- Meaning: Gabrielle means “God is my Strength.” However, some people interpret it to mean “Woman of God.”
- Gender: Gabrielle is traditionally a female name.
- Origin: Gabrielle is the female version of the name Gabriel, a name from the bible. It is the French version, but it has several variations in other European countries.
- Pronunciation: Gabrielle is pronounced Gah-bri-elle.
- Popularity: Gabrielle is a popular name in the United States, but was very popular in the early 2000s.
- Nicknames: Bella, Brie, Birella, Elle, Ellie, Gab, Gabby, and Gabs.
- Variations: Gabi, Gabriela, Gabriella, Gabriele, Gabrielle, Gabrijela, and Gavrilla.
- Namesakes: Gabrielle du Chatelet, Gabrielle Chanel, Gabrielle Giffords, Gabrielle d’Estrees, Gabrielle Union, and Gabrielle Roy.
- What Does Gabrielle Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Gabrielle?
- How Popular Is the Name Gabrielle?
- How Do I Pronounce Gabrielle?
- Is Gabrielle a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Gabrielle
- Nicknames for Gabrielle
- Similar Names to Gabrielle
- Middle Names for Gabrielle
- Sibling Names for Gabrielle
- Famous People Name Gabrielle
- Gabrielle in Popular Culture
- Gabrielle FAQs
What Does Gabrielle Mean?
Gabrielle is the feminine version of the name Gabriel. It means “God is my strength.” However, some interpret it as “Woman of God.”
Gabrielle is derived from the name Gabriel, a biblical name of the same meaning.
What Is the Origin of the Name Gabrielle?
Gabrielle is of French origin, and as we mentioned above, it is the feminine version of the name Gabriel. Gabriel was one of seven archangels that came to tell Mary about her divine pregnancy. Many religious people consider Gabriel to be one of God’s heroes.
Furthermore, Gabrielle is often viewed as a heroine of God.
How Popular Is the Name Gabrielle?
At present, Gabrielle is a popular girl name, ranking in the top 400 names in the United States. However, it has been on the decline since the mid-2000s. It broke into the top 50 names in the late 1990s and early 2000s and has been declining steadily since then.
Gabrielle started its steady rise in popularity in the late 1950s. At the time, it barely ranked inside the top 1000 names, but it reached the top 500 by the early 1970s. By the early 90s, it was in the top 100 and stayed there for over a decade.
How Do I Pronounce Gabrielle?
Gabrielle is pronounced Gah-bri-elle.
Is Gabrielle a Boy or Girl Name?
We mentioned this above, but Gabrielle is a girl’s name. The male version is Gabriel and is the name from which Gabrielle is derived. Historically, it has always been a female name as there is a male version that can be used by parents of the opposite sex to use as a name.
Variations of Gabrielle
There are a few variations of Gabrielle that are used by people in non-English speaking countries. They are as follows:
- Gabi (Hungarian)
- Gabriela (Bulgarian, German)
- Gabriella (Hungarian)
- Gabriele (German)
- Gabrielle (Dutch)
- Gabrijela (Croatian)
- Gavrilla (Romanian)
Nicknames for Gabrielle
Gabrielle is a good name for nicknames because the front and back end both lend to nicknames. Here are a few fun options.
Similar Names to Gabrielle
If you like the sound of Gabrielle, but it does not feel quite right, you can pick a similar name. Here are 20 names similar to Gabrielle. Keep in mind that they are not always sound alike. Instead, some of them are similar in origin and meaning.
Middle Names for Gabrielle
A middle name does not need to match the first name. However, it is always better if there is a nice flow between the two. Here are a few middle names that go well with Gabrielle.
Sibling Names for Gabrielle
If you have a child named Gabrielle, you might find it challenging to pick your child’s next name. They don’t have to have similar names, but it is good if they flow together. Here are some good options.
Famous People Name Gabrielle
Unfortunately, Gabrielle does not have the most famous history. However, there are some famous people named Gabrielle from today and the past.
- Gabrielle du Châtelet: French natural philosopher and mathematician.
- Gabrielle Chanel: French fashion designer and businesswoman.
- Gabrielle Giffords: American politician and gun control advocate.
- Gabrielle d’Estrees: French mistress and confidante of Henry IV of France.
- Gabrielle Union: American actress.
- Gabrielle Roy: Canadian author.
Gabrielle in Popular Culture
Gabrielle is not the most used name in books, TV, and movies, but there are a few famous examples.
- Gabrielle: Character from the television series Xena: Warrior Princess.
- Gabrielle Delacour: Fleur Delcaour’s siste in the Harry Potter series.
- Gabrielle de LionCourt: Lestat de Lioncourt’s mortal mother and vampire daughter.
- Gabrielle “Gabbe” Givens: Character in Fallen by Lauren Kate.
- Gabrielle Solis: A housewife in Desperate Housewives.
Here are answers to some of the most common questions people have about the name Gabrielle.
Is Gabrielle a Biblical Name?
Yes, while the name itself is not mentioned in the bible, it means “God is my Strength.” Additionally, while Gabrielle does not appear in the bible, the male version Gabriel does. As a result, the female version is considered a biblical name as well.
Is Gabrielle a Royal Name?
Gabrielle is not a traditionally royal name. While it is likely that someone from a royal family has been named Gabrielle in the past, no notable monarchs or royal family members from France or elsewhere have been named Gabrielle.
Is Gabrielle a Good Name?
Gabrielle is a perfectly good name. However, most names are good, and as a result, the one you choose comes down to personal preference. If you like the name, it will be a great option for your baby.