- Meaning: Kevin means “handsome.”
- Gender: Kevin is most often a name for boys.
- Origin: The name Kevin comes from an Irish origin. It stems from the Gaelic name “Caoimhín,” which became popular after the seventh-century patron saint of Dublin.
- Pronunciation: Kevin is pronounced, “KEV-in.”
- Popularity: Kevin is a popular name, especially in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland.
- Nicknames: Kev, Kevy, Vin, and Vinny.
- Variations: Keven, Kevon, Kevan, Kevin, Kevyn, Kevinn, Kevion, and Kevis.
- Namesakes: Kevin Bacon, American actor.
- What Does Kevin Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Kevin?
- How Popular is the Name Kevin?
- How Do I Pronounce Kevin?
- Is Kevin a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Kevin
- Nicknames for Kevin
- Similar Names to Kevin
- Middle Names for Kevin
- Sibling Names for Kevin
- Famous People Named Kevin
- Kevin in Popular Culture
- Kevin FAQs
What Does Kevin Mean?
If you are looking for a name for a child that sums up how handsome he is, then look no further than the Irish name, Kevin. If your name is Kevin, then congratulations on having a name with such a wonderful meaning.
The name Kevin means “handsome”. Secondary meanings of the name include “kind,” “gentle,” and “honest.” While the name is not of English origin, “peace” is the English meaning of Kevin.
What is the Origin of the Name Kevin?
The name Kevin comes of Irish origin (1). It is a variation of the early Gaelic name, “Caoimhín,” a name that means “comely.” The most notorious use of the name Caoimhín was the seventh-century patron saint of Dublin.
Later, the name became Anglicized. This is why it has the pronunciation, meaning, and spelling that it does today.
How Popular is the Name Kevin?
Kevin is a popular name. It ranks 156 out of the most popular male names in the United States of America. It is also a popular name in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
The name Kevin has declined in popularity in recent years. In the 1950s, it used to be very popular, as it was in the top 30 names. Since then, its rank has steadily declined, though it is still common.
How Do I Pronounce Kevin?
The pronunciation of Kevin is fairly straightforward, as the spelling is phonetic with the emphasis on the first syllable of the name. To correctly pronounce Kevin, say it as KEV-in.
Is Kevin a Boy or Girl Name?
In general, Kevin is a masculine name. It is most often the name for a boy. Some parents name their girls Kevin, though it is very uncommon. For girls, the name Kevin ranks 17,233 on a list of the most popular girl names, while it remains in the top 200 names for boys.
Variations of Kevin
There are a few variations that people often use for Kevin, all of which have the same meaning of “handsome.” The following are less common spellings of the name that you may want to try out:
- Kevan (Irish, Gaelic)
- Keven (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevon (Irish, Gaelic)
- Keveonn (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevinn (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevion (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevis (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevyn (Irish, Gaelic)
- Kevynn (Irish, Gaelic)
Nicknames for Kevin
There are many nicknames that Kevins’ friends and family may refer to him as. The following are common nicknames that you can use for someone whose name is Kevin:
Similar Names to Kevin
If you like the name Kevin but for some reason, it is not the exact name you want to use, then you may benefit from looking at similar names. The following is a list of similar names to Kevin:
Middle Names for Kevin
If you decide that Kevin is the perfect name for your baby, then the next course of action is to determine a middle name that sounds nice with it. Any of the following would be suitable middle names for someone whose name is Kevin:
Sibling Names for Kevin
If you already have a child named Kevin, then you may be considering what a good name for their new sibling may be. See how any of the following sibling names sound in conjunction with Kevin:
Famous People Named Kevin
Kevin is a popular name, so naturally, there are quite a few famous people who also have the name Kevin. This is a list of some of the most famous people who share the name with Kevins all over:
- Kevin Bacon: American actor.
- Kevin Costner: American actor.
- Kevin Durant: American basketball player.
- Kevin Garnett: American basketball player.
- Kevin Hart: American actor and comedian.
- Kevin Jonas: American singer and actor.
- Kevin Nash: American actor.
- Kevin O’Connell: NFL head coach for the Minnesota Fikings.
- Kevin Owen: Canadian professional wrestler.
- Kevin Michael Richardson: American actor.
- Kevin Spacey: American actor and producer.
Kevin in Popular Culture
Kevin is a commonly-used name in popular culture, too. There are plenty of beloved characters who have the name Kevin. The following characters share the name:
- Cousin Kevin: Character from “Tommy”
- Kevin: Character from the Pixar animation “Up”
- Kevin: Character from TV’s “Ed, Edd n Eddy”
- Kevin: Character from TV’s “Thomas and Friends”
- Kevin Arnold: Character from TV’s “The Wonder Years”
- Kevin Gnapoor: Character from “Mean Girls”
- Kevin McCallister: Character from “Home Alone” and “Home Alone 2”
- Kevin Thompson: Character from TV’s “Daria”
- Kevin Tran: Character from TV’s “Supernatural”
If you find yourself with more questions about the name Kevin, then maybe we can answer them for you.