- Meaning: Natalie means ‘child born on Christmas,’ ‘birthday,’ or ‘Christmas.’
- Gender: Natalie is usually only used as a female name.
- Origin: Natalie originated from the Latin phrase natale domini. The name gained popularity first in French culture than in English culture.
- Pronunciation: The most common pronunciation for Natalie is NA-tUH-lee. The emphasis is on the first syllable and slightly carries into the second.
- Popularity: Natalie is considered a very popular and timeless name. It has been in the top 50 names for girls for over two decades.
- Nicknames: Natalie are Nat, Nattie, Natha, Lee, and Tallie.
- Variations: Natalia, Natalee, Nathalie, and Nataleigh.
- Namesakes: Natalie Portman, Natalie Coughlin, Natalie Grant, Natalie Cole.
- What Does Natalie Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Natalie?
- How Popular is the Name Natalie?
- How Do I Pronounce Natalie?
- Is Natalie a Girl or Boy Name?
- Variations of Natalie
- Nicknames for Natalie
- Similar Names to Natalie
- Middle Names for Natalie
- Sibling Names for Natalie
- Famous People Named Natalie
- Natalie in Popular Culture
- Natalie FAQs
What Does Natalie Mean?
Natalie means ‘birthday,’ ‘Christmas,’ or ‘child born at Christmas.’ Evidence suggests that the three-syllable name means the same thing in all variations and cultures regardless of spelling.
What is the Origin of the Name Natalie?
Natalie is a name of French and English origin with the roots of the original phrase that inspired the moniker of Latin etymology. The Latin phrase that inspired Natalie is natale domini. This phrase means ‘birth of the Lord.’
Natalie was first used as a name in French culture as Natalia, then adopted in English culture in its current spelling form.
How Popular is the Name Natalie?
Natalie has stayed fairly consistent in the past few decades sitting in the top 50 for the entirety of the last few decades (1).
There was a spike in popularity in the early 2000s. At that time, the name was in the top 20 for multiple years. At present, the name is at the lowest it has been in the last few decades. It is sitting at 51st in popularity. Still, it is very popular since it is still in the top 100.
How Do I Pronounce Natalie?
Natalie has a couple of pronunciation variations.
For the English version of Natalie, you pronounce the name NA-tUH-lee. The emphasis is on the first syllable, with a slight emphasis on the second. Natalia is the French version of Natalie. The common pronunciation for this version is na-TALL-ya. Here, the emphasis is on the second syllable.
Is Natalie a Girl or Boy Name?
Natalie is most commonly used as a female name. There are not many instances recorded, so far, that show it used as a male name. Nate or Nathaniel are counterparts to the female name Natalie.
Variations of Natalie
Natalie does have a few notable variations in both spelling and pronunciation. Here is a list of the most common variations and their roots.
- Natalee (English)
- Nataleigh (English)
- Natalia (French)
- Natalie (English)
- Natali (English)
- Nataly (English)
- Nathalie (English, common in England)
Nicknames for Natalie
Natalie also lends itself to many nicknames because it is a multi-syllable name. Here are a few common nicknames for Natalie.
Similar Names to Natalie
Want a name similar in meaning or spelling to Natalie? We have got you covered!
Middle Names for Natalie
Natalie is a beautiful name. It lends itself to pairing well with either monosyllabic middle names or disyllabic middle names. Here are a few ideas for what names you should pair with Natalie.
Sibling Names for Natalie
Similar to middle names, sibling names can be hard to pair well. However, there are many names with similar meanings to Natalie you can use as sibling names. Here is a list of our top choices.
Famous People Named Natalie
Natalie is a common and beautiful name. No wonder so many famous people have this name!
- Natalie of Serbia: Queen of Serbia.
- Natalie Blair: Australian soap opera actress.
- Natalie Cole: American singer, voice actress, songwriter, and actress.
- Natalie Coughlin: American Olympic swimmer.
- Natalie Grant: contemporary Christian music artist and songwriter.
- Natalie Morales: American journalist.
- Natalie Portman: American-Israeli actress and filmmaker.
- Natalie Wood: American actress.
Natalie in Popular Culture
- Natalie: A 2010 South Korean film.
- Natalie: Song from Bruno Mars’ Unorthodox Jukebox album.
- Natalie Natalia: 1971 novel by Nicholas Mosely.
- Natalie Cook: Character from the Charlie’s Angels franchise.
- Natalie Green: Character from the sitcom The Facts of Life.
- Natalia Romanova: Character from the Marvel Universe, better known as Black Widow.