- Meaning: The name Felicity means “happiness”, “contentment”, and “intense happiness” in English.
- Gender: Felicity is typically a name for baby girls.
- Origin: Italian and Latin origin.
- Pronunciation: Felicity is pronounced “Feh-LIHS-ih-Ty” in American English. The name is pronounced as “fuh-LIS-uh-tee” in British English.
- Popularity: Felicity is a popular name that ranks #441 out of 1,000 in the list of United States baby names for girls.
- Variations: Felice, Felicia, Felicidad, Felicita, Felicitas, Felizitas.
- Namesakes: Felicity Abram, Felicity Huffman, Felicity Johnson, Felicity Jones, Felicity Sheedy-Ryan, Felicity Ward.
- What Does Felicity Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Felicity?
- How Popular Is the Name Felicity?
- How Do I Pronounce Felicity?
- Is Felicity a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Felicity
- Nicknames for Felicity
- Similar Names to Felicity
- Middle Names for Felicity
- Sibling Names for Felicity
- Famous People Named Felicity
- Felicity in Popular Culture
- Felicity FAQs
What Does Felicity Mean?
The name Felicity means “happiness” or “contentment” in English. It can also mean “intense happiness” in the same language.
Felicity goes as far back as the 2nd century because of the name Felicitas. This woman was born into slavery in the Roman province of modern-day Northern Africa.
Saint Perpetua and Saint Felicitas became famous in medieval culture. Both converted to Christians at a time when doing so would have the consequence of death. The community discovered their conversion.
Perpetua and Felicitas were both executed despite being mothers. Perpetua was nursing her newborn at the time. Felicitas had to wait to give birth because it was against the law to put a pregnant woman at the execution stake.
Because of this famous piece of history, Puritans considered Felicity as a virtue name like Hope and Faith. The name was prominent during the Protestant Reformation near the 17th century.
What Is the Origin of the Name Felicity?
Felicity is a name of Latin origin that means “happiness”. The Latin word, Felicitas, which means “good fortune” is where this name’s origin. The overall meaning derives from the ancient Roman goddess named Fortuna. She is the goddess of good fortune and is the epitome of good luck.
How Popular Is the Name Felicity?
Felicity is a popular name. The most popular year ranking-wise for the name Felicity was 2017 at #345 out of 1,000. As of 2021, Felicity ranks at #441 out of the top 1,000 baby girl names in the United States. (1)
It hit the top 1,000 girl names chart in 1998 at #818 out of 1,000. The name may have become popular and hit the top 1,000 charts because of a hit television show released in 1998, “Felicity”.
How Do I Pronounce Felicity?
The name Felicity is usually pronounced “Feh-LIHS-is-Ty” for American English. For British English, you pronounce Felicity as “fuh-LIS-uh-tee”.
Is Felicity a Boy or Girl Name?
Felicity is a name for baby girls. There is name ranking information about Felicity only for infant girls.
The Social Security Administration does not have information about Felicity as a boy name. The male version of Felicity is Felix.
Variations of Felicity
Felicity has many name variations stemming primarily from Italian and Latin and other origins sprinkled in the list. Here are the variations of Felicity:
- Felice (English, Italian, and Latin)
- Felicia (Greek and Latin)
- Felicidad (Spanish)
- Felicita (Italian)
- Felicitas (Latin)
- Felizitas (German)
Nicknames for Felicity
Felicity is a longer name, which will make it easier to come up with nicknames. Try these beautiful nicknames for your little girl named Felicity.
Similar Names to Felicity
When looking at similar names to Felicity, you may want to look for ones that sound like it or have the same meaning. Refer to the list below to find a name like Felicity:
Middle Names for Felicity
Felicity is a name evoking positive emotion that can pair well with shorter middle names or those of about the same length. Here are some middle names for Felicity:
Sibling Names for Felicity
If you have a girl named Felicity already, it is time to pick a sibling name that will complement Felicity well. Here are some suggestions for sibling names for a brother and a sister.
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Felicity
Not many famous people are named Felicity in America. The main famous person with this name is Felicity Huffman. Most of the famous people with the name Felicity live in Australia.
- Felicity Abram: Australian professional triathlete.
- Felicity Huffman: American actress.
- Felicity Johnson: Australian Paralympic tandem cyclist.
- Felicity Jones: English actress.
- Felicity Sheedy-Ryan: Australian professional triathlete.
- Felicity Ward: Australian comedian.
Felicity in Popular Culture
Felicity has a balance of showing up in different segments of popular culture including books, toys, songs, movies, comics, and television shows.
- “Felicity”: A song by the Alternative/Indie band, Orange Juice.
- Felicity Merriman: Doll in the American Girl series was released in 1991.
- Felicity Shagwell: “Austin Powers” movie character.
- Felicity Smoak: Character in DC Comics.
- Felicity Porter: The main character from the 1998 television series, “Felicity”.
- Felicity Worthington: Character in the “Gemma Doyle Trilogy” by Libba Bray.
While you weigh your options to see if you want to name your little girl Felicity or another name, we imagine you may still have some questions.
What Country Is Felicity From?
Felicity is primarily from Rome originally as a surname. Marcus Antonius Felix was well-known throughout the Kingdom of Italy’s capital because he decreased the many robbers that plagued the area.
Is Felicity an Irish Name?
Is Felicity a Pretty Name?
Felicity is a name prominent during the Victorian era and has gained popularity in America since then. In Ancient Rome, Felicity is a woman from their history mentioned at every Sunday Mass. The sound of the name, the fancy spelling, and the delightful meaning behind it make Felicity a pretty name.