- Meaning: Mira means “female ruler”, “ocean”, “admirable”, “peace”, and many other meanings.
- Gender: Mira is typically a feminine name.
- Origin: The name Mira has multiple origins, including Spanish, Arabic, Sanskrit, Latin, and Slavic.
- Pronunciation: “MIH-rah” or “MYE-ruh”
- Popularity: Mira is a popular name in the United States, ranking at 484 out of the 1,000 top baby names for girls in 2021.
- Nicknames: Mimi, Myr, Myru, Rah, Rah Rah, Rara, and Ray.
- Variations: Mirah, Mirra, Myra, Myrra, and Myrrha.
- Namesakes: Mira Dancy, Mira Gonzalez, Mira Furlan, Mira Lehr, Mira Sorvino.
What Does Mira Mean?
The name Mira has a variety of meanings, such as “female ruler”, “peace”, “admirable”, and “ocean.” In Latin, it comes from “mirabilis” (“wonderful”) or “admirari” (“wonder”).
Mira is also Albanian for “kindness” or “goodness.” Another meaning, “ocean,” comes from Sanskrit. That origin also leads to the translations “sea”, “boundary”, or “limit.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Mira?
The Greek meaning of Mira comes from “myrrh.” It is a fragrant material derived from a tree used to make medicines and perfumes. In the Hebrew Bible, myrrh was anointing oil to symbolize the death of self and rebirth to a life devoted to the Lord.
Another source is Sanskrit, with the 16th Century Hindu saint and princess Mirabai being a prominent influence. She worshiped Krishna, the eighth avatar of the deity named Vishnu, and was also a poet that had her works turned into songs (2).
Elsewhere, Mira can also come from Japanese, meaning “truth” or “reality.” You will see many characters named in various Japanese anime.
How Popular Is the Name Mira?
Mira is a popular name in the United States. In 2021, it ranked 484 out of the top 1,000 baby names for girls (3).
The name hit the top list in 2001 at 969. It fell off the list in 2002 but returned in 2003. Mira continues to be one of the highest-ranking names for baby girls in the United States since then. Its best performing year was at the 454th position in 2019.
How Do I Pronounce Mira?
Mira is pronounced by saying “MIH-rah.” However, parents may prefer the pronunciation of “MYE-ruh” instead.
Is Mira a Boy or Girl Name?
In the United States, Mira is a name for baby girls. It is not common enough for boys to have ranking records from the Social Security Administration. However, in Slavic countries, it is often a diminutive of Miroslava, the feminine equivalent of Miroslav.
Variations of Mira
Despite Mira being a four-letter name, there are beautifully-spelled variations to customize it and give it a different twist. These reflect how widespread the name is, and include:
- Mirah (Arabic)
- Mirra (Italian)
- Myra (Greek, Latin, Arabic, and Hebrew)
- Myrra (Latin)
- Myrrha (Greek and Latin)
Nicknames for Mira
While it is a short name, there are various nicknames that you can call your little girl named Mira. Here are some of the most endearing options:
- Rah Rah
Similar Names to Mira
Mira is a charming and energetic name for a little girl, but there are many similar names to consider:
Middle Names for Mira
Because Mira is a shorter given name, longer middle names complement it for a better flow. The following have a similar elegance and are excellent choices to match it:
Sibling Names for Mira
If you have a baby named Mira already, it is time to find the best name for their sibling. Several start with the letter “M,” if you’re looking to go with a theme:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Mira
If you name your baby Mira, they will have namesakes associated with many famous people. Some of the most significant namesakes worthy of a mention include:
- Mira Dancy: American painter.
- Mira Gonzalez: American poet.
- Mira Furlan: Croatian actress best known for her role as Ambassador Delenn in the sci-fi television series “Babylon 5.”
- Mira Lehr: American multimedia artist.
- Mira Nair: Indian-American movie director.
- Mira Nakashima: Japanese-American furniture maker and architect.
- Mira Sorvino: American actress known for roles including “Norma Jean and Marilyn” and “Barcelona.”
- Mira W: Indonesian author.
- Mira Ziminska: Polish actress.
Mira in Popular Culture
Mira is a popular name even in works of fiction, with appearances as diverse as anime characters, Disney :
- Mira: Character from the video game “Animal Crossing New Leaf.”
- Mira: Fictional protagonist in the Disney Junior show, “Mira, Royal Detective.”
- Mira Ackerman: Character from the Japanese anime “Godannar.”
- Mira Nova: Fictional supporting character from the cartoon “Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.”
- Mira Yamana: Character from the Japanese manga “Trinity Seven.”
Mira has astounding origins from diverse cultures. While contemplating whether Mira is the best baby name for your little one, here are some answers to your frequently asked questions.
Does the Name Mira Appear in the Bible?
One of the similar names for Mira shown in the Hebrew Bible is Marah (“מָרָה”). In Hebrew, the name means “bitter.” It is also the name of a location that the Israelites travel through during the book of Exodus.
Is Mira an Italian Name?
Mira is the feminine version of the Italian male name, Miro. It derives from the Latin word “mirus,” which means “marvelous” or “wonderful.”
What Does Mira Mean in Gaelic?
Mira also has Gaelic roots that mean “filled with mirth” or “merry.” In this context, Mira was also the name of a habitational area in Galicia.