- Meaning: Hailey means hayfield or hay clearing.
- Gender: Hailey is usually used as a feminine name, but it can also be a masculine name.
- Origin: Hailey comes from an Old English surname.
- Pronunciation: “HAY-lee”
- Popularity: Hailey is a very popular name. As of today, it is in the top 100 most popular baby names for girls in the United States.
- Nicknames: Ailey, Hai, Hailes, Hails, Hailz, Hales, Halo, Hay, Hayes, Hazy, Healey, Healie, Lee, Leigh.
- Variations: Haeley, Hailea, Hailee, Haily, Haley, Hali, Halie, Halle, Halley, Hayleigh, Hayley, Hayly.
- Namesake: Hailey Bieber, Haley Carter, Haylie Duff.
- What Does Hailey Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Hailey?
- How Popular Is the Name Hailey?
- How Do I Pronounce Hailey?
- Is Hailey a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Hailey
- Nicknames for Hailey
- Similar Names to Hailey
- Middle Names for Hailey
- Sibling Names for Hailey
- Famous People Named Hailey
- Hailey in Popular Culture
- Hailey FAQs
What Does Hailey Mean?
Hailey is a classic name with a modern feel. The name derives from an English surname, traditionally spelled as Haley. The name Hailey means hayfield. It comes from Old English and breaks down into two words.
The first Old English word is Heg, which means grass or hay. The second Old English word is Leah, which means meadow or field. Put together these words, and the name becomes hayfield or Hay’s meadow.
Hailey, or Haley, also traces to an Irish surname. In the Irish context, Hailey relates to the Gaelic word “ealadhach,” which means ingenious.
What Is the Origin of the Name Hailey?
Hailey comes from the English surname Haley. Historians have found records for the last name Haley going back to the mid-13th century (1). It first appeared as “de Hayleg.” The Anglo-Saxon last name has Old English origins, meaning hayfield or hay clearing.
The surname could relate to a particular location, so it probably belonged to landowning families. However, it could also reference the features of an area where someone lived.
It is unclear when people began using Haley and other spelling variations as a first name, but by the late twentieth century, it had become quite a popular name in the United States.
How Popular Is the Name Hailey?
Hailey is a popular name in the United States. It has the most popularity as a girl’s name. For over two decades, Hailey has been one of the top 100 most popular baby names in the United States (2).
The name Hailey first became notable in the United States in the 1980s, when it reached the top 1,000 most popular baby girl names. Since then, Hailey has been rapidly rising in popularity. The name’s most recent peak in popularity was in 2010 when it was the nineteenth most popular name in the country.
How Do I Pronounce Hailey?
Hailey is pronounced “HAY-lee.”
Is Hailey a Boy or Girl Name?
As of today, Hailey is far more popular as a name for girls than as a name for boys. Because the name was originally a surname, Hailey can function as a gender-neutral name.
Variations of Hailey
Many variations of the name Hailey exist. Like Hailey, most of these are spelling variations of the Old English surname Haley. Examples include:
- Haeley (English)
- Hailea (English)
- Hailee (English)
- Haily (English)
- Haley (English)
- Hali (English)
- Halie (English)
- Halle (English)
- Halley (Scandinavian)
- Hayleigh (English)
- Hayley (English)
- Hayly (English)
Nicknames for Hailey
You also have several options for nicknames for Hailey. Some nickname ideas include:
Similar Names to Hailey
To find similar names to Hailey, look for other names with the same aesthetic qualities. Examples of similar names to Hailey include:
Middle Names for Hailey
If you want your baby to have a middle name, various middle names go well with Hailey. The name Hailey pairs well with simple, classic names. Middle name ideas for Hailey include:
Sibling Names for Hailey
You may already be planning your next pregnancy. If so, consider other names that were originally surnames for your baby’s siblings.
Names for a Sister
Names for a Brother
Famous People Named Hailey
Several famous people throughout history received the name Hailey or a variation of it. One example is the model and socialite Hailey Bieber. Other famous people named Hailey or Haley include:
- Hailee Steinfeld: Actress and singer.
- Haley Bishop: American actress.
- Haley Carter: American soccer player.
- Haley de Jong: Canadian gymnast.
- Haley Hudson: American actress.
- Haley Joel Osment: American actor.
- Haley Kalil: American model.
- Haley Lu Richardson: American actress.
- Hayley Atwell: British actress.
- Hayley Kiyoko: American singer and actress.
- Haylie Duff: American actress and singer.
Hailey in Popular Culture
Fictional work also makes use of the name Hailey frequently. Some examples of Hailey in popular culture include:
- Hayley Cropper: Character in television series “Coronation Street.”
- Hailey Daily: Character in “PAW Patrol.”
- Haley Dunphy: Main character in “Modern Family.”
- Hayley Long: Character in “American Dragon: Jake Long.”
- Hayley Marshall: Character in “The Originals.”
- Hailey Nichol: Character in “The O.C.”
- Hayley Smith: Character in “American Dad!”
- Hailey Upton: Character in “Chicago P.D.”
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Hailey.
Is Hailey a Biblical Name?
Hailey is not a Biblical name. Hailey comes from an Old English surname, sometimes spelled Haley or Hayley. Since there are strong Christian influences in English-speaking cultures, an English name like Hailey may be more prevalent in Christian communities.
What Is the Correct Way To Spell Hailey?
There is no technically correct way to spell the name Hailey. It comes from a very old surname and there have been many spellings used. Some of the most common spellings are Haley, Hailey, Hayley, and Haylee.
Is Hailey an Irish Name?
The name Hailey can be traced to an Irish surname. Although Hailey—also spelled Haley—comes from the English surname, Hailey is also an Irish surname.