- Meaning: Brian means “noble” or “strong.”
- Gender: Brian is more popular as a boy’s name, but you can also use it as a girl’s name.
- Origin: Brian originated in Ireland and comes from Old Celtic.
- Pronunciation: “BREYE-in”
- Popularity: Brian is in the top 300 most popular names in the United States.
- Nicknames: Boru, Bran, Bree, Bri, Bri-Bri, Brie, Brit, Bryn, and Ran.
- Variations: Brain, Briant, Brien, Brion, Brjánn, Bryan, Bryant, Bryen, and Byron.
- Namesakes: Brian Boru, Brian May, Brian Mulroney.
- What Does Brian Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Brian?
- How Popular Is the Name Brian?
- How Do I Pronounce Brian?
- Is Brian a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Brian
- Nicknames for Brian
- Similar Names to Brian
- Middle Names for Brian
- Sibling Names for Brian
- Famous People Named Brian
- Brian in Popular Culture
- Brian FAQs
What Does Brian Mean?
Brian is a classic and handsome name. The most commonly agreed-upon meaning of the name Brian is noble. Other possible meanings include strong and virtuous.
This name most likely comes from Old Celtic. In Old Celtic, bre means hill, which linguists theorize represents a concept of nobility or an exalted person.
Generally, Brian is associated with royalty and nobility, especially the ancient aristocracy of Ireland and northwestern England. The name evokes dignity and honor.
On the other hand, Brian also has separate origins as an Old Occitan (early romance language) surname. In that context, the name Brian comes from a word that means maggot, which was originally used as a nickname.
However, in contemporary culture, Brian is more associated with its Old Celtic and Irish origins than it is with Old Occitan.
What Is the Origin of the Name Brian?
Brian is an Old Celtic name that originated in Ireland. The name gained significant popularity during the tenth century due to it being the name of Brian Boru, an influential Irish king from the period.
The name Brian spread to England in the Middle Ages via the Bretons. The Bretons were a group that occupied Ireland along with the Normans during the twelfth century. Later on, the name Brian became popular in England.
In addition, Brian was brought to England by Scandinavians who had spent time in Ireland, which is why the name is common in the northwestern region of England. Other variations of the name Brian have continued to spread throughout the centuries through the Irish diaspora.
How Popular Is the Name Brian?
Brian is a relatively popular name in the United States (1). The name rapidly became more prevalent during the twentieth-century baby boom and has continued to be a well-liked name. The name Brian reached its peak popularity between 1972 and 1977 when it was the eighth most common boy’s name in the country.
Although Brian has declined in popularity in the last couple of decades, it is still used rather frequently. As of today, it remains within the top 300 most popular baby names in the United States.
How Do I Pronounce Brian?
Brian is pronounced BREYE-in. It should rhyme with the name Ryan.
Is Brian a Boy or Girl Name?
Brian is traditionally a name for boys. However, it can be used as a feminine name. Brian was briefly popular as a girl’s name during the 1970s and early 1980s (2).
Variations of Brian
Brian is an old name that has spread through various cultures. Some variations of Brian include:
- Brain (Irish)
- Briant (Irish)
- Brien (Irish)
- Brion (Irish)
- Brjánn (Icelandic)
- Bryan (English)
- Bryant (English)
- Bryen (Irish)
- Byron (Irish)
Nicknames for Brian
There are plenty of cute nicknames for the name Brian. Some ideas for nicknames for Brian include:
Similar Names to Brian
If you like the name Brian, you may want to consider a similar name. There are various names with a similar sound and aesthetic to the name Brian. Similar names to Brian include:
Middle Names for Brian
When it comes to a middle name for Brian, there are many attractive options from which to choose. Some of the best middle names for Brian are long, classic names. Middle name ideas for Brian include:
Sibling Names for Brian
If you are looking for sibling names for Brian, you will have lots of beautiful names to consider. The best sibling names for Brian are other classic Irish boy names.
For a sister:
For a brother:
Famous People Named Brian
Since Brian is an old name, many famous people in history have been named Brian. King Brian Boru is arguably the first famous person named Brian. Other famous people named Brian include:
- Brian Austin Green: American actor who starred in Beverly Hills, 90210.
- Brian Epstein: Manager of The Beatles.
- Brian May: Musician and member of the band Queen.
- Brian Mulroney: Former Canadian prime minister.
- Brian Williams: News anchor.
Brian in Popular Culture
The name Brian is frequently used in works of fiction. Examples of Brian in popular culture include:
- Brian Griffin: Character on Family Guy.
- Brian Kinney: Character on Queer as Folk.
- Brian O’Connor: Character in The Fast and Furious franchise.
- Brian Cohen: Titular character in Monty Python’s Life of Brian.
- Brian Johnson: Character in The Breakfast Club.
Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Brian.