name that appears in the Bible.
- Pronunciation: Evan is pronounced “ehv-IN.”
- Popularity: The name Evan has maintained a high level of popularity in the United States and is in the top 125 baby boy names.
- Nicknames: Ev, Eve, Evi, Evie, Evy, and Van.
- Variations: Iban, Ieuan, Ifan, Ioannis, and Ivan.
- Namesakes: Evan Rachel Wood, actress.
What Does Evan Mean?
Evan is an old name that connects to several possible meanings. The Welsh meaning “God is gracious” is one of the most recognized ones. In addition, the Welsh boy name Evan is a translation of John, which in turn comes from the Hebrew name Yəhôḥānān, meaning “Yahweh is gracious” (1).
In some contexts, Evan is a shortened version of the Greek boy name Evangelos or Evander, which means “good messenger” and “good man,” respectively. The name Evan also has meaning in Gaelic, where it refers to youth or a young warrior. Furthermore, Evan appears in Old English as a word for “king.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Evan?
The origin of the name Evan depends on whether the name is contextually coming from Welsh, Greek, or Old English. The Welsh origin of the name Evan is probably the most culturally dominant today.
Evan is the Welsh variation of John, which is itself the Anglicized form of the Hebrew boy name Yəhôḥānān. Yəhôḥānān was translated to Greek as Ioannes, which then became the Latin form Joannes and the Old English Iohannes, and eventually the contemporary English John (2).
Since Ioannes/John is a prevalent name in the Christian Bible, the name typically gains popularity in any region where Christianity is dominant. Welsh people translated the name to either Ieuan or Efan, which later evolved into Evan.
How Popular Is the Name Evan?
For the past hundred years, the name Evan has seen relatively consistent popularity in the United States, usually remaining within the top 500 names each year.
The name saw a significant spike in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when it became one of the 50 most popular boy names in the country (3).
Today, the name Evan is still favored, maintaining a position in the top 125 popular baby names in the United States.
How Do I Pronounce Evan?
Evan is pronounced, “ehv-IN.” When pronounced, it should rhyme with the word “heaven.”
Is Evan a Boy or Girl Name?
Evan is a suitable name for any gender. The name is statistically more popular for boys, but it has become increasingly more accepted as a feminine name. One famous example would be the actress Evan Rachel Wood.
Variations of Evan
Since Evan belongs to the large family of names related to John/Ioannes, there are many variations from which to choose. Possible variations of Evan include:
- Efan (Welsh)
- Ian (English)
- Iain (Scottish Gaelic)
- Iban (Basque)
- Ieuan (Welsh)
- Ifan (Welsh)
- Ioannis (Greek)
- Ivan (Slavic)
- Giovanni (Italian)
- Vanya (Russian)
Nicknames for Evan
Evan is already a relatively short name, but some possible nicknames can be used. Possible nicknames for Evan include:
Similar Names to Evan
If you like the name Evan, you may also enjoy similar names of Welsh, Irish, and Scottish origin. Similar names to Evan include:
Middle Names for Evan
Middle names for Evan can either match the older European origins or be more contemporary as a way to modernize the whole name. Some middle name ideas for Evan include:
Sibling Names for Evan
Evan is a classic name, so finding good sibling names for Evan shouldn’t be that hard. Looking for common Welsh names or names that match the aesthetic qualities of the name Evan.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Evan
There are various famous people named Evan. One of the most well-known people named Evan is the actress Evan Rachel Wood. Other famous people named Evan include:
- Evan Baylis: American football player.
- Evan Brown: American football player.
- Evan Chambers: Musician.
- Evan Dara: Novelist.
- Evan Dunham: Mixed martial artist.
- Evan Evagora: Australian actor.
- Evan Evans: Film score composer.
- Evan Gattis: Major League Baseball player.
- Evan Glodell: Director, writer, and actor.
- Evan Kim: Actor.
- Evan Lysacek: Figure skater.
- Evan Narcisse: Writer.
- Evan Peters: Actor.
- Evan Spiegel: Snapchat founder.
- Evan Williams: Former Twitter CEO.
Evan in Popular Culture
There are several fictional characters named Evan. Examples of popular culture characters named Evan include:
- Evan Barnet: Character in the film Little Rascals.
- Evan Baxter: Character in the film Evan Almighty.
- Evan Chambers: Character in the television series Greek.
- Evan Drake: Character in the television series Cheers.
- Evan Hansen: Titular character in the Broadway musical and film adaptation Dear Evan Hansen.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the name Evan.
Does Evan Mean Warrior?
Is Evan Short for Anything?
Evan can be short for the Greek names Evangelos or Evander. Evangelos means “good messenger,” and Evander means “good man.”
Are Evan and Ivan the Same Name?
Evan and Ivan are both versions of the name John. They both mean “God is gracious.” Evan is the Welsh version of the name, while Slavic cultures frequently use Ivan.
Is the Name Evan in the Bible?
Although the actual name Evan isn’t used in most translations of the Bible, the name comes from John, which appears quite often in the New Testament. Examples of people named John in the New Testament include John the Baptist and John the Evangelist.