- Meaning: Marie has many meanings depending on the background. The Latin term means “from the sea” while the Hebrew term means “bitterness.”
- Gender: Marie is often used for hyphenated names for male and female names in French culture.
- Origin: Marie is of French origin with Latin and Hebrew influences.
- Pronunciation: traditionally Marie is pronounced mah-REE
- Popularity: Marie is most popular in European culture as a first name (1). In the United States, it is down to the 600th most popular name in modern times.
- Nicknames: A few common nicknames for Marie are Mari, Ree, Ria, Mare, and more.
- Variations: There are many variations on Marie like Mary, Maren, Maree, Miriam, and others.
- Namesakes: Marie is a very historical name, so there are tons of historical figures bearing Marie. Some include French Queen Marie Antoinette, Polish-French Scientist Marie Curie, American Entertainer Marie Osmond, and French Sculptor Marie Tussaud.
- What Does Marie Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Marie?
- How Popular is the Name Marie?
- How Do I Pronounce Marie?
- Is Marie a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Marie
- Nicknames for Marie
- Similar Names to Marie
- Middle Names for Marie
- Sibling Names for Marie
- Famous People Named Marie
- Marie in Popular Culture
- Marie FAQs
What Does Marie Mean?
Marie is a common name for first names and middle names for females. The name is a variation of the Latin term for “star of the sea.” There are a few other recorded meanings for the name. These range from French, English, and Latin backgrounds. Common interpretations are “bitterness”, “wished for child”, “beloved”, and “marine”.
What is the Origin of the Name Marie?
The origin of the name is French. It is from the root Latin term relating to the sea. Marie is also a common name in Czech culture (2).
However, note that Marie is the French form of Maria, which is derived from the Hebrew name Maryam.
How Popular is the Name Marie?
Marie has dropped in popularity as a first name in the last century. It used to be very common as a first name but has since picked up popularity as a middle name. Marie is currently the 600th most popular name in the United States. It has kept popular in European countries like France, especially in a hyphenated fashion (3).
How Do I Pronounce Marie?
In English-based cultures, Marie is pronounced mah-REE with an emphasis on the second syllable. In Czech culture, it is pronounced MAH-ri-ye. The emphasis here is on the first syllable. Additionally, instead of having two syllables, it tends to be pronounced with three.
Is Marie a Boy or Girl Name?
Marie is a female name across most cultures. In French culture, it is used as a male name with hyphenations in addition to being used for a female.
For example, a French male name could be Andre-Marie. Hyphenating is a common practice in Italian families as well.
Variations of Marie
As with any long-standing name, variations on Marie have come into play. These variations create a more flowy name or modernize the name. Here is a list of a few of the variations on Marie that are popular today.
Nicknames for Marie
Nicknames for Marie are common. However, the name itself is already short, so the need for a shortened name is not as great as other names with more letters and syllables. Here are a few common nicknames for you here.
Similar Names to Marie
If you like Marie but are unsure about using it as your name, there are a few similarly styled names you might find to be a better fit! When you look for a similar name to Marie, look for something with the same amount of syllables and the same historical background.
It is a traditional name, so other similar names are also rather classic and pretty in the same way. Our list contains a few names that are similar to Marie. Many are French-inspired.
Middle Names for Marie
Marie is more often used as a middle name in the present day. However, if you choose to use it as a first name, pair it with another French-inspired or romantically styled name for a beautiful, flowing effect.
Sibling Names for Marie
Whether you are pairing a male name or a female name with Marie, it should be classic and elegant to pair well with this timeless name. Think about pairing it with another that has the same number of letters or syllables. You can also keep with the theme and use another name beginning with M. Options are endless!
For a sister:
For a brother:
Famous People Named Marie
There are many famous people throughout history named Marie. It is such a classic name that has spanned hundreds of years. Take a look at our list of famous people named Marie here.
- Marie Antoinette: French queen.
- Marie Curie: Polish-French physicist.
- Marie Louise Jensen: British children’s author.
- Marie Lu: American author.
- Marie Osmond: American musician.
- Marie Tussaud: French artist and sculptor.
- Marie Wilson: American actress.
Marie in Popular Culture
Marie is also a common choice for names of fictional characters in television, film, and books. Our list covers famous Maries in popular culture from all of these categories.
- Marie: A cartoon animation character from the 1970 Disney film “The Aristocats.”
- Marie: A subject from Albert Camus’ novel “The Stranger.”
- Marie Barone: A sitcom character from the American television show “Everybody Loves Raymond.”
- Marie Calvet: A character from the American television show “Mad Men.”
- Marie Schrader: A character from the American television show “Breaking Bad.”
You may still have a few lingering questions about the name that we have yet to cover. Find the answers to all of your remaining questions here!
Why is Marie So Popular As A Middle Name?
Marie is most popular in the United States as a middle name, instead of a first name. At the turn of the 20th century, Marie was a very common first name. Eventually, those people named Marie in the 1920-1950s became grandparents.
It is common for Americans to give middle names that honor famous figures in time or family members. This could be why Marie is so popular now as a middle name.
What Is the Personality of the Name Marie?
The name Marie often accompanies hard-working people who are driven and focused. It is thought to have a pioneering spirit. However, a name does not always equate to personality and you should not choose a name based solely on predicted personality traits.