- Meaning: The name Onyx means fingernail or claw in Greek. It’s also a black gemstone.
- Gender: Onyx is a unisex name. It’s a more popular name for boys at present.
- Origin: The word onyx is a Greek word. Onyx, the gemstone, originated in India and South America and is believed to have magical properties.
- Pronunciation: “o-niks” or “ah-niks” or “aw-niks”
- Popularity: Onyx is currently a popular name choice for boys.
- Nicknames: Big O, On, Oni-saurus, Ox, Nixie, and Nyx.
- Variations: Aunix, Onex, Onix, Onyxia, and Onyxx.
- Namesakes: Onix Cardona Concepción, Onyx Dornelles Lorenzoni, and Onyx Stauffer.
What Does Onyx Mean?
Gemstone names remain an enduringly popular choice among today’s parents, and the name Onyx is no exception. The name Onyx comes from an uncommon black gemstone that’s a form of agate.
The word onyx comes from the Greek word “onux” which means fingernail or claw. Onyx’s dark color resembles a claw and even has a mythological connection to Ancient Greece.
The most well-known version of the myth says that Cupid used his arrows to cut the fingernails of his mother, Venus, while she slept. They fell from Mount Olympus into the Indus river. The fates transformed the clipped nails into stone to immortalize them because they viewed every part of Venus’s body as divine (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Onyx?
The name Onyx comes from the Greek word meaning fingernail or claw. The gemstone itself is from India and South America.
Centuries ago, merchants traded onyx as a precious stone. It was a beautiful, enigmatic stone that was believed to have magic powers. People believe that onyx brings strong support, stamina, and the determination to persevere.
The Chinese believed the stone was protective and grounding for the wearer. The ancient Persians and Indians believed Onyx would protect you from evil and keep your relationships harmonious (2).
Whether you believe in the magical or supernatural properties of gems and minerals, it can’t hurt to learn such positive characteristics are attributed to the name Onyx.
How Popular is the Name Onyx?
According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), the name Onyx is popular for boys in the United States at present (3). There is no data detailing the popularity of the name Onyx for girls because it’s not in the top one thousand most popular names.
Onyx didn’t enter the top one thousand most popular baby names until 2018. It came in fairly popular in 864th place and moved up to a popular 406th place in just a few years.
How Do I Pronounce Onyx?
The name Onyx isn’t of English origin, so you may not know how to pronounce it. It is pronounced like “o-niks,” “ah-niks,” or “aw-niks” in American English and “on-iks” in British English.
The different American English pronunciations come from different regions in the United States. You may run across other pronunciations in select dialects, but these are the most common. No one way is more correct than another.
Is Onyx a Boy or Girl Name?
You can give any name to any baby, no matter what their gender is. Historically, Onyx has been a gender-neutral name, though today it is most commonly used as a boy’s name in the United States.
Parents especially enjoy using this name for boys because of its masculine connotation.
Variations of Onyx
If you like the sound of the name Onyx but don’t want to use that exact spelling, you’re in luck: check out these variations we came up with!
Nicknames for Onyx
Unique names come with unique nicknames, and Onyx is no exception. Whether you’re trying to come up with a moniker for your child or a close friend, we’ve got you covered:
Similar Names to Onyx
Do you like the name Onyx, but feel it doesn’t fit quite right? Maybe you already know someone named Onyx, and it would be awkward to name your child that? Here are some names similar to Onyx:
Middle Names for Onyx
Here are some middle names that flow well with Onyx:
Sibling Names for Onyx
Here are some sibling names that go well with Onyx. They either match in origin, sound, or coolness factor.
Famous People Named Onyx
Famous people can either help or hurt a name’s popularity. Here are some famous people that share the name Onyx:
- Dru Onyx: ring name of Rodney Kellman, a Canadian professional wrestler.
- Onix Cardona Concepción: Puerto Rican baseball player.
- Onyx: son of rapper Iggy Azalea.
- Onyx: ring name of Kyle McNeely, an American professional wrestler.
- Onyx: stage name of Yaniv Goldfarb, an Israeli DJ.
- Onyx Dornelles Lorenzoni: a Brazilian politician, businessman, and veterinarian.
- Onyx Stauffer: Son of youtubers James and Myka Stauffer.
Onyx in Popular Culture
Onyx is a popular name in fiction, especially when it comes to villains and antagonists. Consider the following:
- Onix: a rock-type Pokemon.
- Onyxia: a villainous dragon from World of Warcraft
- Onyx Adams: a member of the League of Assassins from DC comics
If you still have questions about the name Onyx, read on: