- Meaning: The name Jade refers to the precious mineral of the same name. Jades are highly prized for their bright green coloration. They are used to make traditional jewelry in East Asia, South Asia, South America, and Central America.
- Gender: The name Jade is unisex. However, in English-speaking cultures, it is predominantly given to girls.
- Origin: The origin of jade is Spanish, from a phrase that means “stone of the colic” in English.
- Pronunciation: The name is most commonly pronounced as “Jayd.”
- Popularity: The name Jade is very popular.
- Nicknames: Gia, J, JD, JJ, Jay, Jay-Bird, Jadee, Jadie, Jadie-Bug, Jax.
- Variations: Jayde, Jaid, Jayd, Jada, Jadeana, Jaiden, Jayda, Giada, Jad, Jadeit, Jeda, Zhade.
- Namesakes: Jade Jagger, Jade Howard, Jade Helena Brooks, Jade Esteban Estrada, Jade Kindar-Martin, Jade Albright, Jade Chan, Jade Harley, Jade Mitchell, Jade Sutherland.
What Does Jade Mean?
The given name Jade comes from the common name for a precious gemstone. Jades can be either nephrites or jadeites, and they are usually bright green.
Jades are popular for their decorative uses and specifically for their use as jewels. They can be seen in jewelry, sculpture, and artwork from around the world.
They are strongly associated with art from East Asian countries like China, South Eastern countries like India, and Latin American countries like Guatemala and Mexico.
What Is the Origin of the Name Jade?
The origin of the name is Spanish. It derives from “piedra de ijada.” The term translates to “loin stone,” in reference to its alleged medicinal properties.
How Popular is the Name Jade?
Jade is a pretty obscure name for baby boys. It was at its most popular in the 1970s. However, Jade is a very popular name for girls. In 2020, Jade cracked the top 100 most popular baby girl names and reached #97.
How Do I Pronounce Jade?
The name “Jade” is one syllable long. It is most commonly pronounced: “Jayd.”
Is Jade a Boy or Girl Name?
Jade is commonly considered to be a feminine name, and more girls than boys are given this name. However, it can be gender-neutral under this spelling or a similar-sounding one.
Variations of Jade
There are a few alternate spellings of the name Jade, including “Jayde,” “Jaid,” and “Jayd.”
In English, Jade has several variations:
Because Jade is a noun in English, there are also several unique versions of this name in other languages!
- Giada (Italian)
- Jad (Romanian)
- Jadeit (Polish)
- Jeda (Bangla)
- Zhade (French)
Nicknames for Jade
Because it is a single-syllable name, Jade does not have many nicknames associated with it. However, there are still a few cute nickname ideas for someone named Jade!
Similar Names to Jade
If you think Jade has a ring to it, but it isn’t quite your favorite, we have selected some excellent options that sound similar to Jade.
Likewise, if you want to name your child after a precious stone, but you don’t like the sound of Jade, we picked out a few names with similar meanings to Jade, as well (1).
Names That Sound Like “Jade”
Names That Refer to Precious Stones and Mean Something Similar to “Jade”
Middle Names for Jade
If you like the name Jade, but you’re struggling to come up with a middle name to match, here are some that pair particularly well:
Sibling Names for Jade
Are you expecting twins? Or perhaps you already have a child named Jade, and you are thinking of expanding your family. If so, here are a few sibling names that will sound nice with Jade:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Jade
Here are some famous people who have the name, Jade:
- Jade Helena Brooks: American author and activist.
- Jade Esteban Estrada: American singer and actor.
- Jade Howard: South African-Zambian swimmer.
- Jade Jagger: British-French designer and model.
- Jade Kindar-Martin: highwire walker and performer
Jade in Popular Culture
Because Jade is such a striking name, it has been given to many fictional characters, especially in action media and soap operas. Fictional Jades are almost unanimously female; however, there are a few fictional male Jades to choose from.
Here is a small selection of famous fictional Jades to help inspire you in your baby naming journey:
- Jade Albright: A female character from the soap opera “Hollyoaks.”
- Jade Chan: The fictional niece of Jackie Chan in the animated series “Jackie Chan Adventures.”
- Jade Harley: A female character from Andrew Hussie’s webcomic “Homestuck.”
- Jade Mitchell: A female character from the soap opera “Neighbors.”
- Jade Nguyen, aka Cheshire: A female supervillain from DC Comics, best known as a rival of the Teen Titans.
- Jade Sutherland: A female character from the soap opera “Home and Away.”
- Jade: The protagonist of the video game “Beyond Good & Evil.”
- Jade: A female opponent from the video game “Mortal Kombat.”
- Jade: One of the original Bratz dolls.
- Jade: A male character from the King Crimson song “Cadence and Cascade.”
Here are some commonly asked questions about the name Jade.
Is Jade More Commonly a Surname?
No, Jane is most commonly a given name. However, there is a record of families with the last name “Jade” in Germany.
Does the Name Jade Have Any Colors Associated With It?
Jade is so strongly associated with the color green that it is commonly used to describe a specific shade of green similar to that of the precious stone. There are also varieties of jade that come in yellow, white, and other colors.