- Meaning: The name “Abigail” comes from the Hebrew word meaning “cause of joy” or “father’s joy.”
- Gender: Abigail is a name mainly given to girls. There are male equivalents, such as “Abbot,” “Abel,” or “Abelardo,” though they are less common.
- Origin: Abigail comes from the Hebrew word and name “ אֲבִיגַיִל / אֲבִיגָיִל” or “Avigail.”
- Pronunciation: Abigail is most commonly pronounced as “AB-ih-gayl,” with a soft “i” in the middle. The other way to say it is with a longer “e” sound in the middle syllable, such as “AB-ee-gayl.”
- Popularity: Abigail is a very popular name.
- Nicknames: Abbey, Abby, Abbi, Abbie, Abi, Abs, Aby, Gail, Gayle.
- Variations: Abagael, Abagail, Abagale, Abageal, Abagil, Abaigael, Abbegail, Abbegale, Abbigael, Abbigail, Abbigale, Abigel, Abigil, Abigael, Abigal, Abigale, Abigall, Abigayl, Abigayle, Avigail, Abbigayle, Abbygael, Abbygail, Abbygale, Abegail, Abegale, Abgail.
- Namesakes: Abigail Adams, wife and primary advisor to President John Adams.
- What Does Abigail Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Abigail?
- How Popular Is the Name Abigail?
- How Do I Pronounce Abigail?
- Is Abigail a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Abigail
- Nicknames for Abigail
- Similar Names to Abigail
- Middle Names for Abigail
- Sibling Names for Abigail
- Famous People Named Abigail
- Abigail in Popular Culture
- Abigail FAQs
What Does Abigail Mean?
The name “Abigail” comes from the Hebrew word meaning “cause of joy” or “father’s joy.” The Hebrew Bible described the biblical figure Abigail as an attractive, sharp, and loyal person.
Abigail nowadays is typically a girl’s name, as well as a popular last name that many people still take on to this day (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Abigail?
Abigail comes from the Hebrew girl’s name and word, “Avigail” or “ אֲבִיגַיִל / אֲבִיגָיִל.” Abigail was the beloved spouse of King David in the Book of Samuel.
Since then, it has been passed on and was popular during puritanical times. It has also moved in and out of popularity, but today it is a common first and last name.
How Popular Is the Name Abigail?
The name Abigail is very popular. For babies born in 2020, it was in the top 15 names given to girls. That same year, close to 8000 baby girls were given the name Abigail—that’s 1 in every 224 infant female babies.
How Do I Pronounce Abigail?
Abigail is most commonly pronounced as “AB-ih-gayl,” with a soft “i” in the middle. The other way to say it is with a longer “e” sound in the middle syllable, such as “AB-ee-gayl.”
Is Abigail a Boy or Girl Name?
Abigail is most commonly a name given to girls. The male equivalent of Abigail is “Abbot,” “Abel” or “Abelardo,” though far less common.
Variations of Abigail
For being a name with such a long history and cultural roots, there are only a few variations on the name Abigail. Some of them include:
Nicknames for Abigail
For how many variations the name Abigail has, there are plenty of known nicknames to go along with it. Some of those nicknames include:
Similar Names to Abigail
There are also a handful of names similar to Abigail. The following are some of those similar names:
Middle Names for Abigail
Abigail is a strong name, and the middle name can pair with some great secondary names. Some options include:
Sibling Names for Abigail
Many names go great alongside Abigail for a sibling, whether boy or girl. Some of them include:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Abigail
There are also many famous people named Abigail. Some of the most prominent include:
- Abigail Adams: Spouse and primary advisor to President John Adams.
- Abigail Breslin: American actress and musician.
- Abigail Disney: American documentary filmmaker, philanthropist, and social activist
- Abigail Spears: American tennis star.
- Abigail Spencer: American actress.
- Francis Abigail: Australian politician.
- Peter Abigail: FamousAustralian army officer.
- Robert Abigail: Dutch DJ.
Abigail in Popular Culture
Many characters in pop culture have taken the name Abigail over the years. From books to movies and video games, here are some of the most notable characters you might recognize:
- Abigaëlle: A character from the 2014 film Abigaëlle.
- Abigail: A antagonist character in the Final Fight series, as well as a character in the Street Fighter videogame series.
- Abby: A young vampire character in the movie Let Me In.
- Abigaille: A character in Giuseppe Verdi’s opera Nabucco.
- Dark Priest Abigail: Character in Japanese manga/anime series.
- Mother Abagail: A protagonist character in Stephen King’s novel/film The Stand.
- Abigail Anderson: A character in the videogame The Last of Us Part II.
There might be some other questions on your mind about the name Abigail. Let’s look at some of the most frequently asked questions and interesting tidbits concerning the name Abigail.