- Meaning: The name Melanie means “blackness” and “dark.”
- Gender: People most commonly give the name Melanieto female babies.
- Origin: Melanie has Latin roots.
- Pronunciation: “MEL-uh-nee.”
- Popularity: The name Melanie is popular in the United States.
- Nicknames: Elle, Laney, Mel, Mela, Mellie, Melly, Mila.
- Variations: Melani, Melania, Melanee, Melaneigh, Melaney, Melvin.
- Namesakes: Mélanie Bernier, Melanie Klein, Melanie Martinez.
- What Does Melanie Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Melanie?
- How Popular Is the Name Melanie?
- How Do I Pronounce Melanie?
- Is Melanie a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Melanie
- Nicknames for Melanie
- Similar Names to Melanie
- Middle Names for Melanie
- Sibling Names for Melanie
- Famous People Named Melanie
- Melanie in Popular Culture
- Melanie FAQs
What Does Melanie Mean?
The name Melanie means “blackness” and “dark.” These meanings come from the Greek words “μελανία (Melania)” and “μέλας (Melas),” meaning the same (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Melanie?
Melanie comes from Latin origins, emerging onto the scene from the two saints, “Melania the Elder” and her granddaughter “Melania the Younger.”
From that point, the name was popular in religious communities. The French began to use it commonly, which made its way to England when the Normans brought it over.
How Popular Is the Name Melanie?
The name Melanie is popular in the United States, and it significantly increased in popularity when Margaret Mitchell released Gone With the Wind. The book introduced Melanie Hamilton, one of its most famous characters, and Hollywood would later release a film based on the book.
From 1936’s Gone With the Wind release, the name increased in popularity until the 1970s. Melanie reached the 80th most popular name position for women in the 50s and has stayed there ever since. The name’s popularity is comparable in France, though Melanie became popular earlier there than in the United States.
Today, Melanie ranks in the top 130 names (2).
How Do I Pronounce Melanie?
You pronounce Melanie as “MEL-uh-nee.” There are no standard alternate pronunciations for this spelling.
Is Melanie a Boy or Girl Name?
People most commonly give the name Melanie to female babies, and the closest name for male babies is “Melvin.”
Variations of Melanie
There are many different iterations of Melanie as well. Some of the most popular include:
- Melani (Latin)
- Melania (Slavik)
- Melanee (Irish)
- Melaneigh (Irish)
- Melaney (Irish)
- Melvin (masculine; Irish)
Nicknames for Melanie
There are also many fun ways to turn Melanie into a pet or nickname. Some of the ones that came to mind include:
Similar Names to Melanie
If Melanie isn’t quite what you’re looking for in a baby name, try some of these names instead:
Middle Names for Melanie
Melanie is also a great and straightforward name to pair with a second or middle name. A few that come to mind include:
Sibling Names for Melanie
It can be hard to pair sibling names up. If you are looking for a brother or sister name for Melanie, give these some thought:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Melanie
Because of how widespread the name Melanie is, many people who have become famous have it. Some of the most recognizable names are:
- Mélanie Bernier: French actress best known for her work in the films “Love Addict” and “Blind Date.”
- Mélanie Bonis: French Romantic-period composer best known for her chamber music and piano compositions.
- Melanie Brown: English singer and member of the Spice Girls known as “Mel B.”
- Melanie Chisholm: English singer and Spice Girl known as “Mel C.”
- Melanie Counsell: Director, installation artist, and sculptor from Wales.
- Melanie Klein: Austrian-British writer and psychoanalysis who focused her studies on object-relations theory.
- Melanie Martinez: American singer-songwriter best known for her debut album, “Cry Baby.”
Melanie in Popular Culture
Like there are several famous people with the name, plenty of characters take on the persona of Melanie as well. Some of them are:
- Melanie Barnett: A personality in the TV series “The Game.”
- Melanie Stryder: A personality from the novel The Host by author Stephenie Meyer.
- Melanie Bush: A personality in the TV program “Doctor Who.”
- Melanie Walker: A personality from the animated series “Batman Beyond.”
- Melanie Hamilton: A primary character from the movie and book Gone with the Wind.
- Melanie Jonas: A personality from the daytime soap opera “Days of Our Lives.”
- Melanie Marcus: A personality in the TV program “Queer as Folk.”