- Meaning: The name Lynn means “waterfall,” “pool,” “lake,” or “pond.”
- Gender: The name Lynn is most common in girls, but it’s a unisex name.
- Origin: The name Lynn is of Welsh and Celtic origin.
- Pronunciation: Lynn is pronounced phonetically as “LIH-nn.”
- Popularity: Lynn is not a very popular name. It has declined in popularity since the 1960s.
- Nicknames: Lenny, Ly, Elle, LyLy, Yinny, Yin, Lye, Lynta.
- Variations: Lyndon, Landon, Lin, Lynette, Linda, Lynda, Lynella.
- Namesakes: Lynn Redgrave, the English and American actress.
What Does Lynn Mean?
The name Lynn is a derivative of Gaelic and Welsh words for a lake, pond, waterfall, or pool. As a surname, Lynn comes from the pre-Roman British, or Brittonic, language – the word lenna means lake. The Welsh word llyn originates from there. As for Gaelic, the original word seems to be linne or linn.
Additionally, some identify the name’s origin as a variant of the German surname Lind, and others, as an alternative form of the Irish Flynn (1). Lind means linden tree, and Flynn means ‘son of the red-haired one.’
What Is the Origin of the Name Lynn?
Originally, Lynn was used as a last name, which derives from the name of a number of places and relates to water features. People have used it since the Middle Ages throughout English-speaking countries.
Today, it has been added to the end of names and has become a popular suffix for many names, such as Kaitlynn or Madelynn.
How Popular Is the Name Lynn?
The name Lynn is somewhat popular in the United States. It reached its peak in popularity in the 1950s (2). It has declined in popularity since then.
Lynn is used as a first and middle name in English-speaking countries. At present, Lynn appears more commonly as a middle name than a first name. It’s also very frequently used as a suffix.
How Do I Pronounce Lynn?
The name Lynn is pronounced, “LIH-nn.”
Because Lynn is pronounced the same way that it is spelled, it is not common for the name to be mispronounced.
Is Lynn a Boy or Girl Name?
Lynn most commonly appears as a girl’s name. However, the name is unisex, and it appears as a boy’s name with some frequency.
Variations of Lynn
Lynn is a short name that makes it easy to add syllables and create different variations.
Here are some of the more common variations of the name Lynn:
- Landon (English)
- Lin (Chinese)
- Linda (English)
- Linda (Spanish)
- Lynella (American)
- Lynette (Belgium)
- Lyndon (American)
Nicknames for Lynn
Lynn is a short name that sounds soft and gentle. Because it is such a short name, nicknames are not very common.
Here are some examples of nicknames for the name Lynn:
Similar Names to Lynn
Lynn is not very unique in its phonetic sound. Several names sound similar or even use Lynn as a suffix.
Here are similar names to Lynn:
Middle Names for Lynn
SinceLynn is a short and simple name, it pairs well with many others. Here are some examples:
Sibling Names for Lynn
The name Lynn is not hard to pair well with other names. Because the name is of Celtic and Welsh origins, it also pairs best with names that are of similar origin.
Below are some sibling name suggestions that complement the name Lynn:
Famous People Named Lynn
Because the name Lynn has been popular in the past, there are many examples of famous people named Lynn throughout history.
Here is a small list of some of the most notable people that have the name Lynn:
- Lynn Abbey: American author.
- Lynn Anderson: American singer.
- Lynn Hillary: Irish musician.
- Lynn Okamotto: Japanese manga creator.
- Lynn Redgrave: English actress.
- Lynn Thomas: American football player
- Lynn Vidali: American swimmer.
Lynn in Popular Culture
Lynn is present in many forms of fictional media. Here are some examples of the name Lynn in popular culture:
- Lynn Anderson: American country singer.
- Lynn McGill: Character in the television show “24”.
- Lynn Loud Sr & Jr: Characters from the movie “Loud House.”
- Lynn Spoor: American illustrator.
- Lynn Stewart: Character in movie “Black Lightning.”
- Lynn Swann: American football player.
Below is a list of some of the most commonly asked questions about the name Lynn.