- Meaning: Vera means “faith or truth.”
- Gender: Vera is traditionally a girl’s name.
- Origin: Vera originated in Russia and the Slavic languages.
- Pronunciation: “VEE-ruh.”
- Popularity: Not a very popular name.
- Nicknames: Vee, Vivi, Veer, Rara.
- Variations: Veera, Vira, Vyra, Varia, Varya, Vara.
- Namesakes: Vera Wang, fashion designer.
Vera Name Meaning
Vera is a Slavic word meaning “truth” or “faithful”. The name Vera, therefore, means truthful, honest, or faithful.
Although Vera first became popular through Russian and Slavic uses of the word meaning true, it originally comes from Latin roots. The Latin word “ver” means “truth.” Latin is a mother language, and we can see the effects of this word in English words like verdict, very, and veracity. Russian and Slavic languages used “vera” to mean “true.”
Although it peaked in the early 1900s, Vera later dropped down and until 2009, it wasn’t within the list of 1000 most popular names. However, this name has begun to creep back up during the 2010s and 2020s.
Vera is usually pronounced “VEE-ruh.” Although some European and British pronunciations are different, the most popular version is with an elongated E vowel. British pronunciation might sound more like “VAIR-uh.”
Vera is traditionally a girl’s name. There have been very few baby boys named Vera, although it has occasionally happened. Because an A vowel on the end of a name typically implies female gender, Vera has almost always been a girl’s name.
Vera is a specific word with a certain meaning. Because of this, it doesn’t have many variations. However, the various European and Slavic languages have produced some diverse spellings and pronunciations. Here are a few of them.
Vera is a pretty short name to make into a nickname. However, diminutive names and nicknames can happen with any name, and this is no exception. Here are some popular nicknames for Vera:
- Verica (Danish)
- Vishka (Russian)
Vera is a pretty unique name, so it’s difficult to find similar names. Here are some names we found that are similar in quality to Vera.
If you’re considering Vera as a first name, you need the perfect middle name. Here are some suggestions for middle names that go with Vera. Of course, the choice is yours in the end–it depends totally on your last name.
Vera is a lovely, unique name. If you are looking for names that go well with Vera, consider these old-fashioned names that work well with Vera.
The two most notable famous namesakes, of course, are fashion and design icons Vera Wang and Vera Bradley. However, there are plenty of other Veras out there; here are just a few celebrities that share the name.
- Vera Bradley: fashion designer.
- Vera Dushevina: tennis star.
- VeraFarmiga: actress.
- Vera Hall: folk singer.
- Vera Jordanova: model and influencer.
- Vera Lynn: singer.
- Vera Miles: actress.
- Vera Nabakov: wife and editor to author Vladimir Nabakov.
- Vera Rubin: astronomer.
- Vera Wang: fashion designer.
- Vera Williams: children’s author.
Because Vera isn’t a popular name, it doesn’t show up as much in literature, movies, or television. However, you can occasionally find it. If you’re looking for characters that have the same name as your daughter, here’s a brief list!
- “Vera”: a song by Pink Floyd.
- Vera Stanhope: from book series and BBC TV “Vera.”
- Vera: a character from Leo Tolstoy’s novel War and Peace.
- Vera Claythorne: from Agatha Christie’s novel “And Then There Were None.”
- Vera Drake: the title character from the 2004 movie.
- Vera Sweet: from DC Comics.
- Vera Peterson: from the TV show Cheers.
- Vera Duckworth: from the TV show Coronation Street.
- Vera Nair: a character from the video game Identity V.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the name Vera. We hope they answer yours!