- Meaning: Lillian means lily, as in the flower.
- Gender: Lillian is usually considered a girl’s name, but it is occasionally used as a boy’s name.
- Origin: Lillian was derived from Latin.
- Pronunciation: Lillian is pronounced LIL-ee-an.
- Popularity: Lillian is very popular in the United States. It has been popular throughout most of the 20 and 21 centuries, but it is currently decreasing in popularity.
- Nicknames: Ann, Leona, Lil, Lils, Lily bug, and Tiger Lily.
- Variations: Liliana, Lilias, Lilija, Lillie, and Lilyann.
- Namesakes: Lillian Armstrong, Lillian Hellman, Lillian Wald.
- What Does Lillian Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Lillian?
- How Popular is the Name Lillian?
- How Do I Pronounce Lillian?
- Is Lillian a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Lillian
- Nicknames for Lillian
- Similar Names to Lillian
- Middle Names for Lillian
- Sibling Names for Lillian
- Famous People Named Lillian
- Lillians in Pop Culture
What Does Lillian Mean?
Lillian means lily. Lilies are flowers known for their elegance and beauty.
What is the Origin of the Name Lillian?
Lillian has English origins. It is derived from the Latin word that means lily, a flower.
How Popular is the Name Lillian?
In the 1900s, the name Lillian was very popular. From 1900 to 1924, it fell within the top 25 female names.
Its popularity decreased for years and finally climbed back to the top 100 names in 2002. The name’s popularity has begun to drop once again. However, it is still very popular at present. Lillian ranks at number 51 of the most popular female names (1).
How Do I Pronounce Lillian?
You should pronounce Lillian as “LIL-ee-an.”
Is Lillian a Boy or Girl Name?
Lillian is mainly used for girls. Although it has been a popular girl’s name in the United States for most of the past century, it only fell within the top 500 boys’ names one time.
In French, the slight variation, Lilian, is used as a boy’s name.
Variations of Lillian
Perhaps you like Lillian, but you want to use a name that highlights your ethnicity or a name that is just slightly different There are several variations, such as:
- Lilia (Latin)
- Liliana (Spanish, Italian)
- Liliane (French)
- Lilias (Scottish)
- Lillie (Danish, German, and Finnish)
- Lilija (Latvian)
- Lilyann (Latin)
- Lilyanne (Latin)
Nicknames for Lillian
Everyone seems to have a nickname these days. If you name your daughter Lillian, she may decide to call herself:
Similar Names to Lillian
Does something about the name Lillian not quite fit right? Try these names that are similar to the meaning, origin, or sound of Lillian:
Middle Names for Lillian
Choosing a middle name is not an easy task. Some that sound beautiful when paired with Lillian are:
Sibling Names for Lillian
Do you plan to have another child in the future? Luckily, many sibling names pair beautifully with Lillian, like:
Famous People Named Lillian
It is always comforting to know that your daughter can look up to role models who share her name. Here are some famous people named Lillian:
- Lillian Armstrong: American jazz musician.
- Lillian Davies: Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Halland
- Lillian Gilbreth: American psychologist, educator, and industrial engineer.
- Lillian Gish: American silent film actress.
- Lillian Hellman: American playwright.
- Lillian Roth: American singer and actress.
- Lillian Roxon: Australian journalist and author.
- Lillian Russell: American actress and singer.
- Lillian Wald: American author, humanitarian, and nurse.
Lillians in Pop Culture
If you name your daughter Lillian, she will share her name with these characters in pop culture.
- Lillian: Character in the movie Shrek
- Lillian Aldrin (Lily): Character in the “How I Met Your Mother” TV series.
- Lillian DeVille (Lil): Character in the “Rugrats” TV series.
- Lillian Luthor: Character in DC Comics.
- Lillian Salvatore (Lily): Character in “The Vampire Diaries” TV series.
- Lillian Truscott (Lily): Character in the “Hannah Montana” TV series.
Do you want to learn a few bonus facts about Lillian? Below are some common uses related to the name.