- Meaning: The name Violet means the color purple.
- Gender: Violet is almost exclusively used as a name for girls. It is rare for boys to be named Violet.
- Origin: The name Violet has its origins in both Latin and French.F
- Pronunciation: Violet is pronounced phonetically. You pronounce Violet as “VIY-o-let.”
- Popularity: Currently, Violet is one of the most popular names for girls in the United States.
- Nicknames: Letty, Olly, Vee, Vi, Vio, Voe.
- Variations: Viola, Violetta, Violette, Wiola, Wiolette.
- Namesakes: Violet Aitkin, Violet Barclay, Violet Brunton, Violet Cameron, Violet Hopkins, Violet Milstead, Violet Mount, Violet Powel.
- What Does Violet Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Violet?
- How Popular Is the Name Violet?
- How Do I Pronounce Violet?
- Is Violet a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Violet
- Nicknames for Violet
- Similar Names to Violet
- Middle Names for Violet
- Sibling Names for Violet
- Famous People Named Violet
- Violet in Popular Culture
- Violet FAQs
What Does Violet Mean?
There are several plants and flowers with the word violet in the name. If you chose the name Violet, it can be tied to any of these flowers. The word’s root meaning remains “purple” across all Latin-influenced languages.
What Is the Origin of the Name Violet?
Violet is a name with late Latin origins. In Latin, the word “viola” means purple. The French adopted the word viola from Latin and changed the pronunciation to Violette. The French were the first to use Violette as a name.
How Popular Is the Name Violet?
The name Violet has experienced a recent resurgence in popularity. According to the Social Security Administration, Violet was the 35th most popular name for girls in 2021 (2).
Violet was very popular in the early 1900s. Its popularity declined, reaching its lowest point in the 1980s. Since the 80s, the use of the name Violet has grown.
Other countries use variations of the name Violet. In France, Violette is a popular name. Spanish-speaking nations use the variation Viola or Violetta.
How Do I Pronounce Violet?
Latin words are pronounced as they are written. The name Violet is phonetic. You pronounce Violet as “VIY-o-let.”
Is Violet a Boy or Girl Name?
Violet is almost exclusively a name for girls. There are no male variations of the name Violet.
Variations of Violet
Thanks to its age and popularity, the name Violet has many variations across the world:
- Viola (Spanish)
- Violetta (Dutch)
- Violette (French)
- Wiola (Russian)
- Wiolette (Polish)
Nicknames for Violet
Violet is a classic girl’s name. Classic names tend to sound more formal. Because of this, several nicknames give Violet a more casual feel. Here are popular nicknames for the name Violet:
Similar Names to Violet
The name Violet has existed for centuries. It is a traditional name that can feel a little formal. If you are looking for alternatives to Violet, consider the following:
Middle Names for Violet
The name Violet is an uncomplicated three-syllable name. It sounds best next to names that are classic and simple.
Below are some middle names that pair well with the first name Violet:
Sibling Names for Violet
Violet pairs best with traditional sibling names. The name Violet is gentle and sounds best next to other names of Latin origin.
Here are some suggestions of sibling names that sound great with Violet:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Violet
Violet is a name that spans centuries. Because it has been used for many years, several famous people have the name Violet.
A few of the most notable Violets throughout history are listed below:
- Violet Aitkin: British suffragette.
- Violet Barclay: American illustrator.
- Violet Brunton: English artist.
- Violet Cameron: English actress.
- Violet Hopkins: American painter.
- Violet Milstead: Canadian aviator.
- Violet Mount: Australian singer.
- Violet Powel: British writer.
Violet in Popular Culture
The name Violet has been used throughout popular culture across all mediums. You will find characters named Violet in many different TV shows and books.
Below are a few examples of the name Violet being used for characters in popular culture:
- Violet: Character from the Pokemon TV series.
- Violet Crawley: Character from the TV series “Downton Abbey.”
- Violet Finn: Character from the TV series “General Hospital.”
- Violet Turner: Character from the TV series “Private Practice.”
- Violet Weiler: Character from the novel “Ellis Island.”
Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions about the name Violet: