- Meaning: Zane means “God is gracious.”
- Gender: Zane is typically a boy’s name.
- Origin: Zane is of Hebrew and Arabic origin.
- Pronunciation: “ZAYN”
- Popularity: Zane is a popular name that currently ranks at 238 on the top 1,000 baby boy names list.
- Nicknames: Zaney, Zanie, Zany, Zay, Zay Zay, Zazu, Zed, and Zu Zu.
- Variations: Zain (Arabic), Zaine (Hebrew), Zayden (Hebrew), Zayn (Arabic), and Zayne (Hebrew).
- Namesakes: Zane Beadles, Zane Buzby, Zane Copeland, Zane Grey, Zane Huett, Zane Lewis, Zayn Malik, Zane Musa, Zane Reynosa, and Zane Williams.
What Does Zane Mean?
The name Zane means “God is gracious.” It can also mean “God’s gracious gift” in alternative meaning. Its variations Zain and Zayne are the Arabic versions of Zane. These variations translate to mean “beauty and grace.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Zane?
Before Zane became more popularized as a given name, it was predominantly a surname. Its transition from a surname to a given name may have been because it is closely related to John.
In the Bible, John is the son of Zebedee. His role is becoming one of the twelve disciples of Jesus in the New Testament. He was known as the youngest of the apostles. His elder brother James was also a part of the integral group.
The name also has Islamic roots from its variant Zain, which means “handsome” and “beauty.” Surprisingly, Zane also has Jewish and German roots because it is an alternative way to spell Zahn.
How Popular Is the Name Zane?
Zane is a popular name at the 238th position on the top 1,000 baby boy names list from the Social Security Administration. The year of its highest popularity was 199th position in 2018 (1).
Zane first entered the list in 1921 at 938. The name has stayed on the list for the past hundred years and has steadily risen in popularity. Its rising popularity in the mid-20th century can be thanks to Zane Grey. The 21st-century popularity spike is because of the One Direction band member, Zayn Malik.
How Do I Pronounce Zane?
Zane is a one-syllable name that is simple to say. Pronounce Zane by saying “ZAYN.”
Is Zane a Boy or Girl Name?
Zane is a name for a baby boy. There is no name ranking information for Zane as a name for baby girls.
Variations of Zane
Try a different name variation to enhance the look of Zane written on paper. Here are the variations of Zane that we think may speak to you:
- Zain (Arabic)
- Zaine (Hebrew)
- Zayden (Hebrew)
- Zayn (Arabic)
- Zayne (Hebrew)
Nicknames for Zane
Zane is a shorter name with zippy possibilities for a nickname. These are the nicknames that we love for Zane:
- Zay Zay
- Zu Zu
Similar Names to Zane
Many names end in “-ane” for you to explore similar-sounding names to Zane. Here are the similar namesakes to Zane that we believe you will like:
Middle Names for Zane
Choose a middle name that speaks to you for your baby Zane. Consider these middle names that we picked out for Zane:
Sibling Names for Zane
Maybe you have a little one named Zane and are searching for the perfect sibling name. These are the brother and sister names that we love paired with Zane:
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Zane
When your little Zane gets older, let him know about what famous people have his namesake. Here are the celebrities with the given name Zane that we thought you should know:
- Zane Beadles: American football player.
- Zane Buzby: American actress.
- Zane Copeland: Real name of the American rapper, Lil’ Zane.
- Zane Huett: American actor.
- Zane Grey: American author and dentist.
- Zane Lewis: American painter.
- Zayn Malik: One Direction band singer.
- Zane Musa: American saxophonist.
- Zane Reynosa: American fashion designer and hip-hop artist.
- Zane Williams: American country singer.
Zane in Popular Culture
Zane as a character name comes up in many cartoons and television shows. Here are some popular culture highlights for this name:
- Zane: Character from the kids’ cartoon, “Ninjago.”
- Zane: Supporting character from the show, “K.C. Undercover.”
- Zane Donovan: Character in the reality television series “Eureka.”
- Zane Park: Supporting character in the reality television series, “Degrassi: The Next Generation.”
- Zane Truesdale: Supporting character in “Yugioh GX” manga and anime franchise.
- Zane Yama: Character in the Marvel comics.
- Zane Zaminski: Character in the film “The Arrival” released in 1996; Charlie Sheen acted in the role.
Zane is a zesty and handsome name and possibly one of your top choices for baby names. As you discover which name is best for your baby, we answer your frequently asked questions about Zane as a baby name.