- Meaning: Landon was originally a place name that meant “long hill .”Landon is now considered a proper, classy, and creative name.
- Gender: Landon has primarily been a masculine name throughout history. Recently, it has been considered more gender-neutral or unisex and used for boys and girls.
- Origin: Landon was originally a place name meaning “long hill .”The name became a common Old English surname before making the switch to a popular given name.
- Pronunciation: “LAN-din.” The name rhymes with the words “abandon” or “stand-in.”
- Popularity: Landon is a very popular name, as it has not fallen out of the top 100 most popular names since 2003. In 2021, Landon was the country’s 73rd most popular name for boys.
- Nicknames: Anders, Ando, Donny, Lala, Lan, Land, Landers, Lando, Landy, Lannie, Lanny.
- Variations: Landen (English), Landyn (English), Langdon (Old English), Lanny (English).
- Namesakes: Landon Donovan (American soccer player); Landon Liboiron (Canadian actor); Landon Curt Noll (American computer scientist).
- What Does Landon Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Landon?
- How Popular Is the Name Landon?
- How Do I Pronounce Landon?
- Is Landon a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Landon
- Nicknames for Landon
- Similar Names to Landon
- Middle Names for Landon
- Sibling Names for Landon
- Famous People Named Landon
- Landon in Popular Culture
- Landon FAQs
What Does Landon Mean?
While the name means “long hill,” the switch from a place name to a given name means Landon has different associations. Landon is now considered a proper, classy, and creative name.
What Is the Origin of the Name Landon?
Landon was originally a place name that meant “long hill.” People gave landmark locations or areas the name Landon to denote a long hill at the site. The term became a common Old English surname and first name in western Europe.
The popularization of the name Landon in the United States may be due to the popularity of Michael Landon, a famous American TV star from 1959 to 1989. Michael Landon played some of the most well-known characters on television at the time, such as Charles Ingalls on the show “Little House on the Prairie” (1).
How Popular Is the Name Landon?
The name Landon first gained popularity in the United States in the 1960s. Landon entered the top 1000 most popular names for boys in the United States in 1962 at the rank of #995.
Since 1962, Landon has steadily grown in popularity. In 1978, the name entered the top 500 at #476. The term first entered the top 100 in 2003 at the rank of #97.
Landon is a very popular name, as it has not fallen out of the top 100 most popular names since 2003. In 2021, Landon was the country’s 73rd most popular name for boys (2).
How Do I Pronounce Landon?
Landon is pronounced, “LAN-din.” The name rhymes with the words “abandon” or “stand-in.”
Is Landon a Boy or Girl Name?
Landon has primarily been a masculine name throughout history. In recent years, it has been considered more gender-neutral or unisex and has been used for boys and girls.
Variations of Landon
As an Old English name dating back to the 11th century, there have been a few variations on Landon. These include:
- Landen (English)
- Landyn (English)
- Langdon (Old English)
- Lanny (English)
Nicknames for Landon
These are a few great, catchy nicknames for people named Landon:
Similar Names to Landon
Many of these similar names to Landon share their Old English origin:
Middle Names for Landon
As a classy and creative name, the best middle names for Landon share in that spirit. Such as:
Sibling Names for Landon
Most of these Old English sibling names are gender-neutral or unisex, so they work well for any sibling. For example:
Famous People Named Landon
While many successful and popular people named Landon, these are a few of the most famous:
- Landon Austin: American singer and songwriter.
- Landon Barker: American actor and reality TV star.
- Landon Cider: American drag king and winner of the third season of the reality competition series “Dragula.”
- Landon Donovan: American soccer player.
- Landon Liboiron: Canadian actor well-known for his role in the TV show “Degrassi: The Next Generation.”
- Landon Curt Noll: American computer scientist who discovered the 26th Mersenne prime.
Landon in Popular Culture
Landon has regularly been a name for fictional characters in pop culture. These include:
- Landon: a character in the film series “Planet of the Apes.”
- Landon Carter: a character in the book and film adaptation “A Walk to Remember.”
- Landon Gibson: a character in the “After” book series.
- Landon Kirby: one of the main characters on the TV series “Legacies,” a spin-off of the hit series “The Vampire Diaries.”
- Landon Ricketts: a character in the video game series “Red Dead Redemption.”
Here are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the name Landon.