- Meaning: “Robin” comes from the masculine name “Robert,” which means “fame” and “bright.”
- Gender: Robin is a gender-neutral name.
- Origin: The name Robin is of French and German origin.
- Pronunciation: “RAA-bin”
- Popularity: Robin has consistently ranked in the top 1000 names for both boys and girls.
- Nicknames: Ro, Rob, Robby, Robby-Bobby, Ro-Ro.
- Variations: Robben, Robbin, Robbyn, Robene, Robine, Robyn, Robyne, Robynne.
- Namesakes: Robin (Batman), Robin Goodfellow, Robin Hood.
- What Does Robin Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Robin?
- How Popular Is the Name Robin?
- How Do I Pronounce Robin?
- Is Robin a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Robin
- Nicknames for Robin
- Similar Names to Robin
- Middle Names for Robin
- Sibling Names for Robin
- Famous People Named Robin
- Robin in Popular Culture
- Robin FAQs
What Does Robin Mean?
“Robin” is a given name derived from the masculine “Robert,” which utilizes the Old Germanic roots hrod and berht, meaning “fame” and “bright,” respectively.
What Is the Origin of the Name Robin?
The name Robin is of French and German origin. This variation of “Robert,” which derives from Old Germanic, includes a French suffix, “-in.”
How Popular Is the Name Robin?
Robin is usually more popular as a girl’s name, but it also remains a popular name for boys. In the 1990s, Robin was the 325th most popular name for girls and the 693rd most popular name for boys in the United States.
However, Robin is more popular in the United Kingdom as a boy’s name. In 2014, 88% of Robins born in England were boys.
How Do I Pronounce Robin?
You pronounce the name Robin as “RAA-bin.”
Is Robin a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Robin is a gender-neutral name, so you can give it to a boy or a girl.
Variations of Robin
If you do not like the traditional spelling of Robin, you can put a spin on it in a few other ways, like these:
- Robben: French, meaning “famous and bright.”
- Robbin: English, meaning “bright and shining.”
- Robbyn: French, meaning “a flame that burns brightly.”
- Robene: English, meaning “bright flame.”
- Robine: French, meaning “shining glory.”
- Robyn: English, meaning “bright.”
- Robyne: English, meaning “red beauty.”
- Robynne: German, meaning “red beauty.”
Nicknames for Robin
Robin is a sweet and simple name, and the proper nickname can make it even sweeter! Consider some of the following nicknames for your child:
Similar Names to Robin
While we have discussed a few international variations of Robin, there are also some variations with similar meanings or sounds you might want to consider, like:
Middle Names for Robin
Gender-neutral names like Robin make choosing a middle name a lot more fun. However, since Robin is more popular as a girl’s name, we will focus on finding good middle names for your little girl.
Sibling Names for Robin
Just in case your Robin becomes one member of a sibling group, here are a few names you can try out.
For a girl:
For a boy:
Famous People Named Robin
Robin might be a simple name, but it has several memorable examples! Some famous Robins you may know might include:
- Robin Antin: American music video director and creator of the hip-hop/R&B group Pussycat Dolls.
- Robin Brockway: British actor.
- Robin Bush: British historian.
- Robin Chase: founder of Zipcar.
- Robin Cook: American doctor and novelist.
- Robin Cousins: British Olympics figure skater.
- Robin Finck: guitarist for Guns N’ Roses and Nine Inch Nails.
- Robin Gibb: amember of the Bee Gees.
- Robin Leach: host of the American TV series Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
- Robin Moore: American writer.
- Robin Roberts: American newscaster and author.
- Robin Tunney: Irish-American actress.
- Robin Williams: American actor.
- Robin Windsor: British Latin and Ballroom dancer.
- Robin Wright: American actress.
- Robin Zander: lead vocalist and guitarist for the American rock band Cheap Trick.
Robin in Popular Culture
You may also know a few Robins from movies and TV, such as the following:
- Robin: Batman’s sidekick from DC comics.
- Robin: the player character and protagonist from the video game Fire Emblem Awakening.
- Robin: a character from the video game Stardew Valley.
- Robin Buckley: a character from the Netflix sci-fi/fantasy series Stranger Things.
- Robin the Frog: the nephew of Kermit the Frog from The Muppets.
- Robin Goodfellow: a pseudonym for the folklore character Puck from William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Robin Griffin: the main character from the British TV drama series Top of the Lake
- Robin Hood: a legendary English outlaw.
- Robin Oakapple: the main character from the Gilbert & Sullivan opera Ruddigore.
- Robin Scherbatsky: a character from the American TV sitcom How I Met Your Mother.
- Robin Scorpio-Drake: a doctor character from the American soap opera General Hospital.
- Robin Sena: the main character from the anime Witch Hunter Robin.
- Robyn Miller: a character from the British TV series Casualty.
We have covered a ton of information about the name Robi, but you might still have questions about the name. Let’s see if we can answer them!