- Meaning: Crystal means “ice” when translated from Greek.
- Gender: Crystal is traditionally a female’s name.
- Origin: Crystal originates from the Greek word “krystallos.”
- Pronunciation: “KRIS-təl”
- Popularity: The name regained popularity over the years during the early 2000s.
- Nicknames: CeCe, Christa, Chris, Chrissie, Chrissy.
- Variations: Kristal, Krystal, Cristal, Kristel, Krystle, Kristol.
- Namesakes: Crystal Marie Reed, an American actress from the TV show Teen Wolf.
- What Does Crystal Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Crystal?
- How Popular Is the Name Crystal?
- How Do I Pronounce Crystal?
- Is Crystal a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Crystal
- Nicknames for Crystal
- Similar Names to Crystal
- Middle Names for Crystal
- Sibling Names for Crystal
- Famous People Named Crystal
- Crystal in Popular Culture
- Crystal FAQs
What Does Crystal Mean?
Traditionally, Crystal is a woman’s name and finds its origin in Greek.
According to Wikipedia, Crystal is derived from the 19th-century word for the transparent quartz gemstone. The Greek word krystallos means “ice” (1). Another meaning of the name Crystal is “the pure,” which is an allusion to the high quality of glass known by this exact name.
Crystal stems from the word “crys,” meaning “one who carries Christ.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Crystal?
Crystal is derived from the Greek Crystallia or Krystallia.
The local origin of the name Crystal is English. However, a person with the name Crystal is mainly Christian by religion.
How Popular Is the Name Crystal?
According to the Social Security Administration index, Crystal reached peak popularity in 2000, where it ranked at 132 (2). The Social Security Administration’s birth record database indicates that the first name Crystal was first given on September 2nd, 1879.
From the years 2000 to 2005, Crystal was listed in the top 200 list of baby names. Since then, however, it has decreased in popularity, falling to the 960th rank on the Social Security Administration Website from a previous high of 132.
According to the Official USA, Crystal was most popular in 1982, ranking at 13 among girl names, with a total of 19,106 (3).
How Do I Pronounce Crystal?
The name Crystal is pronounced “KRIS-təl” in text or letters.
The pronunciation of Crystal can also be pronounced “c-rys-tal.”
Is Crystal a Boy or Girl Name?
While Crystal is traditionally a female name, it can be used for boys as well. If you’re looking for a name more closely associated with masculinity, then Christopher could be a good fit.
Variations of Crystal
Crystal has several name variations from languages and cultures all across the world. Spellings have evolved over thousands of years since ancient times.
Some of the most common variations of Crystal include:
- Christina (Greek)
- Cristal (Latin)
- Crisiant (Welsh)
- Krysta (Latin)
- Krystal (Greek)
- Krystle (Latin)
You’ll notice none of these variations are as popular as Crystal. As a result, these variations appear less frequently in the US naming databases like the Social Security Administration Site.
Nicknames for Crystal
Here is a list of common nicknames for Crystal:
Only a few nicknames for Crystal are named here. However, there are still dozens, if not hundreds, that pair well with the name Crystal. It all depends on the variation that you use for your child’s name.
Similar Names to Crystal
Crystal isn’t the only popular gemstone name out there. There are many other mineral names you can pick from when choosing a name for your child. Consider some of these while making your baby-naming decision:
Middle Names for Crystal
Maybe you want to name your child Crystal but are not quite sure what to use for their middle name. Sometimes you want a similar ending name or a different sounding name.
Here are some options we have found that work well together with Crystal:
Sibling Names for Crystal
If you are a parent with a kid named Crystal and you want to find a name for their sibling, there are plenty of names that flow well. Whether you are looking for a sister or brother name, we have compiled a list of names that go together with Crystal.
For a Brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Crystal
Many famous people share the name Crystal. Consider these famous people while making your baby-naming decision to give your daughter the chance to live up to her name:
- Crystal Allen: American film actress.
- Crystal Hunt: American actress.
- Crystal Kelly: Professional basketball player in the WNBA.
- Crystal Marie Reed: American television and film actress who is known for the TV series “Teen Wolf.”
Crystal in Popular Culture
Over the years, there have been several characters in pop culture that have been named Crystal or have had a variation of this name.
Here are a few notable fictional characters named Crystal:
- Crystal Anderson: A character on the TV series “Roseanne.”
- Crystal: A character in the 2019 film “Hustlers.”
- Crystal: The main character in the Manga series Pokemon Adventures.
- Crystal the Snow Fairy: A character from the Rainbow Magic book franchise.
- Krystle Carrington: A character from the 1980s TV series “Dynasty.”
Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions by people who want to name their child Crystal.