- Meaning: Serena means peaceful, quiet, and tranquil.
- Gender: Serena is a feminine girl’s name. There are hardly any boys named Serena.
- Origin: The name Serena originates from Lati, but since Roman times has become a popular Italian name.
- Pronunciation: “suh-REE-nuh”
- Popularity: Serena is a popular name, particularly in Italy and the United States.
- Nicknames: Sera, Rena, Nina, Ser, CeeCee
- Variations: Cerina, Cerinna, Sarena, Sarina, Serene, Serina, Syrena
- Namesakes: Serena DeBeer, Serena Grandi, Serena Ortolani, Serena Nanda, Serena Williams.
- What Does Serena Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Serena?
- How Popular is the Name Serena?
- How Do I Pronounce Serena?
- Is Serena a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Serena
- Nicknames for Serena
- Similar Names to Serena
- Middle Names for Serena
- Sibling Names for Serena
- Famous People Named Serena
- Serena in Popular Culture
- Serena FAQs
What Does Serena Mean?
Serena means peaceful and quiet, which makes sense because the name is derived from the word serene, or serenus in Latin (1).
The name Serena is particularly feminine and soft, much like the term it derived from. So, if you are going for a more girly name, Serena works well.
Serena evokes tranquility and beauty, making it a great choice for your baby girl.
What is the Origin of the Name Serena?
The name Serena is Latin in origin but quickly became popular in Italy. It’s been around since Roman times, making this name both beautiful and timeless. The earliest reference to the name is a Roman saint named Serena, a martyr of the third century (2). It has grown steadily in popularity ever since.
How Popular is the Name Serena?
Serena is a classic girl name that dates as far back as Roman times, as well as increased in popularity in the United States in the late 1800s. In modern times, Serena made a comeback in the 1960s and has remained fairly popular on the baby name charts ever since. At present, Serena ranks 387 in the United States (3), making it a popular choice.
Serena peaked in popularity both in the United States and around the world in 1998, making it a popular name among babies born on the cusp of being Gen Z or Millennials.
How Do I Pronounce Serena?
Serena is pronounced as “Suh-REE-nuh.” The emphasis should not be on the first syllable.
Is Serena a Boy or Girl Name?
Serena is a girl’s name. The name evokes feminine energy, so it would not be common for a boy to be named Serena. While it is extremely uncommon for boys to be named Serena, there have been at least two baby boys named Serena since 1999. Still, that is not enough for it to be considered a boy’s name.
Variations of Serena
There are quite a few variations to the name Serena, including:
- Cerina [Latin]
- Cerinna [Latin]
- Saran [Indian]
- Sarani [Indian]
- Sarena [Latin]
- Sarina [Latin]
- Seren [Welsh]
- Serene [Latin]
- Serenity [Latin]
- Serina [Latin]
- Sienna [Italian]
- Sirania [Indian]
- Surena [Indian]
- Surin [Indian]
- Syrena [Latin]
Nicknames for Serena
Similarly, there are also some nicknames derived from the name, including:
Similar Names to Serena
If you like the sound of the name Serena but want to consider some other options, the following names are close:
Middle Names for Serena
Since it has a unique sound, you’ll want to pair Serena with a middle name that rolls off the tongue well, such as:
Sibling Names for Serena
The following names would go well for a sibling to Serena:
Famous People Named Serena
- Serena Altschul: Noblewoman of the Western Roman Empire.
- Serena Dandridge: American illustrator, painter, naturalist, and suffragist.
- Serena DeBeer: American chemist.
- Serena Deeb: American professional wrestler.
- Serena Grandi: Italian actress.
- Serena Ortolani: Italian volleyball player.
- Serena Nanda: American author.
- Serena Ryder: Canadian singer.
- Serena Shim: American journalist.
- Serena Williams: American tennis player.
Serena in Popular Culture
- Serena (No last name): A character in the TV show Bewitched.
- Serena (No last name): A character in Edmund Spenser’s poem “The Faerie Queene.”
- Serena (No last name): A character in the movie Terminator Salvation.
- Serena (No last name): A character in the video game Dragon Quest XI.
- Serena Baldwin: A character in the TV show General Hospital.
- Serena Bishop: A character in the TV show Neighbours.
- Serena Butler: A character in the book series Legends of Dune.
- Serena Southerlyn: A character in the TV show Law and Order.
- Serena the Healer: A character in the video game Master of Magic.
- Serena Joy Waterford: A character in the book and TV show The Handmaid’s Tale.
- Serena van der Woodsen: A character in the TV show Gossip Girl.