- Meaning: The name has roots in the Christian Bible and means “God is gracious.”
- Gender: Giovanna has a feminine association and is most often used for girls.
- Origin: The name is an Italian counterpart to the masculine Giovanni, which originates from the English John as in the Christian Bible.
- Pronunciation: Gianna is pronounced as “GEE-ah-nuh.” It rhymes with “iguana” or “nirvana.”
- Popularity: The name has become very popular in recent years, becoming the #13 most popular in 2019.
- Nicknames: Gi, Gigi, Gia, Gianny, Ginny, Giannina, Nana, Nina.
- Variations: Giovannetta, Hanna, Ioanna, Ivanka, Janina, Jannicka, Jeanne, Joanna, Johana, Johanna, Siobhán, Zhanna.
- Namesakes: Giana Maria Canale (Italian actress); Gianna Jun (South Korean actress, and model); Gianna Manzini (Italian writer).
- What Does Gianna Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Gianna?
- How Popular Is the Name Gianna?
- How Do I Pronounce Gianna?
- Is Gianna a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Gianna
- Nicknames for Gianna
- Similar Names to Gianna
- Middle Names for Gianna
- Sibling Names for Gianna
- Famous People Named Gianna
- Gianna in Popular Culture
- Gianna FAQs
What Does Gianna Mean?
The name Gianna is Italian and means “God is gracious” (1). It is often given to baby girls as a blessing, meaning that God is gracious for giving the baby to this family. It may also mean that God will be gracious in the baby’s life, as a way to wish for good health and luck.
What Is the Origin of the Name Gianna?
Gianna is Italian in origin and is a shortened form of Giovanna. As Giovanna became more popular in Italy, Gianna was used as a common nickname. Over time, Gianna itself began to be used as a given name because people loved it.
The name Giovanna and thus Gianna is the feminine counterpart to the masculine Giovanni, another Italian name traditionally given to boys.
The name has been popularized in other countries, though it has been slightly tweaked through translation into other languages, often using a j in place of the g.
The name seems to originate from the English John due to its connection with the Bible (2). The name John was the origin of Giovanni, and down the line, the feminine Gianni became a given name.
How Popular Is the Name Gianna?
Gianna began popular use as a given name in the United States in the late 1980s, reaching the rank of #884 in the list of popular girl’s names. From there, it has only become more popular nearly every year.
In 2006, Gianna broke the top 100 and became the 98th most popular girl’s name.
In recent years, it has shot up exponentially in popularity. In 2019, it sat at the rank of #79 for girls’ names. By the following year, 2020, it had become the 13th most popular name for girls in the entire United States. It seems like it will only grow in popularity, as the following year saw it at the same rank.
Gianna has become a very popular name for girls (3).
How Do I Pronounce Gianna?
The name Gianna is pronounced as “GEE-ah-nuh.” It rhymes with the words “iguana” or “nirvana.”
Is Gianna a Boy or Girl Name?
Gianna originated as the feminine counterpart to the masculine Giovanni, which had become quite popular in Italian history. Therefore, it has traditionally been a name for baby girls.
Variations of Gianna
Even though Gianna is an Italian girl name, it originally comes from the English John, so it has several masculine and feminine variations:
- Giovannetta (Italian)
- Hanna (Finnish)
- Ioanna (Greek)
- Ivanka (Slovak)
- Janina (German)
- Jannicka (Norwegian)
- Jeanne (French
- Joanna (Biblical)
- Johana (Czech)
- Johanna (Danish)
- Siobhán (Irish)
- Zhanna (Russian)
Nicknames for Gianna
Since Gianna started as a nickname itself, there are only a few other nicknames, though they are all great:
Similar Names to Gianna
If you are interested in names similar to Gianna, here are some other feminine names you might like:
Middle Names for Gianna
Since Gianna is a popular Italian name, below are some Italian and English middle names that pair well:
Sibling Names for Gianna
If you’re looking for a sibling name that may pair well with Gianna, here are some options, some of which share its Italian origin:
Famous People Named Gianna
As one would expect from a name with strong Italian roots, there are many famous Italians and some others with the name Gianna:
- Giana Maria Canale: Italian actress.
- Gianna D’Angelo: American soprano.
- Gianna Jun: South Korean actress and model.
- Gianna Manzini: Italian writer.
- Gianna Nannini: Italian singer-songwriter.
Gianna in Popular Culture
Gianna has a few instances of being used in popular culture:
- Gia Goodman: a secondary character in the tv show “Veronica Mars.”
- Gia Mahan: a minor character in the tv show “Full House.”
- Gianna: a character from “Barney and Friends” famous for being portrayed by actress Selena Gomez.
- Gianna: a fictional character from the “Ella Perri Mystery Series” books.
The following are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Gianna.
What Religion Is the Name Gianna?
The name Gianna has ties to the Christian Bible. Gianna originates from the masculine Italian Giovanni, which originally came from the biblical John. The name John has a strong tie to Christianity, as evidenced by the “Book of John” in the Bible.
In addition, the name Gianna also has ties to the English and biblical girl’s name Joanna, which is the name of a person in the Bible.
Is Gia Short for Gianna?
Gia is the most common nickname used for people with the given name Gianna, so yes, it is a shortened form.
What Is the Meaning of “God Is Gracious”?
The meaning of the name Gianna is “God is gracious,” but many people may wonder what this means. The phrase “God is gracious” appears many times in the Christian Bible. When examined biblically, the meaning is that God is gracious in that he sees the person as a delight and a treasure to the world (4).