- Meaning: Zachary, or in its longer form Zechariah, is a Hebrew name that means “God remembers.” It has theophoric roots as well, meaning it bears the name of God.
- Gender: Zachary is most commonly a name given to boys. However, a female version that is slightly less popular exists, Zachary.
- Origin: The origin of the name Zachary is Hebrew, but it has many iterations. One of the books in the Hebrew Bible, Zachariah, was most likely the source of its popularity.
- Pronunciation: The name is most commonly pronounced “ZAK-uh-ree.”
- Popularity: Zachary is a popular name. In the United States, it was ranked 135th in 2020.
- Nicknames: Zac, Zach, Zack, Zacki, Zak.
- Variations: Zacharias, Zakariya, Zakariyya, Zakaria, Zekaria, Zecharia, Zecharias, Zekariah.
- Namesakes: Zachary “Zach” Braff, Zachary “Zac” Efron, Zachary “Zac” Snyder.
- What Does Zachary Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Zachary?
- How Popular Is the Name Zachary?
- How Do I Pronounce Zachary?
- Is Zachary a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Zachary
- Nicknames for Zachary
- Similar Names to Zachary
- Middle Names for Zachary
- Sibling Names for Zachary
- Famous People Named Zachary
- Zachary in Popular Culture
- Zachary FAQs
What Does Zachary Mean?
Zachary, or in its longer form Zechariah, is a Hebrew boy name that means “God remembers.” It has theophoric roots as well, meaning it bears the name of God. “Zakhar“ in the Hebrew language means “to remember” and “Yah” is one of the names for the God of Israel.
Several English transliterations from the original Hebrew Bible exist, including Zechariah, which opted for the letter “E” rather than “A.” Spellings with “A” are more common today (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Zachary?
The origin of the name Zachary is Hebrew, but it has many iterations. One of the books in the Hebrew Bible, Zachariah, was most likely the source of its popularity. From it came several transliterations, including Zechariah, Zachariah, and Zacharias.
The name Zachary has since spread to various languages, cultures, and religions, and accumulated many more variations along the way (2).
How Popular Is the Name Zachary?
Zachary is a popular name. For boys born in the last five years, it has placed in the top 150 names given in the United States. It had previously been in the top 20 for several years. The name held the 135th spot for newborn boys in 2020 (3).
How Do I Pronounce Zachary?
Zachary is most commonly pronounced as “ZAK-uh-ree,” with the emphasis leading off the first syllable.
Is Zachary a Boy or Girl Name?
Zachary is most commonly a name given to boys. However, there is a female version that is slightly less popular, which is Zachary, with a second A.
Variations of Zachary
Zachary is a popular name that has become widespread thanks to its religious significance. Some popular variations include:
- Zacharias (Hebrew)
- Zakariya (Arabic)
- Zakariyya (Arabic)
- Zakaria (Arabic)
- Zekaria (Arabic)
- Zecharia (Hebrew)
- Zecharias (Hebrew)
- Zekariah (Arabic)
Nicknames for Zachary
While there are numerous variations, there are not as many nicknames. A few prominent examples are:
Similar Names to Zachary
There are many names that are similar to Zachary, some of which have biblical links.
Middle Names for Zachary
Zachary has often been used as a middle name. Its versatility ensures that it goes well with many others as a first name, too, such as:
Sibling Names for Zachary
Zachary can pair well with many names. Some of the most popular choices for a sibling are:
For a brother:
And for a sister:
Famous People Named Zachary
Plenty of notable people have had the name Zachary. Other famous Zacharys include:
- Zachary “Zach” Braff: American actor, writer, and director known for his roles in the television series “Scrubs” and the film “Garden State.”
- Zachary “Zac” Brown: American singer and songwriter of the Zac Brown Band.
- Zachary “Zac” Efron: American actor and vocalist who rose to fame in “High School Musical.”
- Zachary “Zach” Galifianakis: American writer, actor, and comedian known for his role in The Hangover movie series, amongst others.
- Zachary “Zac” Snyder: American director, writer, and producer who is known for his films “The Watchmen,” “Man of Steel,” and “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.”
Zachary in Popular Culture
The name Zachary has frequently appeared in popular culture. Some of the most recognizable characters are:
- Zack Fair: Fictional character from the video game “Final Fantasy VII.”
- Zack Johnson: Character from the television program “The Big Bang Theory.”
- Zack Martin: One of the main characters from the television series “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”
- Zachary “Zack” Morris: The main character from the television series “Saved by the Bell.”
- Zach Taylor: Fictional character of the black ranger from the original cast of “The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.”
Here are a few commonly asked questions about the name Zachary.
Is Zachary an Irish Name?
As a last name, Zachary has served as an Irish boy name and was first traced back to Derbyshire. However, some Irish boys use the name “Zachary.” It has been pronounced in Irish as “Saichairí.”
Is Zachary a German Name?
Zachary is also a German name, as well as Czech. It still serves as the shortened version of Zacharias or Zachariáš. In Germany, the name can mean “tenacious” or “stubborn.”
In these countries, the name Zachary, or Zachariah, is most commonly used as a last name, rather than first. Zach is also a slang word used by high school-aged students.