- Meaning: The name Alicia means noble or honorable kind.
- Gender: Alicia is most often used as a female name.
- Origin: The name Alicia is a Spanish name that stems from the German name Alice.
- Pronunciation: “ah-LIHS-ah”, “ah-LIHS-Yah”, “ah-LIH-SH-ah”, or “ah-LIY-SHah”
- Popularity: The name Alicia has risen to popularity several times since 1880, peaking in the 1980s and remaining fairly popular today.
- Nicknames: Al, Allie, Ally, Leesy, Leesha, Lyss
- Variations: Adelaide, Adelheid, Alesia, Alice, Alicio, Alishia, Alisha
- Namesakes: Alicia Keys, Alicia Witt, Alicia Fox.
- What Does Alicia Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Alicia?
- How Popular is the Name Alicia?
- How Do I Pronounce Alicia?
- Is Alicia a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Alicia
- Nicknames for Alicia
- Similar Names to Alicia
- Middle Names for Alicia
- Sibling Names for Alicia
- Famous People Named Alicia
- Alicia in Popular Culture
- Alicia FAQs
What Does Alicia Mean?
You can break up the name Alicia into two root words: adal and heit. Adal means noble or honorable, while heit means kind or type. When the two words come together to form Alicia, the complete meaning is of a noble kind or honorable type.
What is the Origin of the Name Alicia?
Alicia is the Latinized version of the German name Alice and eventually became Alicia during the 19th century. Since then, the name has seen many unique variations, such as Alisha, Aleesha, and Alyssa.
How Popular is the Name Alicia?
Alicia has proven itself to be a trendy name in the United States. The name has twice ranked in the top 10 most popular names for girls since the late 1800s and has also sat in the top 100 most popular names for girls nearly 30 times.
Alicia reached its highest level of popularity in 1983. During this year, the name’s popularity skyrocketed by 135 percent, and almost 8,000 babies received the name. The name’s latest ranking was 758, making it still fairly popular.
However, it is outranked by other variations, including Alice and Alexis (2).
How Do I Pronounce Alicia?
Alicia can have several different pronunciations depending on individual preference. It is often pronounced ah-LIHS-ah or ah-LIHS-Yah, but it can also sometimes be pronounced as ah-LIH-SH-ah or ah-LIY-SHah.
Is Alicia a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Alicia is known as a feminine name and is most commonly used for girls. In the United States, 99.69 percent of people named Alicia were girls, while less than 1 percent were boys.
There have been over 220,000 girls named Alicia and just 707 boys with the same name, making it a highly female-dominated title.
Variations of Alicia
There are many different variations of the name Alicia. Lots of these names stem from different cultural origins, such as the following:
- Adelaide (Italian, English)
- Adelheid (Dutch, German, Scandinavian)
- Alesia (Latin)
- Alice (German)
- Alicio (Spanish)
Nicknames for Alicia
When you consider a name for a child, it’s a good idea to think about some possible nicknames you might be able to use, such as the following:
Similar Names to Alicia
If you like the name Alicia, you might also like one of these similar names. Some are similar in sound and appearance, while others have similar meanings:
Middle Names for Alicia
Middle names are not necessary, but they do make things more fun and interesting. Consider one of these middle names to go with the name Alicia:
Sibling Names for Alicia
Whether you’re planning on having more kids or want to check out possible ideas just in case, here are some boys’ and girls’ names that go well with the name Alicia:
Famous People Named Alicia
Sharing a name with a famous person can be a fun fact about your life. Consider these celebrities who all have the first name Alicia:
- Alicia Aylies: French model
- Alicia Fox: American model and professional wrestler
- Alicia Keys: American R&B singer
- Alicia Machado: Former Miss Universe and Miss Venezuela
- Alicia von Rittberg: German actress
- Alicia Silverstone: American actress
- Alicia Vikander: Swedish actress and dancer
- Alicia Witt: American actress
Alicia in Popular Culture
Just as there are several celebrities with the name Alicia, so there are plenty of references to the title in popular culture:
- Alicia Abshire: Character from the film The Time Traveler’s Wife
- Alicia Alcott: Character from the series All About Us
- Alicia Baker: Character from the TV series Smallville
- Alicia Florrick: Protagonist from the series The Good Wife
- Alicia Masters: Character from Marvel Comics
- Alicia: Protagonist from the videogame Bullet Witch
- Alicia: Character from the film School of Rock
If you’re looking for more information about the name Alicia, you can try checking out some of our frequently asked questions below.
Is Alicia a Spanish Name?
Yes, Alicia is traditionally a Spanish name. It is the Spanish version of the name Alice, which comes from German tradition.
Is Alicia a Religious Name?
What Are Some Symbols that Belong to the Name Alicia?
There are several different symbols associated with the name Alicia. The name color for Alicia is pink, which signifies intimacy and sweetness. The name Alicia has five lucky numbers: 6, 8, 14, 21, and 40. Alicia’s spirit animal is a koala, and the name’s lucky gemstone is the Lapis Lazuli.