- Meaning: Thomas means “twin.” In the but the New Testament, the biblical figure was one of the original 12 apostles of Jesus.
- Gender: Thomas is most commonly a name that has been given to boys. However, there are female iterations, such as Thomasina or Thomasine.
- Origin: In the Hebrew form, it was known as “ta’om.” From there, the Greeks transliterated its original Hebrew form to make Θωμᾶς before coming the English variant that we know today
- Pronunciation: The most common pronunciation of the English name Thomas is “TAH-mus.” It can be said with a strong “z” sound at the end as well, such as “TAH-muz.”
- Popularity: Thomas is a very popular name.From its biblical origins to the many historical figures who took on the name, such as Thomas Jefferson. Thomas has only grown in popularity through the Medieval age to now. It’s been a very popular name across the globe, most notably peaking at the top 15 in the UK and top 10 in the US since the 1900s.
- Nicknames: Tom, Tom Boy, TomTom, Tomm, Tommie, Tommy.
- Variations: Doma, Tāngmǔ, Tamás, Tâm (Tom), Ta’om, Thoma, Thom, Tomaz, Tomáisín, Tomàs, Tomass, Tomasz, Toma, Tomasino, Tomaso, Tómas, Tomé, Tommaso, Tomu, Tomos, Tuōmǎsī, Tomáš, Tomas, Tōmasu, Toomas, Tuomas, Twm, Хома (Homa), Фома.
- Namesakes: Tom Hanks, American actor, writer, and director.
- Thomas Name Meaning
- What Does the Name Thomas Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Thomas?
- How Popular Is the Name Thomas?
- How Do I Pronounce Thomas?
- Is Thomas a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Thomas
- Nicknames for Thomas
- Similar Names to Thomas
- Middle Names for Thomas
- Sibling Names for Thomas
- Famous People Named Thomas
- Thomas in Popular Culture
- Thomas FAQs
Thomas Name Meaning
Thomas is a biblical name with a great deal of history behind it. Read on to find out more about the name.
What Does the Name Thomas Mean?
Thomas is originally a name with the meaning “twin.” It came from the Hebrew Bible and was one of the original 12 apostles of Jesus.
What Is the Origin of the Name Thomas?
From its original form of “ta’om” or “Taoma” was the masculine form of the word and its name became תאם (Tôm). This was also of Semitic origin and meant “twin.” From there, the Greek translation bridged the name variants into Tom or Thomas.
This was its current English form when the New Testament of the bible was written. In that version, St. Thomas was one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus.
How Popular Is the Name Thomas?
From its biblical origins, many historical figures took on the name, such as Thomas Jefferson. From there, Thomas grew in popularity through the Medieval age to now.
In the UK, it’s been a very popular name for boys since the 1900s. It’s enjoyed just as much popularity in the US, peaking at the top 10 and ranking among the top 50 at present (2).
How Do I Pronounce Thomas?
The most common pronunciation of the English name Thomas is “TAH-mus.” It can also be said with a stronger “z” sound at the end, rather than the “s” such as “TAH-muz.”
Is Thomas a Boy or Girl Name?
Thomas is most commonly a name that has been given to boys. There are female iterations, though, such as Thomasina or Thomasine.
Variations of Thomas
Thomas is a popular name with biblical ties that has spread between nations, beliefs, and cultures. Some popular variations include:
- Tâm (Tom)
- Хома (Homa)
Nicknames for Thomas
But for how many variations there are, only a few nicknames exist in comparison.
Some of those nicknames include:
- Tom Boy
Similar Names to Thomas
There are also a handful of names similar to Thomas, some of which are biblical while others are not.
Middle Names for Thomas
Thomas is often a middle name itself, but some great pairings with it as a first name include:
Sibling Names for Thomas
Many names go great alongside Thomas for a sibling, whether boy or girl. Some of them include:
For a brother:
And for a sister:
Famous People Named Thomas
There are also many famous people named Thomas. The first that comes to mind is Tom Holland, the British actor known for playing Spider-Man. Some other notable people include:
- Tom Brady: American football player and team owner.
- Tom Cruise: American actor and film producer.
- Thomas Edison: American inventor and businessman.
- Tom Hanks: American actor, writer, director, and producer.
- Thomas Jefferson: American founding father.
- Tom Petty: American rock musician.
Thomas in Popular Culture
Today, many Thomass are characters in pop culture as well.
You might recognize these fictional characters:
- Thomas the Train: Character from the children’s show of the same name.
- Thomas O’Malley: Character from the Disney cartoon The Aristocats.
- Tom Cat: Character from the cartoon Tom and Jerry.
- Tom Sawyer: Recurring character from a tale written by Mark Twain.
- Thomas Magnum: The main character from the television series Magnum P.I.
There might be some other questions in your mind about the name Thomas. Let’s look at some.