- Meaning: Lyla means “dark”, “night”, or “island girl.”
- Gender: Lyla is a girl’s name.
- Origin: Lyla is of Hebrew, Scottish, and Arabic origins.
- Pronunciation: “LIE-luh” or “LIE-lah”
- Popularity: Lyla is the 110th most popular baby girl name as of 2021.
- Nicknames: Lala, Lay, Lee, Leigh, Lee Lee, Leer, Lye, Lyre, Yaya, and Yoyo.
- Variations: Laila (Arabic), Leila (Hebrew and Arabic), Lila (Arabic), Lylah (Arabic), and Lyle (Scottish).
- Namesakes: Lila Downs, Lila Fenwick, Lila Karp, Lila Kedrova, Lyla Berg, and Lyla Rocco.
What Does Lyla Mean?
Lyla means “night” or “dark.” More in-depth meanings of the name Lyla can be “night beauty” or even “dark beauty.” The name Lyla is a shorter version of the Hebrew and Arabic name Delilah meaning “delicate.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Lyla?
Lyla is of Hebrew, Scottish, and Arabic origins. There are three etymology stories behind its origins.
Since the name comes from the Hebrew name Delilah, it makes sense that Lyla has the same Hebrew and biblical origins. Delilah is a character in the Bible featured in the Book of Judges. A strong man named Samson falls in love with Delilah. While they are together for a short time, Delilah betrays Samson. She allows the Philistine enemies to cut his hair so he would lose his bodily strength sourced from his long hair (1).
Lyle is a Scottish surname. Lyla is known as the feminine version that eventually became a given name. “An island” is the meaning behind the surname Lyle. Because of Lyla’s feminine roots from Lyle, the name can also mean “island girl” (2).
The name Lyla is also an Arabic name variation, Leila. This name means “night” which is one of the same meanings for Lyla.
How Popular Is the Name Lyla?
The name Lyla is a popular name, ranking in the 110th position on the Social Security Administration’s top 1,000 baby girl names list as of 2021. It entered the list in 1906 at the 946th position. In 1907, 1911, 1919, 1941, and 1944, it fell off the top 1,000 baby girl names list before returning to it the years following (3).
From 1946 to 2004, the name was below the top 1,000. Lyla re-entered the list in 2005 and has surged in popularity ever since.
How Do I Pronounce Lyla?
Pronounce Lyla by saying “LIE-luh.” You may also prefer to say Lyla as “LIE-lah.”
Is Lyla a Boy or Girl Name?
Lyla is a name for baby girls. This name is not on the Social Security Administration’s top baby boy names. The male version of Lyla is Lyle, which placed #937 on the boy names list in 2019. The name fell off the list in 2020 and has not returned yet.
Variations of Lyla
Lyla is a lovely name, but you may want to find a unique spelling. Here are variations of Lyla that we adore:
- Laila (Arabic)
- Leila (Hebrew and Arabic)
- Lila (Arabic)
- Lylah (Arabic)
- Lyle (Scottish)
Nicknames for Lyla
Lyla is a short enough given name to make spunky nicknames. These are the nicknames we love for Lyla:
- Lee Lee
Similar Names to Lyla
While Lyla is a name with a rhythmic aura, you may want to consider names like it to weigh your options. These are the similar names to Lyla that we hope you would enjoy:
Middle Names for Lyla
Since Lyla is a shorter name, it can go with just as short or even longer middle names. These are the middle names that we think synergize with the given name Lyla:
Sibling Names for Lyla
If you already have a child named Lyla, it’s now time to pick the perfect sibling name. Here are the sibling names we believe pair best with Lyla:
For a Brother
For a Sister
Famous People Named Lyla
Considering its surging popularity since the early 2000s, there are many famous people named Lyla or its variation, Lila. Here are the celebrities we wanted to highlight with this name:
- Lila Downs: Mexican singer.
- Lila Fenwick: United Nations official and American human rights activist and lawyer.
- Lila Karp: American activist and writer.
- Lila Kedrova: French actress
- Lyla Berg: Hawaiian politician.
- Lyla Rocco: Italian film actress.
Lyla in Popular Culture
Lyla has surged in popular culture just as its general popularity as a top name for baby girls. These are characters in television shows, cartoons, and names of songs or albums with the name Lyla:
- “Lyla”: A 2003 album from Avishai Cohen who is a jazz bassist
- “Lyla”: Musical single from Oasis in 2005
- Lyla: Minor character in “The Simpsons” who is Mr. Burns’ former love interest and, surprisingly enough, also his cousin.
- Lyla: Non-playable character in “Soulcalibur VI.”
- Lyla: Supporting character in the cartoon, “Barbie: It Takes Two” who is a Sound Engineer for Blown Speaker Studios.
- Lyla Garrity: Character played by Minka Kelly for the show, “Friday Night Lights.”
- Lyla Park: Sean Diaz’s best friend in the video game, “Life is Strange 2.”
- Lyla Remus: Notable LGBTQ character featured in a crossover comic book, “Attack on Titan Anthology.”
With Lyla on your list of name considerations, you may still be thinking about your final name decision. Here are answers to your questions about the name Lyla.
Is Lyla an Irish Name?
Lyla does not have Irish roots. The name only stems from Hebrew, Arabic, and Scottish origins.
Does Lila Mean Lilac?
The name variation of Lila does mean “lilac tree” in Persian origin. It also means “night” or “you are mine.”