- Meaning: Christine means “follower of Christ,” “anointed,” or “Christian woman, “derived from the Latin name Christianus, meaning “I am of Christ.”
- Gender: Christine is typically a girl’s name, but a boy may receive it occasionally.
- Origin: Greek and Egyptian roots.
- Pronunciation: “kris-TEEN”
- Popularity: Since 1970, which saw over 16,000 Christines, the name has not been quite as popular, with only 138 babies named Christine in 2021.
- Nicknames: Chris, Chrissy, Christy, Tina, Tintin, Tiny.
- Variations: Christina, Cristina, Hristina, Khrystyna, Kirsten, Kristiina, Kristin, Kristina, Kristine, Krystyna.
- Namesakes: Christine Booth,Christine Daae, Christine “Spike” Nelson, Christine Taylor.
- What Does Christine Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Christine?
- How Popular Is the Name Christine?
- How Do I Pronounce Christine?
- Is Christine a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Christine
- Nicknames for Christine
- Similar Names to Christine
- Middle Names for Christine
- Sibling Names for Christine
- Famous People Named Christine
- Christine in Popular Culture
- Christine FAQs
What Does Christine Mean?
Christine means “follower of Christ,” “anointed,” or “Christian woman,” derived from the Latin boy name Christianus, meaning “I am of Christ.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Christine?
The name Christine has both Greek and Egyptian roots.
How Popular Is the Name Christine?
Christine has been around for a few hundred years and has seen several popularity spikes over the last century. The name grew in popularity across the 1940s, with almost 18,000 babies named Christine in 1952 before dipping down again. Twenty years later, the name was back on the map.
Since 1970, which saw over 16,000 Christines, the name has not been quite as popular, with only 138 babies named Christine in the current year (1).
How Do I Pronounce Christine?
You pronounce the name Kristin like “kris-TEEN.”
Is Christine a Boy or Girl Name?
Christine is typically a girl’s name.
Variations of Christine
You have probably heard the name Christine in its several international variations, all of which make beautiful names too. You have probably heard such variations as:
- Christina: Latin, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Cristina: Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Hristina: Bosnian, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Khrystyna: Ukrainian, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Kirsten: Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Kristiina: Estonian and Polish, meaning “beautiful girl.”
- Kristin: Latin, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Kristina: Danish, German, Norwegian, and Swedish, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Kristine: Latin, meaning “follower of Christ.”
- Krystyna: Polish and Scandinavian, meaning “follower of Christ.”
Nicknames for Christine
The fun of Christine is that you can come up with some cute and creative nicknames for it. You might enjoy calling your little girl some of the following names:
Similar Names to Christine
While Christine is a lovely name, it might not suit your little girl. You might like some of the following names instead:
Middle Names for Christine
To make Christine an even more musical name, pick a fun middle name to go with it! Such middle names for Christine might include:
Sibling Names for Christine
So your Christine might become part of a sibling group. Let’s see what girl and boy names sync up nicely with the name:
For a girl:
For a boy:
Famous People Named Christine
A classy and cute girl’s name like Christine has lent itself to several actresses, scientists, and athletes, such as:
- Christine Adams: English actress.
- Christine Andreas: American actress and singer.
- Christine Beatty: American writer, transgender activist, and musician.
- Christine Boudrias: Canadian Olympic short track speed skater.
- Christine Boyle: Canadian politician.
- Christine Brewer: American soprano.
- Christine Cavanaugh: American voice actress.
- Christine Drea: American biologist and ecologist.
- Christine Girard: Canadian weightlifter and the first woman to win a medal in weightlifting.
- Christine Mboma: Namibian runner.
- Christine de Pizan: French writer.
- Christine Taylor: American actress.
- Saint Christina of Bolsena: Third-century Christian martyr.
Christine in Popular Culture
The name Christine usually brings to mind beautiful and intelligent characters in pop culture. A few such characters across media include:
- Christine: the title character of the Stephen King novel Christine.
- Christine: a character in Toni Morrison’s novel Love.
- Christine Appleby: a character in the British soap opera Coronation Street.
- Christine Blair: a character from the CBS soap opera The Young and the Restless.
- Christine Booth: a character from the American TV drama series Bones.
- Christine Chapel: a character from the original Star Trek series and movies.
- Christine Daae: a main character in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical and the Gaston Leroux novel The Phantom of the Opera.
- Christine Mulgrew: a character from the BBC drama Waterloo Road.
- Christine “Spike” Nelson: a character from the Canadian TV drama series Degrassi.
No matter how popular a name is, you can always learn something more about it. So let’s see what else we can find out about Christine.