- Meaning: Felix means “happy, lucky, blessed, fortunate.”
- Gender: Felix is a male name.
- Origin: Felix comes from the Latin word felix, which means “fruitful.”
- Pronunciation: The name Felix is pronounced: “FEE-liks.”
- Popularity: This name is popular in the United States and only slightly less popular worldwide.
- Nicknames: Fee, Fill, Flick, Fox, Lix.
- Variations: Fee, Felice, Feliciano, Felizio, Felyx, Flecien.
- Namesakes: Felix the Cat, Felix Kjellberg (PewDiePie), Felix Frankfurter, Felix Baumgartner, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Felix Salten.
- What Does Felix Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Felix?
- How Popular Is the Name Felix?
- How Do I Pronounce Felix?
- Is Felix a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Felix
- Nicknames for Felix
- Similar Names to Felix
- Middle Names for Felix
- Sibling Names for Felix
- Famous People Named Felix
- Felix in Popular Culture
- Felix FAQs
What Does Felix Mean?
Felix is a name that means “fruitful, happy, blessed, lucky, fortunate” (1). It started as a surname in Rome but became a nickname and then a given name. It is considered an upbeat and energetic name.
The first man that took Felix as a nickname did so because it meant “blessed.” He believed that the gods blessed him and wanted everyone to know it.
What Is the Origin of the Name Felix?
In early Rome, people had three or more names. The third was known as the cognomen and gradually changed from a nickname to a surname. Felix was one of these names, and it is a Latin word that literally translates to “fruitful.”
It is considered a classic name that was relatively common among early Christians due to its meaning. Five popes and over 60 saints in Roman annals were named Felix.
How Popular Is the Name Felix?
Felix is a popular name, rating #193 in 2021 (2). Its popularity has been relatively steady throughout history. Since people began recording name popularity, the peak for the name Felix occurred in 1902. Though its popularity fell some in the intervening years, it has moved up the list since the early 2000s.
How Do I Pronounce Felix?
Felix is pronounced FEE-liks by most English-speaking people, though a few may opt for FAY-leeks or fay-LEEKS instead. The name is found in several countries and may be pronounced differently in German, French, Spanish, and other languages.
Is Felix a Boy or Girl Name?
Felix is a name for boys. Its feminine version is Felicity. The name Felix has been used for boys since Sulla took it as a nickname in Roman history.
Variations of Felix
Felix has a few variations, though none are as popular as the original name.
- Felicia (female)
- Felicity (female)
Nicknames for Felix
Felix began as a nickname itself, but people still give nicknames to people named Felix. Some of these nicknames include Fill, Fee, Lix, Flick, and Fox.
Similar Names to Felix
Similar names to Felix include those that are similar in meaning and those that are similar in sound and spelling.
Names that are similar in sound and spelling include:
Names that are similar in meaning include:
Middle Names for Felix
Felix is a unique name. You can pair it with common names or other unique names. Middle names that people often use with Felix include:
- Felix Alexander
- Felix Dexter
- Felix Franklin
- Felix Isaac
- Felix Kai
- Felix Levi
- Felix Noah
- Felix Otis
- Felix William
- Felix Xavier
Adding a common name to Felix allows the child to choose whether to use his unique name or his more common middle name. Some options include:
- Felix Benjamin
- Felix Cole
- Felix George
- Felix Joshua
- Felix Ryan
- Felix Thomas
- Felix Wesley
- Felix William
This is just a small sampling of the middle names that you can put with Felix.
Sibling Names for Felix
While names can certainly stand alone, most families prefer to have some harmony among the names of their children. Here are some names for siblings that go well with Felix.
Famous People Named Felix
Ever since the first Roman took the nickname Felix, people have used the name both for their children and in literature and media. Celebrities from around the world carry the name Felix.
- Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg: Swedish YouTube personality known as PewDiePie. He has more than 111 million subscribers as of June 2022.
- Felix Baumgartner: Austrian skydiver and BASE jumper.
- Felix Frankfurter: American Supreme Court justice who served in the 1960s.
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy: German composer, conductor, pianist, and organist.
- Felix Nussbaum: German-Jewish artist specializing in surrealism.
- Felix Salten: Austrian author best known for Bambi: a Life in the Woods.
- Felix Trinidad: Puerto Rican professional boxer; he won several world championships.
Felix in Popular Culture
Literature and media have few characters named Felix, but those few are quite well known.
- Felix: a character in Twilight who was a member of the Volturi Guard.
- Felix the Cat: a cute cartoon cat originated in 1919 and became well known in early cartoons. He is probably the Felix best known by most people born before 2000.
- Felix Holt: Titular character in a novel by George Eliot.
- Felix Leiter: a character in James Bond.
- Felix Unger: one of The Odd Couple.
- Fix-It Felix Jr: a character in Disney’s Wreck-It Ralph movie.
Though Felix may not be the most common name out there, there is always interest in it. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Felix.
What Does the Name Felix Mean in the Bible?
The name Felix means happy or prosperous. In the Bible, Felix was the Roman procurator of Judea. The apostle Paul spoke to him several times and was imprisoned by Felix.
Is Felix a Strong Name?
Many consider Felix a name that sounds strong, friendly, and energetic. It fits well with its meaning of “happy.” Many people find it a cheerful name that invokes a smile.
Can You Name a Girl Felix?
There is no rule stating that you cannot name your daughter Felix, but it is more common for a girl to be called Felicity or Felicia. Notably, these names come from the same root as Felix and share the same meaning.