- Meaning: Winner, conqueror.
- Gender: Masculine.
- Origin: Latin, Ancient Rome.
- Pronunciation: “vik-TOR”
- Popularity: FairlyPopular.
- Nicknames: Vic, Vick, Vicky, Vickie.
- Variations: Viktor, Viktoras, Vittorio, Vittore, Wiktor, Vitor.
- Namesakes: Victor Hugo, Victor Garber, King Victor Emmanuel II, Saint Victor of Marseilles.
- What Does Victor Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Victor?
- How Popular is the Name Victor?
- How Do I Pronounce Victor?
- Is Victor a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Victor
- Nicknames for Victor
- Similar Names to Victor
- Middle Names for Victor
- Sibling Names for Victor
- Famous People Named Victor
- Victor in Popular Culture
- Victor FAQs
What Does Victor Mean?
The name Victor means “winner” or “conqueror” (1).
It’s a permutation of the Latin “victoriam,” meaning “victory,” and “victoris,” meaning “victor.”
What is the Origin of the Name Victor?
The name Victor originates from Latin.
Latin was the official language of the Roman Empire, which lasted from 27 BC to 476 AD. The name was a popular choice for early Christians and featured several permutations, including Vittorio and Viktor.
How Popular is the Name Victor?
Victor was a relatively popular name in early Christian communities living in Ancient Rome. However, it didn’t spread throughout English-speaking communities during the Middle Ages. Its permutation, Vittorio, was reasonably popular in Italy after the fall of the Roman Empire.
But ‘Victor’ wouldn’t become popular in the United Kingdom or the United States until Queen Victoria of England’s reign. After Queen Victoria’s coronation in 1838, the feminine version of Victor (Victoria) ranked within the top 200 most popular names in England.
By the 1880s, the masculine Victor was also within the top 200 most popular names, both in England and the United States.
At present, Victor has fallen from the top 200 in the United States and England (2). However, it’s within the top 100 most popular masculine names in France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, and Belgium.
How Do I Pronounce Victor?
The name Victor is pronounced “vik-TOR,” “vik-TUR,” “veek-TOR,” and “veek-TUR,” depending on your native language.
Is Victor a Boy or Girl Name?
Victor is commonly used as a boy name due to its masculine origin and associations. However, it was partially popularized as a male name by Saint Victor of Marseilles.
It became a popular English boy’s name in the 1800s, during the reign of Queen Victoria, as it was the masculine form of the queen’s name. While it can be used as a girl’s name, very few girls are named Victor, with most parents preferring the feminine version, Victoria.
Variations of Victor
There are several variations of the name Victor, many of them regional. These include:
- Viktor (Albania, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, the Netherlands, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Estonia, Mongolia, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Sweden)
- Viktoras (Greece, Lithuania)
- Vittorio (Italy)
- Vittore (Italy)
- Vittorino (Italy)
- Wiktor (Poland)
- Vitor (Portugal, Brazil)
Nicknames for Victor
The most common nicknames for the name Victor include:
Similar Names to Victor
Those looking for names similar to Victor may want to choose other classic Latin boy names or names popular during the Victorian Era, including:
Middle Names for Victor
If you’re looking for a suitable middle name to pair with the first name Victor, you may want to consider:
Sibling Names for Victor
There are quite a few names that pair well with Victor, making them top-notch sibling names. Some of the best examples include:
Famous People Named Victor
There are several famous people with the first name Victor, including:
- Pope Victor I: Reigned as pope, potentially from 189 to 199 AD.
- Victor Borge: A Danish-American pianist and comedian popular between 1930 and 1960.
- Victor Emmanuel II: The king of Sardinia and Italy during the 1800s.
- Victor Garber: A Canadian actor, known for his roles in Titanic (1997) and Annie (1999).
- Víctor González: A YouTube creator from Mexico.
- Victor Gwinner: A TikTok personality and creator primarily known for lip-syncing videos.
- Victor Hugo: A French writer famous for writing Les Miserables.
- Victor Lindelöf: A Swedish soccer player who plays for Manchester United.
- Victor of Marseilles: The patron saint of cabinetmakers. Died in 290 AD.
- Victor Pool: A DJ who is known for producing remixes and songs like “Astronomia” and “Nevada.”
- Victor Webster: A Candian actor who has portrayed various characters, but who is best known for playing Nicholas Alamain in the soap opera Days of Our Lives.
Victor in Popular Culture
The name Victor has made several appearances in popular culture, including:
- Victor Frankenstein: The main character and protagonist of the Frankenstein novel written by Mary Shelley. Portrayed by several actors in film adaptations, including James McAvoy, Kenneth Branagh, and Gene Wilder.
- Victor Von Doom: A supervillain in the Fantastic Four comic series.
- Viktor Krum: A Bulgarian wizard and athlete in the Harry Potter book and film series. Portrayed by Stanislav Ianevski.
- Victor Creed: The given name of Sabretooth, a character in the X-Men series. Portrayed by Liev Schreiber in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- Victor Fries: The given name of Mr. Freeze, an antagonist in the Batman comic book series and the Batman & Robin film. Portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenneger.
- Viktor Hargreeves: The founder of the Umbrella Academy. Non-biological father of the Umbrella Academy students.
- Victor Shade: The nickname of the fictional Marvel character, Vision. Portrayed by Paul Bettany.
- Vic Mackey: A fictional detective in the FX series, The Shield. Michael Chiklis portrays him.
- Victor Borkowski: A mutant with a lizard-like appearance in the X-Men comic book off-shoot, New Mutants.
- Victor Baxter: The father in the That’s So Raven television show.
- Viktor: The leader of the vampires in the Underworld film series. Bill Nighy plays this character.
Below, you’ll find some of the most frequently asked questions about the name Victor.
What Is the Personality of the Name Victor?
The name Victor is often associated with several personality traits, including emotional resilience, loyalty, protectiveness, and competitiveness.
What Does the Name Victor Mean in Hebrew?
The name Victor is a permutation of the Hebrew boy’s name Avigdor, meaning Avi Gedor (Gedor’s father). Gedor is a city in Judah.
Is Viktor German?
The name Viktor is the Germanic form of the Latin name Victor.
Is Victor a Rare Name?
Victor isn’t a rare name, though it’s become less popular in English-speaking countries over the last century.