- Meaning: The name Camila can either mean an attendant at a religious ceremony or simply “perfect.”
- Gender: Camila is mainly used as a female name, with over 99 percent of people with the name being girls.
- Origin: The name Camila comes from Latin origin.
- Pronunciation: “Ka-mEE-la”
- Popularity: Camila is a very popular name in the United States and is the number 3 C name for females.
- Nicknames: Cam, Cammers, Cami, Mila, Millie Lala
- Variations: Camilla, Camille, Camellia, Kamala, Mila
- Namesakes: Camila Cabello, Cuban-American singer-songwriter; Camila Mendes, Brazilian-American actress
What Does Camila Mean?
The name Camila comes from various backgrounds, which gives different name meanings.
For example, in Latin, the name Camila translates to an attendant at a religious ceremony and was expressly used to refer to a person of youth who served as an attendant in rituals in ancient Rome.
However, it also means the word perfect.
What is the Origin of the Name Camila?
Camillus was originally a hereditary clan name that turned into male and female versions, Camillo and Camilla, respectively.
How Popular is the Name Camila?
The name Camila has been recorded in use in the United States since 1880. The highest ranking in popularity that the name ever reached was in the top 100 most popular names. Camila has made it on this list 13 different times through time.
Camila is also very popular among girls’ names that start with the letter C. In fact, it sits high at the number three top girl’s name that starts with C. Overall, it is still very popular today.
How Do I Pronounce Camila?
Camila is pronounced “Ka-mEE-la” or “Kuh-mil-uh.”
Another less popular pronunciation of Camile is “cam-ila.”
Is Camila a Boy or Girl Name?
Camila is widely recognized as a girl’s name. Reports show that 99.89 percent of people with the name Camila are female, while only 0.11 percent are male. There have been almost 80,000 females named Camila in the United States and fewer than 100 males.
The name Camila does have a masculine version, which is Camillo. This name is not widely popular, but all recorded uses have been for boys.
Variations of Camila
Because so many cultures borrowed from the Latin origin for Camila, there are also several variations. A few popular variations include the ones below:
- Camilla (Latin)
- Camille (Latin)
- Camellia (Latin)
- Kamala (Hindi)
- Kamela (Slavic)
- Kamilla (Latin, Slavic)
- Kamille (Latin, Slavic)
- Mila (Latin, Italian)
Nicknames for Camila
Whenever you are considering using a specific name, it’s a good idea to think about any possible nicknames you could use for it. Here are some nicknames for Camila:
Middle Names for Camila
While middle names are not necessary, they can be loads of fun and seem to make a name complete. These middles names sound great with Camila:
Sibling Names for Camila
If you’re considering having more than one child, it’s a good idea to look at some names that sound good for siblings:
Famous People Named Camila
It’s always fun to know that you share a name with a celebrity. Here are a few famous people named Camila:
- Camila Alves: Brazilian-American model and designer.
- Camila Cabello: Cuban-American singer-songwriter.
- Camila Mendes: Brazilian-American actress.
- Camila Pitanga: Brazilian film and television actress.
- Camila Silva: Chilean tennis player.
- Camilla Belle: American actress.
- Camilla Poindexter: American reality television personality and model.
- Princess Camilla: Duchess of Castro.
Camila in Popular Culture
The name Camila isn’t super prevalent in popular culture, but there are a few references:
- Camilla: Muppet character.
- Camilla: Dracula’s servant in Castlevania.
- Camilla: Unpictured character in One Tree Hill.
- Camilla “Cam” Lawson: Character in The Story of Tracy Beaker.
- Camila Vargas: Character in Queen of the South.
If you’re interested in learning a little more about the name Camila, take a look at some of our frequently asked questions.
Is Camila a Religious Name?
While the name Camila does not appear in the Bible or religious text, it’s often viewed as a religious name due to its origin and meaning. Because the name translates to a young, religious servant, it can have religious meaning and value to it.
How Many People Are Named Camila?
There are currently about 38,792 people named Camila. The name is most often used as a first name, and databases show that it is used as a girl’s name 100 percent of the time. For every 100,000 Americans, about 0.85 people are named Camila.
What Are Some Personality Traits of People Named Camila?
People with the given name Camila are often powerful, enthusiastic, expressive, and cheerful. They can be very emotional and tend to be super artistic and creative.
Women with the name Camila are often very joyful with infectious smiles and personalities. They love to converse with others and are rarely short on words. They are bright and passionate and very likable people.
The lucky gems of the name Camila are garnet and amethyst, and the lucky colors include various shades of purple. Camila’s lucky day is Wednesday.