- Meaning: Noah primarily means “rest,” though some beliefs have it that it means “to comfort.” If it is given to a girl, it can also mean “motion.”
- Gender: Noah is traditionally a boy’s name, though “Noa” is a popular girl’s name as well.
- Origin: Noah has Babylonian and Hebrew origins. It is a biblical name taken from the figure, Noah, who survived the flood with a boat full of animals.
- Pronunciation: Noah is pronounced “No-uh” or “No-ah.”
- Popularity: Noah is one of the most popular names in the world. It has been the #1 and #2 name for boys in the United States as well as Australia in the last ten years.
- Nicknames: Noe, Nory, Noh.
- Variations: Nūḥ, Noy, Nooh, Ноа (Noа), Noè, Noe, Noë, Noa, Nooa, Noé, Noe, Noé, Noakh, Nooh, Noé, Nói, Nuh, Naoi, Noè, Noass, Nojus, Noé, Noe, Ной (Noy), Nuux (Nuh), Noé, Noje (Noye), Novahu, Nuh, Noa, Nagan.
- Namesakes: Noah Wiley, American film and television actor. Trevor Noah, South African comedian, journalist, and news anchor.
- What Does the Name Noah Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Noah?
- How Popular Is the Name Noah?
- How Do I Pronounce Noah?
- Is Noah a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Noah
- Nicknames for Noah
- Similar Names to Noah
- Middle Names for Noah
- Sibling Names for Noah
- Famous People Named Noah
- Noah in Popular Culture
- Noah FAQs
What Does the Name Noah Mean?
The name Noah means “rest” or “relaxation.” It is derived from the Hebrew word “Noach,” which has the same meaning.
Noah is typically given to boys as a first name, though it is also commonly found as a last name. There is also a female version of the name, spelled Noa or Noah, and it means “Motion.”
In the Old Testament, the biblical figure named Noah built a large boat loaded with animals to survive a massive flood (1). “Rest” comes from the result of his success.
What Is the Origin of the Name Noah?
Noah, like many names, can be traced back to the Old Testament. It is of Babylonian origin, derived from the word “Nukhu,” which also means “rest.”
There are alternative theories for the origin of the name, however. Another belief is that Noah comes from the Hebrew word “Nahum,” which means “to comfort.”
How Popular Is the Name Noah?
The name Noah had a heyday in the mid-2010s. It was the number 1 name for male babies for two years in the United States. And in Australia, it was in the top five for the same period.
In 2020, Noah only fell back one spot to number 2 for most popular boy names and even was in the top-900 girl names (2). That means that over 18k boys were named Noah in 2020 alone; that’s 1 in every 100 boys—impressive.
How Do I Pronounce Noah?
Noah is pronounced “No-uh.” Though it is sometimes pronounced with less of a ‘u’ sound in the second syllable, like “No-ah.”
Is Noah a Boy or Girl Name?
Noah is typically given to boys as a first name, though it is also the last name. There are feminine variations of Noah as well, such as Noa.
Variations of Noah
For such a classic name, there are endless variations on Noah.
Other iterations include:
- Ноа (Noа)
- Ной (Noy)
- Nuux (Nuh)
- Noje (Noye)
Though these names are recognizable, none are quite as popular as the Noah we know.
Nicknames for Noah
For the number of variations on Noah’s name, nicknames are surprisingly few and far between. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t make up a fun nickname.
Some of the few include:
Similar Names to Noah
There are also a handful of names that are similar to Noah, many of which are also biblical names.
Some of those similar names include:
Middle Names for Noah
Noah is often paired with a middle name when referring to someone and acts almost like one long first name. Some of the most common first/middle pairings with Noah include:
You can pair the name with any from the sections prior as well. Noah sounds good with most names.
Sibling Names for Noah
Similar to middle names, many names go great alongside Noah.
For a brother:
And for a sister:
Famous People Named Noah
There are also many famous people named Noah. Right away, one likely thinks of Noah Wylie, the American actor from the television series ER. But there are more.
Some of the most famous Noah’s include:
- Noah Abrams: English footballer.
- Noah Adams: American journalist.
- Noah Centineo: American actor, best known for his portrayal of Peter Kavinsky in the Netflix series “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.”
- Noah Cyrus: American singer, child of Billy Ray Cyrus, and sibling to Miley Cyrus…
- Noah Syndergaard: American baseball player.
Noah in Popular Culture
Today, many Noahs are used as characters in pop culture.
You might recognize:
- Noah Bennet: Fictional character in the TV drama series Heroes.
- Noah Bennett: Fictional character on the television series Passions.
- Noah Drake: Character on the soap opera General Hospital.
- Noah Foster: A character on the television series based on the movie Scream.
- Noah van Helsing: Fictional character in the Marvel Comics universe.
- Noah: Character in cartoon series Total Drama.
There might be some other questions in your mind about the name Noah. Let’s look at some.